Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Aura freezing after deleting books

I've run into an odd issue with my Aura. I decided to delete a couple of sideloaded books from the uSD card so located them in the library, long press and deleted. Everything looked fine and I continued reading. The Aura is set to power off after 1 hour so the next morning I powered it on and it froze while doing the empty/black boxes on the screen. Ended up doing a factory reset to get out of the lockup.

Since the only difference from my normal use was the deletion of a couple of books, I decided to try that again. Deleted a couple of books from the uSD card and power cycled. Same freeze at what seemed to be the same point with one black and 4 empty boxes on screen. This time, I removed the uSD card and reset. Booted up with blank images where the uSD card books should be. Opened an internal storage book and it read okay. Then I re-inserted the uSD card. After a short wait, the Aura froze. Powered off, removed the uSD card, powered on and got back to the home screen. Inserted uSD card and the Aura froze again. Factory reset, inserted uSD card, processing content and everything is happy again.

Being a bit of a stubborn type, tried the delete and power cycle one more time. Yep, froze up again.

Next question being is that if my Aura is defective in some way or has anyone else noticed this behaviour?

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You should contact the Kobo help desk for assistance on your issue. They have a live chat where you get someone to help you right away
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
You should contact the Kobo help desk for assistance on your issue. They have a live chat where you get someone to help you right away
Ummm... been there, done that. After 10 minutes, I managed to convince them that I had a problem and it was reproducible so it would be bounced upwards.

The reason I posted the message here is that no one else has complained about this problem. It could be that I am the only person who has over 1500 books on a uSD card and has manually deleted books to trigger this issue. Not that likely but it's possible.

It's not up there with losing 2 lines of text to the book name at the top of the screen just like in dead tree books but I was hoping someone else was experiencing the issue. Misery does love company.

You will notice I took the bright optimistic view that your post was a serious comment. The little guy on my left shoulder was supplying some interesting suggestions but I chose not to listen to him...this time.

Regards,
David
Old 05-11-2013, 07:13 AM   #4
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm sorry but I don't fully understand what you mean ?
What post being serious ? In this thread, I advised you to contact Kobo for help and I just said that to help, sorry if it did not sound serious. I had a small Wifi issue and got it fixed with their live chat help desk so I thought it would be a good idea for you to try it.

As for your hint on the margin issue with firmware 2.5.2 it's two lines lost on top added to two lines lost at the bottom so it's a grand total of 4 lines lost, roughly the difference between a 6" and a 7" reader.

But about your issue, I have not experienced it so I cannot help you any better than that. I have heard about people complaining about issues with books loaded on the SD card. I think Kobo has some hardware glitches when using that external memory solution but I cannot say for sure. Hope you find a solution to that,
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
It's not up there with losing 2 lines of text to the book name at the top of the screen just like in dead tree books but I was hoping someone else was experiencing the issue. Misery does love company.

You will notice I took the bright optimistic view that your post was a serious comment.

Last edited by Quexos; 05-11-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
SouLThinking
Enthusiast
SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I've run into an odd issue with my Aura. I decided to delete a couple of sideloaded books from the uSD card so located them in the library, long press and deleted. Everything looked fine and I continued reading. The Aura is set to power off after 1 hour so the next morning I powered it on and it froze while doing the empty/black boxes on the screen. Ended up doing a factory reset to get out of the lockup.

Since the only difference from my normal use was the deletion of a couple of books, I decided to try that again. Deleted a couple of books from the uSD card and power cycled. Same freeze at what seemed to be the same point with one black and 4 empty boxes on screen. This time, I removed the uSD card and reset. Booted up with blank images where the uSD card books should be. Opened an internal storage book and it read okay. Then I re-inserted the uSD card. After a short wait, the Aura froze. Powered off, removed the uSD card, powered on and got back to the home screen. Inserted uSD card and the Aura froze again. Factory reset, inserted uSD card, processing content and everything is happy again.

Being a bit of a stubborn type, tried the delete and power cycle one more time. Yep, froze up again.

Next question being is that if my Aura is defective in some way or has anyone else noticed this behaviour?

Regards,
David
OMG Exactly what I have been dealing with! I haven't read further so I don't know if you have solved this. ...but I am just happy to find someone else with issues. ..not happy but ..you know..glad it's not just me.
SouLThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
A few weeks ago I had the same issue with the Aura freezing while I was using the microSD card. Since I'm only using the card as a backup of my Calibre library & don't read from it, ultimately I ended up just ejecting the card & have not reinserted it since. No freeze ups since that time either.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouLThinking View Post
OMG Exactly what I have been dealing with! I haven't read further so I don't know if you have solved this. ...but I am just happy to find someone else with issues. ..not happy but ..you know..glad it's not just me.
Have you tried to log out of your kobo account on the reader and re log back it. It sounds like a bit of database corruption

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:06 AM   #8
CrazyReaderT9
CrazyReaderT9 began at the beginning.

I'm dealing with the same issue:
i load all my ebooks to my microsd card. Well, then i connect my kobo aura hd to the pc for cleaning ebooks i don't need anymore.
Everytime i got this problem:
the kobo aura hd freeze when it try to update the books database.
You know, would be nice to solve the issue. Hell, this device was not cheaper at all!
Thanks
CrazyReaderT9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:59 AM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyReaderT9 View Post
I'm dealing with the same issue:
i load all my ebooks to my microsd card. Well, then i connect my kobo aura hd to the pc for cleaning ebooks i don't need anymore.
Everytime i got this problem:
the kobo aura hd freeze when it try to update the books database.
You know, would be nice to solve the issue. Hell, this device was not cheaper at all!
Thanks
Actually, the problem I saw was fixed in later editions of Kobo's firmware. The reader was not actually hung but was taking literally hours to rescan books on the external SD card after any changes were made. It seems to have been related to very slow startup times when powering on with a large collection of ebooks on the external uSD card. The 3.2.0 firmware has another issue where adding large numbers of books is slow during the initial scan and add to database sequence but that is most noticeable when I do a factory reset and rescan 2000+ books.

If you are using Windows XP and an AMD chipset, there were known issues where the ereader would be disconnected from the computer when larger amounts of data were being transferred. I've also since seen this on a couple of laptops with Intel's USB 3.0 though the later updates seem to have fixed the issue.

How are you removing the ebooks using your PC? Calibre or just deleting them? Calibre will handle removing the ebooks from the database as well as deleting the files while just deleting them is a great way to generate a corrupted database.

Regards,
David
Old 04-06-2014, 05:00 AM   #10
CrazyReaderT9

well, i usually add ebooks with calibre but i remove them simply deleting the files.
I usually add 5 comics at time plus one ebook and i already have something like 30 objects or so in the database.
I'll try to delete them with calibre and i'll see if will make any difference
Also delete the old database and let's kobo to create a fresh new one may be a good idea?
Thanks
Old 04-06-2014, 05:55 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyReaderT9 View Post
well, i usually add ebooks with calibre but i remove them simply deleting the files.
With the FW3.2.0, this is fairly safe. When you disconnect the device checks for the existence of the files and removes the database entries for any files that are no longer there.

Older firmware didn't do this. The book entries would stay on the database. I think they were cleaned up if you tried to open the book.
Quote:
I usually add 5 comics at time plus one ebook and i already have something like 30 objects or so in the database.
I'll try to delete them with calibre and i'll see if will make any difference
Deleting from calibre will clean all the database entries up as well as removing the file.
Quote:

Also delete the old database and let's kobo to create a fresh new one may be a good idea?
Thanks
If there is an actual problem with the database, this might be a good idea. I would do a check on the database first. If it is OK, I'd do a compress on it as well. That will force a reorganisation of the database and remove any unused space. That might help but I don't know how much.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #12
CrazyReaderT9

Yep, if i delete my books trought calibre everything seem fine.
Thanks for the support
Old 04-22-2014, 04:46 PM   #13
dvd8n
Connoisseur
dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Hanvon h516, Kobo Aura HD
I've noticed that if I delete books from the SD card on my Kobo Aura HD, using the delete function on the Kobo menu, then I will get a hang about one time in 6. The screen will corrupt and I will need to reset with a pin.
dvd8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:08 AM   #14
CrazyReaderT9

yes, just use calibre connecting kobo to the pc but if you have bought an ebook well... then i fear you have to delete it trought the kobo function or manually...