Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
arcanemethods
arcanemethods began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Stand Alone?

Can calibre be installed as a stand alone app (like uTorrent can?) I'm currently using calibre to manage non-Amazon books on a Kindle. My calibre libraries for the Kindle are on the Kindle itself mounted as a drive.

Is it possible to have executable calibre on the Kindle drive so that I can run it from whatever computer (XP, Vista, Win7) I have it have it connected to (which may have never seen calibre before?)

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited by arcanemethods; 08-23-2010 at 06:20 PM.
arcanemethods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Pretty sure not as it has configuration directory etc.
But you could put installer on and install it when you needed to
edit
Oops just remembered there is a portable version with a few less features
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
arcanemethods

Many thanks. Googling on "portable calibre" turned this up as the first hit.

http://portableapps.com/node/20518

We'll see how it flies.

Bob
Old 08-24-2010, 02:00 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you only want to run it on Windows then you can use the batch file I have posted a number of times in this forum (I am not near my PC to post it again at the moment). Using this approach has the advantage that you can always use the latest Calibre release and not have to wait until the Portable apps people pick it up.

If you want the batch file posted again in this thread leave a response asking for it and I will do it as soon as I am near my PC again.

Edit: I got to my PC, so decided to upload the batch file anyway. Use a text editor such as Notepad to tweak it to your exact requirements (copious comments are included to help).
Attached Files
File Type: bat CalibreRun.bat (4.4 KB, 208 views)

Last edited by itimpi; 08-24-2010 at 05:56 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@itimpi: I've added your batch file to the standard calibre release, in the resources subdirectory. Hope that's OK. Also would you mind writing a short howto on using it, I'll add that to the FAQ, then you will not have to keep reposting this answer.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No problem.

I'll produce a short write-up on the best way to use it. What is the best way to get that included? I could email it to you, upload it here, or any other method you recommend.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:14 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any of those ways is fine
Old 08-26-2010, 01:43 AM   #8
arcanemethods

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Also would you mind writing a short howto on using it, I'll add that to the FAQ, then you will not have to keep reposting this answer.
Could you post here when you've add that to the FAQ?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 08-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #9
itimpi
Wizard

Attached is an attempt at my HowTo. Feel free to amend as you deem appropriate.

I produced it in RTF format so I could do a little formatting. I am guessing you will convert it to something else for inclusion in the FAQ?
Attached Files
File Type: rtf CalibreRun HowTo.rtf (63.7 KB, 249 views)
Old 08-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Doesn't the microsoft visual c runtime need to be installed on the host computer?
Old 08-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #11
itimpi
Wizard

Probably. I just assumed that any up-to-date installation would inlude it.

Do you know off-hand what the error message is if the correct version is not available?

Last edited by itimpi; 08-26-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Doesn't the microsoft visual c runtime need to be installed on the host computer?
It is just a .bat file (shell script). Why would it require VC runtimes?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:43 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Because calibre does.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #14
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
You should, from what I remember about path assumptions during runtime, be able to dump the relevant DLL files into the Calibre binary directory. However, getting them without might be messy- I just had a quick look inside the installer (2008 version, if that matters, and thanks to 7zip), and the inside of the CAB file looked... well, complicated adequately describes it. You'd have to identify which files are supposed to be DLLs, extract those and rename- something a casual user might find hard.
On the other hand, people who want to use this may not be casual users. Or it might be possible to extract the files, repackage them and offer them as an additional download, I haven't read the fineprint.
Just my thoughts.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:43 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If only it were that easy. Microsoft for reasons likely having to do with the microness and softness of their brains decided to make the runtimes SxS assemblies. Just copying them into the PATH is not sufficient to have it work.