Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #46
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
To me, part of the bookclub is about learning about the scope of written work in the world so I'm going to throw my third nomination away to that end on this one.

]The Mythopoeic Award is awarded for outstanding works in the fields of myth, fantasy, and the scholarly study of these areas.

I'm nominating The Orphan's Tales: In the Night Garden by Catherynne M. Valente. It's the first of two books. It's long, over 600 pages. It's not the easiest read. But if you love myth and folklore and aren't afraid of phrases that aren't easily digested then you would probably enjoy this book. It was one of my favourite books I read in 2011.

The two books one the award in 2008.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #47
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I'll second Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #48
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
American Sphinx: The Character of Thomas Jefferson by Joseph J. Ellis still needs a third. I've long been intrigued by Jefferson. His strengths, weaknesses, and contradictions make for absorbing reading. Even when choosing my food at buffets, I think of Jefferson and what Jefferson portrayer Clay Jenkinson said was his preference: "Just enough meat to season the vegetables." Doesn't anyone want to read about this fascinating man of inspiring noble ideas and feet of clay?
I will third this.

We were at American Village, which is a historical museum / educational facility near Birmingham Alabama, in April and saw a short presentation by an actor who was in character as a young Thomas Jefferson and it was quite fascinating, so I am intrigued by this nomination. It is available from my library as an ebook or hard copy, with only one person in line before me for the Kindle version. I have been intending to read more non-fiction this year anyway, so I will read this regardless.

I am sure this is just whoever wrote the blurb's fault not the author's, but this line in the blurb turned me off a little...
Quote:
his auspicious death (on July 4, 1896)
Hard to take a biography seriously if they don't even have the date of his death right.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #49
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
I'd like to give my third and last vote to third Interpreter of Maladies.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #50
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some links for the books I nominated:

The Orphan's Tales: In the Night Garden
amazon.com
chapters.ca
barnes and noble

Interpreter of Maladies
chapters.ca
amazon.com
barnes and noble
Advert
Old 05-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #51
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
All interesting books. I wish I had more votes for the nominations.........
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #52
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
I'd like to give my third and last vote to third Interpreter of Maladies.
I think this closes out the nomination period.

Now that it is done, I will comment on how open the category is by posting this: List of Literary Awards and List of Literary Awards by Country

I know there was discussion when choosing categories that these should be "major" awards, but that wasn't what was finalized. Just looking at the "American Literary Awards" there are 227 different awards that would have qualified and the list isn't intended to be exhaustive - just those that have separate wiki pages. If I hadn't been so busy at work this week I would have tried to find a couple even more obscure ones and nominated something from them. Maybe a good "splatterpunk" award or something. I seem to remember some "interest" in that category.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #53
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Yes, nominations are now closed. Poll coming soon. Thanks you , one and all!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #54
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I think this closes out the nomination period.

Now that it is done, I will comment on how open the category is by posting this: List of Literary Awards and List of Literary Awards by Country

I know there was discussion when choosing categories that these should be "major" awards, but that wasn't what was finalized. Just looking at the "American Literary Awards" there are 227 different awards that would have qualified and the list isn't intended to be exhaustive - just those that have separate wiki pages. If I hadn't been so busy at work this week I would have tried to find a couple even more obscure ones and nominated something from them. Maybe a good "splatterpunk" award or something. I seem to remember some "interest" in that category.
I think making it any prize makes it more open to interesting options. I was late to the nomination party and would have looked for something from a poetry prize.

Or you could go to the obscure like the Diagram prize and something like The Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America: A Guide to Field Identification. Anyone looking for a gift for me could get me a copy of that one. I would very much appreciate it.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #55
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The Poll!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #56
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
To me, part of the bookclub is about learning about the scope of written work in the world so I'm going to throw my third nomination away to that end on this one.

]The Mythopoeic Award is awarded for outstanding works in the fields of myth, fantasy, and the scholarly study of these areas.

I'm nominating The Orphan's Tales: In the Night Garden by Catherynne M. Valente. It's the first of two books. It's long, over 600 pages. It's not the easiest read. But if you love myth and folklore and aren't afraid of phrases that aren't easily digested then you would probably enjoy this book. It was one of my favourite books I read in 2011.

The two books one the award in 2008.
I was going to nominate Waking the Moon which won that award in 1996 - especially as I'm reading it now.

I have a few books by Catherynne M. Valente. Maybe one day I'll actually get to reading one of them.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote