Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
Mastiff
Viking proof reader
Mastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3
Any larges screen (14"+) color readers or tablets on the way?

I am seriously considering buying the new 18" tablet from Dell, when/if that comes. But are there any other large color tablets or readers on the way in the near future? I want something that I can read large format comic books on without zooming out or moving the page while I read. So 14" would probably be the minimum size. I asked about this a year or so ago, but will I have to ask next year as well?
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
Mastiff
Viking proof reader
Mastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

From the overvelding response it looks like I'm going to have to ask again next year, yeah... 97 views, not one answer.
Advert
Old 01-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
From the overvelding response it looks like I'm going to have to ask again next year, yeah... 97 views, not one answer.
Some Googling would have turned up the Sony Vaio Tap 20 and the new Panasonic 20" one they showed at CES.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
Mastiff
Viking proof reader

Thanks, I know about those. But my criterium was a large size comic book in full format, which means that even the Dell one is unecessary large. So I'm looking for something minimum 14" and up to the Dell. Around 16" would be perfect, and none of the "super tablets"/all-in-ones are as far as I know now in that size.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
What about getting a convertible laptop? Lenovo Yoga is 13", so almost the size you want.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2013, 01:30 AM   #6
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Archos Arnova Family pad and Toshiba Excite 13 (AT330/AT830) are both android tabs with 13.3' screen. Same as a Macbook.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:27 AM   #7
Mastiff
Viking proof reader

Yeah, but they're still too small. I thought 14" was the absolute minimum because of the large screen comic books I want in full size, but I just double checked, and that's wrong. It's 15,6". I based it on my daughter's laptop, which I thought was 14". Turns out that it is 15,6". Are there any convertibles in that size? The closest I have found is the HP's Spectre XT TouchSmart 15t-4000, but that's not convertible even though it has a touch screen.

I have tried to read with a regular laptop in portrait mode, but that really didn't feel right. This is all about feel, about really enjoying Asterix, Lucky Luke, Conan in big book format, Mad and so on. I am moving to a much smaller place with my wife in a few years, when my last kid moves out, and by then I really need to hav something like that because I have to either sell or put in storage everything I have of comic books and so on. I'm going fully digital by then. And it would be nice to get it in advance, so I have the chance to get used to it and see if I can sell the comic books or if I have to keep them in storage. I'm a bit anal when it comes to those comic books, I know...

Edit: Come to think of it I would prefer not going as high as the 18" Dell that's coming. I think it will be uncomfortable to hold. But 15.6-17" would be the sweet spot, I guess.

Last edited by Mastiff; 01-15-2013 at 02:58 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:35 AM   #8
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
http://www.mmt2.com/products/monitor2go/

I suppose you could try something like this.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:56 AM   #9
Mastiff
Viking proof reader

I have looked at that, but it seems a bit backwards to have somehting that I can't use most of the features on (no iCrap will ever touch my fingers!) and that has to be tethered to a computer or a tablet. Especially since it isn't touchscreen, using it open with the tablet in a holder (if I had one that would fit in there) would be just like reading comic books on a laptop. If they ever come with a touchscreen version that uses WiFi Display technology that would be a totally different matter, though.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
Mastiff
Viking proof reader

I have to say that if Dell made a Latitude XT5 (XT3 is only 13", so an XT5 would probably be 15.6"), I'd probably buy that and live happily ever after. But I have tried to google a bit, and there are no mention of any such plans, unfortunately. The great thing about that one would be that I could use it for work too, since it can use the docking stations I'm using my Precision M6500 on now.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #11
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
Yeah, but they're still too small.

[...]

I have tried to read with a regular laptop in portrait mode, but that really didn't feel right. This is all about feel, about really enjoying Asterix, Lucky Luke, Conan in big book format, Mad and so on.
FWIW, I find Asterix to be perfectly readable on an iPad 3.
There isn't really anything magic about exactly matching the original size, bring it closer to your face it looks bigger, further away it looks smaller.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #12
Mastiff
Viking proof reader

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, I guess. I want it full sized, and nothing else. An iPad is far to small. I have an 10.1" Notion Ink Adam that I use for proof reading and websurfing, but I won't even read regular sized comic books on it, it's too small.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #13
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
why so big?
2 page spread?
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #14
Mastiff
Viking proof reader

Can I guess that you didn't read the first post of the thread? Large format comic books without zooming or moving the page. Later in the thread Asterix is mentioned, along with Lucky Luke, Conan large format and so on. If you have seen any of those, you will know that they are bigger than a 14" screen. And I want them full size or not at all.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:49 AM   #15
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
I think if you are going to insist on that, then the only solution is likely to be a convertible laptop, where the screen flips or swivels to form a fat tablet.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote