Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-24-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
restricting write access for calibre

Is there a way by which I can make calibre have no write access to my library
from a particualr installation.
I have put my library in dropbox and would like to give my sister access to it. With calibre she should use the send to option to create the format she wants for her device. But I dont want her to have the ablity to change any of my original files or the metadata that has taken me months to setup.

I don't trust her not to mess around with my library
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can mark the dropbox folder as read only I believe.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That was in the help file so I guess it wont work at the moment

All members of a shared folder have full read and write privileges. Setting read-only permissions isn't currently possible, but the feature is on Dropbox's roadmap.

Some permissions systems are incompatible between operating systems. For example, a file with read-only access on your Windows computer may not be protected on your Mac. Dropbox doesn't change a file's permissions when syncing, but can't guarantee the permissions you set in one operating system will work properly when opened from another computer.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:05 PM   #4
Dopedangel
Wizard

plus I was wondering if dropbox ever does get access restriction will changing files crash or cause problems with calibre if both are open at the same time
Old 02-25-2010, 12:08 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, read only access wont cause any problems with multiple calibre instances.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:02 AM   #6
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I don't know about Dropbox (I don't even know what it is exactly) but with Microsoft Live Mesh it works great. I'm the one managing the books in our houshold and my wife is only reading them.

My Calibre folder is in the Mesh. Ik can do anything I want there on my PC, laptop or anywhere in the world on any PC. My wife has only read access on anything she uses.

In this way she always has the latest version of the library and cannot by accident delete or change books.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
In this way she always has the latest version of the library and cannot by accident delete or change books.
If she reads this, you are dead!

Back on topic.

The Dropbox site says:
All members of a shared folder have full read and write privileges. Setting read-only permissions isn't currently possible, but the feature is on Dropbox's roadmap.

Seems a very, very strange omission from a file sharing site.

Last edited by banjomike; 02-25-2010 at 11:03 AM.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:58 AM   #8
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
If she reads this, you are dead!
No, it is exactly the way she wants it. She simply wants them available and noting more. It gives her the freedom to do what she wants with her computer without having to think about the books. She also works on a 'limited' account on her laptop. She knows the admin password but it is much safer not to use a account with admin rights.

Quote:
Back on topic.

The Dropbox site says:

Seems a very, very strange omission from a file sharing site.
So if you need the flexibility a look at Live Mesh can be usefull
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:15 AM   #9
Dopedangel
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
No, it is exactly the way she wants it. She simply wants them available and noting more. It gives her the freedom to do what she wants with her computer without having to think about the books. She also works on a 'limited' account on her laptop. She knows the admin password but it is much safer not to use a account with admin rights.

So if you need the flexibility a look at Live Mesh can be usefull
live doesn't support linux which is the version of calibre I use. Where as dropbox supports it. Sugarsynnc also does not support linux or I would have gone with it
as it supports all the mobile OS like andriod, Palm, windows mobile and Ipod.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:55 AM   #10
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
live doesn't support linux which is the version of calibre I use. Where as dropbox supports it. Sugarsynnc also does not support linux or I would have gone with it
as it supports all the mobile OS like andriod, Palm, windows mobile and Ipod.
I think the key point is one that you made in your original post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I don't trust her not to mess around with my library .
If that is correct then you MUST only use a service that will allow you to protect your files ie make them read-only. Dropbox cannot do that therefore Dropbox cannot be a solution to your problem, irrespective of linux support.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote