Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #211
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Yes, my email said this:

The New Kobo Aura will be released on September 16 in United States, Canada, France, Australia. New Zealand, Italy and United Kingdom.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:39 AM   #212
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Yes, my email said this:

The New Kobo Aura will be released on September 16 in United States, Canada, France, Australia. New Zealand, Italy and United Kingdom.
I'm in New Zealand and so far my local bookshop that sells Kobos (Whitcoulls) still doesn't have the Aura HD for sale!
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:21 AM   #213
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Does anyone know if John Lewis sold the Aura HD? I am hoping they get the new Aura as I prefer buying of them if I can as their customer service is very good.

I've never bought an ereader online except for the Kindle, I was wondering, the 7 day return policy for online purchases, does that work for Kobo? And would it work if I turned it on and decided I didn't like it after all?
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:36 AM   #214
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Not sure when it'll be in stock instore at WH Smith, but you can pre-order it via the Kobo website where it states that pre-orders will begin shipping on 11th September.

http://www.kobo.com/kobo-aura.html

I want to see it in person first before making up my mind, and I do remember it being a while before WH Smith got any demo models of the Glo in stock when it was first released.
I'm curious, When ordering from the Kobo website do they ship from within the uk ? I couldn't find any info on their web site regarding this
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:30 AM   #215
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
You are probably correct that it was available to buy fairly quickly after the official launch, but there weren't any demo models to have a play with for quite a few weeks. I tried 3 different shops at the time, from what I remember, 2 didn't really know what I was asking about (they knew they had Kobo readers but didn't realise there was a new model), in the third shop the lady I spoke to was far more helpful, said they'd been promised a couple of Glo demo models but a week after the Kobo had been launched, she still didn't know when they would get them. Hopefully they'll be a little more organised this time. Though as I plan to wait until the Paperwhite is available too, I'd imagine Waterstones and Tesco will be the same as WH Smith, not guaranteed to get demo models straight away.

As for whether Kobo ship from within the UK, I've no idea? I've no doubt they will have some kind of distribution base in either the UK or mainland Europe. Perhaps someone who pre-ordered a Glo in the UK might know how soon they got theirs?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #216
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
You are probably correct that it was available to buy fairly quickly after the official launch, but there weren't any demo models to have a play with for quite a few weeks. I tried 3 different shops at the time, from what I remember, 2 didn't really know what I was asking about (they knew they had Kobo readers but didn't realise there was a new model), in the third shop the lady I spoke to was far more helpful, said they'd been promised a couple of Glo demo models but a week after the Kobo had been launched, she still didn't know when they would get them. Hopefully they'll be a little more organised this time. Though as I plan to wait until the Paperwhite is available too, I'd imagine Waterstones and Tesco will be the same as WH Smith, not guaranteed to get demo models straight away.
That's interesting, whereabouts are you in the UK? I found the Glo in Watford WHS very soon after launch - then, after playing with it, purchased online.

I've currently got the PW 1 but am looking forward to leaving Kindle world and getting collections working with Calibre again without the need to jailbreak and generally mess around. I was considering the Sony T3 but am concerned that not being front lit, the screen will be mid grey again and lacking in contrast on cloudy UK days.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #217
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
I'm in New Zealand and so far my local bookshop that sells Kobos (Whitcoulls) still doesn't have the Aura HD for sale!
I think you'll be seeing a much more organized, widespread launch of the Aura. The AuraHD was pitched as a limited edition model for "high-end" users, so I doubt they ever planned widespread distribution for it.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:42 AM   #218
huari
Enthusiast
huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle me, Sony Reader missus
tldr: hardware is tops
Engadget review is different from their first look
huari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:48 AM   #219
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Yes, my email said this:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #220
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am waiting for the 16th...if the pink one doesn't show on the web site to order, I'll order the black one....I really want this Aura!
Old 09-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #221
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by huari View Post
Here is the link to the text review.

They say: The Kobo Aura is the best flagship e-reader on the market. Wow!

Last edited by booklover6; 09-09-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #222
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I am waiting for the 16th...if the pink one doesn't show on the web site to order, I'll order the black one....I really want this Aura!
Are you sure you won't regret it?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #223
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Here is the link to the text review.

They say: The Kobo Aura is the best flagship e-reader on the market. Wow!
That Engadget review is actually pretty good for a < 5 minute thing. Far better than the 15+ minutes Good eReader spent with it.

Looks like a beautiful product. I can't quite justify upgrading from my Glo -- yet -- but hands-down it easily looks like one of the best readers out there. They have the hardware down, now time to double-down on the software. The thing is, they're so close already...just start hammering out bug fixes and leave the new features to a minimum. Tweak a few things here and there and I really believe they'd have the best reader, no questions asked.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #224
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Are you sure you won't regret it?
Well, it is just the back that's pink. And if I can find a nice after market cover like I have for my Glo, it'll be covered anyway. But still, I'll wait til next week just in case they do get it up for ordering.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #225
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
That Engadget review is actually pretty good for a < 5 minute thing. Far better than the 15+ minutes Good eReader spent with it.

Looks like a beautiful product. I can't quite justify upgrading from my Glo -- yet -- but hands-down it easily looks like one of the best readers out there. They have the hardware down, now time to double-down on the software. The thing is, they're so close already...just start hammering out bug fixes and leave the new features to a minimum. Tweak a few things here and there and I really believe they'd have the best reader, no questions asked.
Yeah they always want to "fix what ain't broke!" I'm on the latest 2.8.1 but haven't decided if I want to go back to 2.6.1, those sliders are so handy. Why take them away?!?!?