Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-19-2009, 07:05 AM   #1
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Charger for PRS-600

With a bit of luck I can order my PRS-600 next week. Since I don't want to be ripped off by Sony I've been looking into getting a universal usb wall charger with usb-psp wire.

I've found the usb-psp wire at the same store I'll be buying the reader from. But I've seen 2 types of usb wall chargers: the 500mA and the 1000mA. Which one is better? I would prefer the 1000mA because I can use it to charge my PDA and MP3 player with it too.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
MSJim
Bookworm
MSJim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook STR
Either charger will work. The 1000mA model will just charge the reader faster. I'd go with the bigger charger.
MSJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
diggery
diggery began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader Touch
PSP Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
With a bit of luck I can order my PRS-600 next week. Since I don't want to be ripped off by Sony I've been looking into getting a universal usb wall charger with usb-psp wire.

I've found the usb-psp wire at the same store I'll be buying the reader from. But I've seen 2 types of usb wall chargers: the 500mA and the 1000mA. Which one is better? I would prefer the 1000mA because I can use it to charge my PDA and MP3 player with it too.
I have a PSP charger that has 2000mA. Can this be used to charge the Sony eReader? Would it overload the reader?
diggery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #4
quisvir
Addict
quisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggery View Post
I have a PSP charger that has 2000mA. Can this be used to charge the Sony eReader? Would it overload the reader?
2000mA works just fine, I have one just the same. I think the 2000mA indicates the amount of current it can put through, not that it necessarily does so.
quisvir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
The original Sony eReader charger is 2000mA so the PSP charger should work fine.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #6
Cue
Cue began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Hi and thank you for the tips everyone. saved myself some money. One thing I've noticed though is that the PSP charger is a 5V adaptor but the PRS-600 has 5.2V printed next to the socket, is this a problem or would it work anyway.
Cue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:11 PM   #7
CraftyDan
Zealot
CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PRS-600 and PRS-350
This keeps getting asked, so I'll wade in . . .

** Warning: High EE Nerd Content -- Reader discretion advised **

To be sure of the tolerances, you'd need to look at the chip specs for charging. I'm Sorry but I'm not taking mine apart to read the board and chips to find the charger/regulators on the unit and looking up their data sheets. I like you guys, but that's too much like real work

Anyways, 5.2v out of a USB port is not uncommon, and it wouldn't surprise me to find Sony's 5.2v adapter running 5.3, 5.4 or more(!) when it's disconnected. Most of those voltage ratings are for "under load" and depend on how well the adapter is regulated. If you're using an AC/USB or DC/USB adapter, they're probably close enough in voltage and regulated well enough for your reader.

Either way, I'd worry much more about over-voltages than under-voltages -- over can burn out circuitry, while under usually robs performance (in this case charging slowly or not at all). It's possible for under-voltage to damage circuitry, but my knee jerk reaction is that 0.2v under makes a slim chance for it.

Do watch the amp rating -- but you're probably still fine. The Amp rating is usually a measure of current that CAN be drawn at the stated voltage. Draw less, and no one cares (after all, with the device unplugged, you're drawing 0 amps and the adapter doesn't seem to mind).

Try to draw more than rated and you can have source overheating and/or voltage dropout (severe under-voltage). The failure modes for over-current depends on how the source and target hardware are set up, but are usually either fail catastrophic, fail safe or fail gracefully. Only catastrophic needs to be avoided at all cost.

What I would do to avoid the catastrophic failure: Check the temp of the AC/USB adapter after 15-30s and again after a few minutes(I'd also check the charge lamp on reader). If the charge lamp is on and the adapter is not getting above slightly warm, your charging setup should be stable.

If the adapter is getting hot, unplug it immediately -- you're over stressing it and it can burn out or burn up(Fire!).

Of course, if the lamp isn't coming on you aren't charging (fail safe ), but check also that the charge indicator does go up over time (IIRC, you'll have to unplug it to see).

From my experience (again, I haven't ripped open the case to look at the chips), the Sony readers fail gracefully by throttling back the current it demands as the voltage begins to drop. This matches mine and others experiences that the unit still charges, the adapter doesn't overheat, but the process takes longer.

Dan <><
CraftyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:00 AM   #8
raiderkilo
Connoisseur
raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: PRS-350 "PRS+"
Hi is possible use for PRS-300/600 iPod charger?
/with This cable http://www.meritline.com/5-in-1-usb-...--p-28335.aspx/
Have charger for iPod Mini First Gen
THX
raiderkilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:18 AM   #9
kenmark
Addict
kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderkilo View Post
Hi is possible use for PRS-300/600 iPod charger?
/with This cable http://www.meritline.com/5-in-1-usb-...--p-28335.aspx/
Have charger for iPod Mini First Gen
THX
Yes, it has been verified by member JSWolf here.
kenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:53 AM   #10
raiderkilo
Connoisseur
raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Perfect trough USB only is uncomfortable.
THX
Old 11-12-2009, 01:57 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderkilo View Post
Perfect trough USB only is uncomfortable.
THX
Charging from a USB mains adaptor (via a USB cable, that is) just flat out doesn't work.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #12
raiderkilo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Charging from a USB mains adaptor (via a USB cable, that is) just flat out doesn't work.
From Sony Guide:
Charge the Reader via USB (as shown above) at least 5 minutes
until “USB connected” appears on the Reader.
Keep your computer in an active mode while charging the Reader.
To fully charge the Reader, wait about 4 hours or less until the charge
indicator (lights up in red while charging) goes off.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Only works from a PC's USB port. You can't charge the Reader from a USB mains adaptor.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #14
raiderkilo
Connoisseur

That I know
my question is - is possible use This iPod Charger For Sony

With This cables
Old 11-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Only works from a PC's USB port. You can't charge the Reader from a USB mains adaptor.
Actually, you can. As long as you have the correct cable. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...312#post651312 for the correct cable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote