Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-11-2015, 12:05 PM   #391
iluvgadgets
Connoisseur
iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Why not simply use the DeDRM tools from http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com to liberate your purchases, so you can read them on the device you already own?

Of course, if you simply want an excuse to buy another toy, don't let me stop you.

I hadn't heard of this. I will try it out and see if my kindle will be able to read the book .
iluvgadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:14 PM   #392
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvgadgets View Post
I hadn't heard of this. I will try it out and see if my kindle will be able to read the book .
You will also need to convert the books to a Kindle friendly format (e.g. mobi or kf8) - easiest way is probably with calibre which apprentice alf got a plugin for literally drag and drop simple dedrm on import to library. Then connect Kindle to computer and calibre can automatically convert the ebook prior to sending to the device (if you did not convert the book yourself first).
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2015, 11:53 PM   #393
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Anyone considering either the H20 or the Voyage should also consider the new Kobo Glo HD. It has the Voyage screen and is a lot cheaper.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:47 AM   #394
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvgadgets View Post
I have been trying to decide between the voyage/pw or kobo h20 or the B&N glow light. What I want is an ereader with a light. I already have a couple regular kindles, and the simple touch as well as an iPad. My eyes hurt if i read a long time on the iPad. I tried the pw, and I love the size, so compact, its great, but I can't load my ebooks that are from adobe digital editions, the paperwhite does not support it. The B&N glow light works, I can side load my books and read them with no problem. I really wanted the pw to work out. I started hearing about the Kobo h2o and it would work too, I just would have to order it since they are no longer sold in stores here. I have accounts for all 3, my issue is which would be better. I could have all 3 and switch back and forth, but I have been trying to figure out which would make the most sense. LOL I am thinking I might need to try Kobo, its waterproof and will allow me to read my subscription of books when I side load them. I've been hearing good things about the devices. Decisions, decisions!!

Buying an ebook reader is like buying underwear, with one exception: You can't try on the underwear before you buy it.

Here you can get opinions but, as my drill sergeant once said, opinons are like a*******, everyone has one.

Take the opinions here as just that (including my own), and try to see who is biased toward the one ebook reader he or she likes, or the one he or she dislikes. Listen to how they frame their sentences: What is their particular bias?

And remember, buying an ebook reader is like getting married, with one exception: You can't return your wife.

Have fun making decisions and listen wisely to the words that come from the members' posts here - sometimes in anger; sometimes in joy. You'll soon be able to sort out which one is which.

Oh, and just in case someone woke up without a sense of humor this morning (we know who they are):

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-12-2015 at 06:52 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #395
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
And remember, buying an ebook reader is like getting married, with one exception: You can't return your wife.
Sure you can, it is called a divorce.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2015, 08:12 PM   #396
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Sure you can, it is called a divorce.
Are you sure? How do you get your money back? Not that I want to get a divorce.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:51 AM   #397
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Yeah, so I'm the one Dr Drib would call humourless. I never get tired of dudes comparing their wives to their electronics. Nevvverrrr.

Can we just talk about the ereaders, please?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:53 AM   #398
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It depends where you bought her.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:40 AM   #399
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
It may be "like getting married" to a man marrying a woman, but a woman knows better...buying an e-reader is much easier than getting married because you don't have to listen to your e-reader make stupid jokes

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:04 PM   #400
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
It may be "like getting married" to a man marrying a woman, but a woman knows better...buying an e-reader is much easier than getting married because you don't have to listen to your e-reader make stupid jokes

Shari
nice one
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:21 PM   #401
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post

Shari
I know... almost all of the e-readers have removed the text-to-speech options, which is great, you don't have to listen to them nag. :-)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, kobo, voyage