Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-17-2011, 06:31 AM   #1
paulfiera
Addict
paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Libra H20
Adding books and file operations

Sometimes, when adding books, I also perform file operations in the files window - like right-clicking on rar files for unpacking or just highlighting previously added books and pressing DELETE.

Whenever I do this, there is a small delay, about 5 seconds.

At first I thought it could be my AV but no, there are no delays at all doing the same file operations in Windows Explorer.

I think this behavior started 4 or 5 versions back.

Has any of you experienced this issue?

Many thanks.
paulfiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The files window is a system API call. (The window is part of the OS)
It simply returns the file/path. )
OS Updates (upon Updates...) is probably more the reason.

When was the last time you defragged your disk (and checked for errors)?
Do you keep the trash fairly empty?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
paulfiera
Addict
paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The files window is a system API call. (The window is part of the OS)
It simply returns the file/path. )
OS Updates (upon Updates...) is probably more the reason.

When was the last time you defragged your disk (and checked for errors)?
Do you keep the trash fairly empty?
Thanks theducks.

I may have found the culprit: Kaspersky. Even though I have excluded calibre.exe - actually the whole directory where the calibre binaries are installed.

I need to dig deeper into this.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfiera View Post
Thanks theducks.

I may have found the culprit: Kaspersky. Even though I have excluded calibre.exe - actually the whole directory where the calibre binaries are installed.

I need to dig deeper into this.
Since that is an API, excluding Calibre.exe has no effect on that. (the same code is used by all that show you that file list viewer)

Exclude the Library (they have been scanned already, anyway)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
paulfiera
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Exclude the Library (they have been scanned already, anyway)
The libraries - have two - are already excluded.

The thing is that this delay doesn't happen doing these file operations - unraring, deleting, renaming - with other applications - ConvertXtoDVD, Nero, UltraEdit, etc. Only with calibre and with right-click.
Advert