Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
Coop42
Coop42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, iPad, Kindle App, others!
Images in files/books and Firmware 1.8.2 on original Kobo

Just a quick question regarding images and firmware 1.8.X on the original Kindle.

I have purchased an image heavy book (Nikon D300s Digital Field Guide) to compare the rendering on the iPad Kobo App and the original Kobo. Within the app, the images are essentially the same as in the printed book.

On the Kobo running an old version of the firmware there were no images. I expected that. But running 1.8.2 there are still no images.

I'll admit to not looking inside the file, but I was expecting that the downloaded book file was the same, but the older FW on the Kobo could not display the images. I expected that updating the FW on the Kobo would have enabled the embedded images to be visible.

This is getting longer than I expected - but to that quick question - what's the best way of method of peeking inside the Kobo to see if it's a different version of the ebook (a no image version, specifically for the Kobo)?
Coop42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Sigil epub editor
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The file on the Kobo e-reader is a stripped file.

And you're going to have some trouble examining the file directly. It's buried inside the Kobo software. More specifically, it's in a SQLite database.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I bought Patti Smith's Just Kids and later discovered that the paper version had pictures that are not included in the digi file. They are apparently not in the Kindle version either. It made me wonder if it is a device limitation, or related to copyright.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Did you re-download the book from the Kobo bookstore after the upgrade to 1.8.2? (THis is presuming of course that it is in Kobo format, and not in Adobe ePub).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
Coop42

PeterT,

No I didn't. How does one re-download just one book and get it over to the Kobo?

I did an individual download on the desktop, and opened it in ADE, it looks fine there (and has all the images).

I then connected the Kobo to the desktop and updated the library.

No joy. Any suggestions from anyone?
Old 12-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
Coop42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

And you're going to have some trouble examining the file directly. It's buried inside the Kobo software. More specifically, it's in a SQLite database.
Hi Nate,

I hate SQL.. arrgh. Ah well.

You mentioned that the file for the Kobo is stripped, what does the stripping? Obviously the file as viewed on the iPad, in the desktop reader and in the external ADE application has the images. Is it the Kobo desktop/sync app that strips the images from the files when they are sync'ed to the physical Kobo reader?
Old 12-28-2010, 12:32 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
There are two distinct formats in use. I think (but am not certain) that the iPad and other platforms make use of the so-called kePub format. This you can get onto your Kobo IF you use the Kobo Desktop.

The ADE version is in what is called the ePub format.

For the heck of it, try launching the Kobo Desktop and doing an Update library there. That should bring the KePub format down to your PC and make it available in Kobo Desktop (but NOT in ADE). See if the diagrams are there.

If they are then try doing a SYNC from Kobo Desktop with the Kobo attached. This should in turn transfer the KePub version to the Kobo.

Last edited by PeterT; 12-28-2010 at 12:36 AM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:56 AM   #9
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I bought Patti Smith's Just Kids and later discovered that the paper version had pictures that are not included in the digi file.
Ah, someone remembers Patti Smith! Maybe she removed pictures,
when she had seen they had not remind of her in early 80s?
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:12 AM   #10
artig
Zealot
artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, kindle pw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

I thought 1.8.2 banished the SQLite database. At least for newly downloaded books. I haven't updated mine yet, and won't be doing it just yet.
artig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:13 AM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
@artig: the update for the original Kobo doesn't banish the sqlite Db, but kepub books are no longer stored there. The preloaded books will still be there unless one does the whole Db,images and kepub file replacement thing.

Kepub files are, btw, ePUB formatted books with Kobo's proprietary DRM attached. Patti Smith's book doesn't have pictures in ADE ePUB, DRM free ePUB, or kepub formats.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:48 AM   #12
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
@artig: the update for the original Kobo doesn't banish the sqlite Db, but kepub books are no longer stored there.
Very minor point of clarification - with kepub, the actual book content is no longer in the sqlite DB, but the meta-data like chapter pointers, read status, bookmarks, etc. still is.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote