Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 02-10-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
Polydwarf
Enthusiast
Polydwarf began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ V7, Cybook Opus
New SmartQ V7 -- apt-get usage

My new v7 is loaded up with the latest standard ubuntu firmware (5.3), and is pointing at the karmic repositories:

user@SmartQ:~$ more /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ports.ubuntu.com karmic main universe restricted multiverse
user@SmartQ:~$

I see a lot of references to different repositories to use, whether or not you should do an apt-get upgrade, whether or not you should even do an apt-get update, but the posts all seem to be pre-karmic release, or right as karmic was released.

Am I safe using the standard karmic repositories? Are there any other repositories I should add in, or even replace the karmic ones with?

BTW, I'm an experienced ubuntu user, so I'm not scared of it, the command line, or anything linux related, really... What I am afraid of is screwing up my new SmartQ
Polydwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
crlock
crlock began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ V7
Hi there, first of all, there is a new firmware update for android and ubuntu, check this http://www.smartqmid.com/phpBB3/view...php?f=17&t=985

now, could you explain to me how can i get access to the repositories? i tried the other day to do an "apt-get" but nothing happened, i'm new to ubuntu, but i find it more usefull than Wince and android.

Cheers.
crlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydwarf View Post
My new v7 is loaded up with the latest standard ubuntu firmware (5.3), and is pointing at the karmic repositories:

user@SmartQ:~$ more /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ports.ubuntu.com karmic main universe restricted multiverse
user@SmartQ:~$

I see a lot of references to different repositories to use, whether or not you should do an apt-get upgrade, whether or not you should even do an apt-get update, but the posts all seem to be pre-karmic release, or right as karmic was released.
A system upgrade is not recommended as several aps are custom built and probably won't work anyway. Performing apt-get update is fine, nay it's necessary in order to keep your system up to date especially if you tinker with your repos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydwarf View Post
Am I safe using the standard karmic repositories? Are there any other repositories I should add in, or even replace the karmic ones with?

BTW, I'm an experienced ubuntu user, so I'm not scared of it, the command line, or anything linux related, really... What I am afraid of is screwing up my new SmartQ
Apart from swapping between Jaunty & Karmic you could always add the Debian repo deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian stable main
(Replacing ftp.de.debian.org/debian with the mirror in question, e.g. us uk etc.)
Don't worry about screwing up your device they really are pretty tough little blighters
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crlock View Post
Hi there, first of all, there is a new firmware update for android and ubuntu, check this http://www.smartqmid.com/phpBB3/view...php?f=17&t=985

now, could you explain to me how can i get access to the repositories? i tried the other day to do an "apt-get" but nothing happened, i'm new to ubuntu, but i find it more usefull than Wince and android.

Cheers.
Run evilvte, then type sudo leafpad /etc/apt/sources.list - modify the text (address to repository) then save & exit leafpad. While still in evilvte type sudo apt-get update, this will update your system to reflect the changes you made to your sources.list. Now when you sudo apt-get install "name of app here" your system will know if it exists and how/where to get/install it.

p.s. You should google "linux apt-get" to find a mountain of useful information that will help you get the best out of your device.
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote