Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
Jassonsw
Jassonsw began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Sony PRS-505 hangs before reading epub

My UK Sony PRS-505 hangs for about 30secs to 1min when I try to open epub files generated with calibre. They were converted from .txt and .rtf files. Is this a known problem? Is there a fix?

Many thanks,

Jason

p.s. using Ubuntu Linux version
Jassonsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Every time? Or just the first time you open a new book? Because I think it is normal to take a bit longer the first time.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Every time? Or just the first time you open a new book? Because I think it is normal to take a bit longer the first time.
Yep - I think DixieGal's right. First time you open a book it does some kind of pagination thing I think that takes 30 seconds or so. If you then close and re-open that book it's almost immediate.

Is that what you're finding?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
Jassonsw

It hangs the first time for approx 30secs to 1min, then it's quick if I just go to that books menu and into the book again, but if I go back to the main menu of book titles and re-load the book the same thing happens, it hangs for 30sec to 1min. Not a major problem really, but if there was a way stop it happening every time I read the same book it would be good to know.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are any of these ePub legal to post here so someone else can try it out?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
Jassonsw

Unfortunately they're all post 1923. Some of the Hornblower novels, and two Patricia Highsmith.

Actually it's v.late here right now, but I could repeat the process tomorrow on something out of copyright and post it in the morning.

Last edited by Jassonsw; 05-12-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Sounds like chapter detection went wrong and the file got a too long fragment.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Could be any number of things causing the slowdown, would be good to have a sample showing the problem.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 05-12-2009 at 09:50 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:15 AM   #9
Jassonsw

Hmmm, I've tried it with some Gutenberg .txt files and they all seem to work ok. Can't seem to replicate the problem with them.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:22 AM   #10
Jassonsw

But the .rtf file I have of "Hornblower and the Hotspur" takes 3mins 55secs to convert to epub (a long time compared to other conversions) and has this hanging probelm on the PRS-505 when I try to open it.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:28 AM   #11
Jassonsw

Would it be helpful and legal to post a small extract of the file?

Last edited by Jassonsw; 05-13-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:42 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
in that case it's likely just markup complexity. try converting the rtf to MOBI and then the MOBI to epub
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #13
Jassonsw

Will do that, thanks for the tip.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #14
Jassonsw

Solved! Thanks for that Kovid, great piece of software, many thanks for writing it.