Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-31-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
DMee
Zealot
DMee began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, iphone, kindle
What triggers epub split?

Hi been converting my whole library to epub and mobi. I set it running (took it 4 days for 9500 books with heuristic processing!!) However it keeps falling over on certain books.

They are already epubs and reconverting to epub falls flat - it tells me that it can't find a decent place to split the file as the final line in the details. It also handily gave me a file size and when I set the "Split at xxxkb" to slightly bigger it converts fine.

It did however warn that too big a file may choke some ebook readers......

Time will tell.

So, whats it looking for to produce a "decent" split?

If it can't find one why not do an "indecent" split - i.e. just split it anyway?

How big is too big :-)

If the error message knew the file size would it be feasible to report this per book right at the end of the conversion process so we can try setting the split size manually?
DMee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMee View Post
Hi been converting my whole library to epub and mobi. I set it running (took it 4 days for 9500 books with heuristic processing!!) However it keeps falling over on certain books.

They are already epubs and reconverting to epub falls flat - it tells me that it can't find a decent place to split the file as the final line in the details. It also handily gave me a file size and when I set the "Split at xxxkb" to slightly bigger it converts fine.

It did however warn that too big a file may choke some ebook readers......

Time will tell.

So, whats it looking for to produce a "decent" split?

If it can't find one why not do an "indecent" split - i.e. just split it anyway?

How big is too big :-)

If the error message knew the file size would it be feasible to report this per book right at the end of the conversion process so we can try setting the split size manually?
You found the problem(s) with doing huge batches :
1) A problem book hogs all the time, then finally fails.
2) Error reports don't much help you fix it

I have had some success with a 2 pass approach on the can't split issue:
A TEMPORARY increase in the split size on the EPUB output tab of the conversion screen from 260K to about 400K.

(Optional: Edit in Sigil to make a pleasing look. Then: )
Once converted, set the value back to 260K and convert from EPUB > EPUB
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You found the problem(s) with doing huge batches :
1) A problem book hogs all the time, then finally fails.
2) Error reports don't much help you fix it

I have had some success with a 2 pass approach on the can't split issue:
A TEMPORARY increase in the split size on the EPUB output tab of the conversion screen from 260K to about 400K.

(Optional: Edit in Sigil to make a pleasing look. Then: )
Once converted, set the value back to 260K and convert from EPUB > EPUB
Why would you edit in Sigil and then ePub > ePub? Once it's in Sigil, you can do the editing and splitting there and not have to bother with converting. Editing in Sigil to get it ready for an ePub > ePub is a rather bad idea.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
DMee
Zealot

OK....

1) Most converted so not a problem with big batches
2) Fails if do single book
3) OK, confused - setting to 400 allows conversion, resetting to 260 converts fine too?? What happened to allow the splitting to happen???
Old 07-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
DMee
Zealot

How do I do the splitting in Sigil??
Advert
Old 07-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
That question belongs in the Sigil forum.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Pick your spot: (Important)Place the cursor at the end of the paragraph
click the Sigil split Icon, sigil will normally break the files, copying all the rest of the (x)html boilerplate (the stuff outside the <body> tags

IIRC Sigil has problems splitting INSIDE a <div>. you will need to make the edit in CV to break into 2 <div>'s and split between them (yes split works in CV )
Old 07-31-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
DMee
Zealot

CV??

Otherwise thanks
Old 07-31-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

In Sigil.
CV=Code View. BV = Book View