Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 01-16-2010, 02:10 PM   #16
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
I believe that the prices of e-readers is like the price of gas. The manufacturers will set the prices to what they can get. I hardly believe that the existing prices truly reflect the cost of the device and a reasonable profit for the maker. The Edge is a good example when you compare its release price to the existing price of the Kindle DX. The Edge LITERALLY has TWICE the hardware of the DX and easily tons more features but when you compare the prices, they only differ by 10 dollars. Amazon is making a killing on the DX. That is just plain obvious.

For its functionality from what I have gleened, the Edge is reasonably priced for its features. I agree with your price range for the 10 inch readers. I think we will see 5 and 6 inch dedicated readers in the $75 to $125 range .

Last edited by paulckennedy; 01-16-2010 at 02:14 PM.
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #17
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Paul, yes, I agree with your assessment as well.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #18
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Paul, by the way, have you seen this cheapo netbook? (http://www.bigboxstore.com/ebook-ly-..._store=default)

While not of the same quality as an Asus or Acer, it is an impressive machine for the price. Two of my friends have it and it is very good. This, again, reinforces the fact that dedicated e-reader hardware are overpriced.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:43 PM   #19
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulckennedy View Post
I believe that the prices of e-readers is like the price of gas. The manufacturers will set the prices to what they can get. I hardly believe that the existing prices truly reflect the cost of the device and a reasonable profit for the maker. The Edge is a good example when you compare its release price to the existing price of the Kindle DX. The Edge LITERALLY has TWICE the hardware of the DX and easily tons more features but when you compare the prices, they only differ by 10 dollars. Amazon is making a killing on the DX. That is just plain obvious.

For its functionality from what I have gleened, the Edge is reasonably priced for its features. I agree with your price range for the 10 inch readers. I think we will see 5 and 6 inch dedicated readers in the $75 to $125 range .
It is easy to talk about "reasonable" prices. But if nobody considers the profits reasonable enough to sell at the prices you envision, what does it matter? Of course Amazon is making great money on the DX now. They have to make money somewhere, since they lose a lot on the bestsellers. But the LCD screen for the Edge costs just a fraction of what the e-ink screen goes for, even more so given the current shortage of e-ink screens. So the Edge is not "twice the hardware". Amazon will drop the price of the DX in a few months when the other 9.7" readers start to come out, I am sure. The Edge is so different in shape, the target market is very different. Besides, don't forget that Amazon probably made very little on the DX last year, when they introduced it the screen certainly was way more expensive. They also took a big risk when they put it on the market, Sony still doesn't believe in big screen readers. So now Amazon are recouping that initial investment.

I am sure the $50 and $75 black and white readers (5" or 6") will start to appear once color screens are good enough for reading. But instead of 6 million units a year they will need 100 million or more to reach that price point.

Last edited by HansTWN; 01-16-2010 at 06:51 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:21 PM   #20
zetareticuli
Addict

In spite of its price tag, I applaud Amazon for having introduced the Kindle DX. No matter how good the software of a 6" reader is, it will always be a 6" reader. The larger screens are a requirement for any serious use by academia. What is killing the Kindle DX especially from the results of university trials is the poor software that runs on it. If Amazon were to take the time to improve the software and enhance PDF support, the Kindle DX would be a more than capable device. The hardware support and physical dimensions are there. Hopefully, Amazon has acknowledged this and software updates coming soon will resolve most of these issues.
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 07:58 PM   #21
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
In spite of its price tag, I applaud Amazon for having introduced the Kindle DX. No matter how good the software of a 6" reader is, it will always be a 6" reader. The larger screens are a requirement for any serious use by academia. What is killing the Kindle DX especially from the results of university trials is the poor software that runs on it. If Amazon were to take the time to improve the software and enhance PDF support, the Kindle DX would be a more than capable device. The hardware support and physical dimensions are there. Hopefully, Amazon has acknowledged this and software updates coming soon will resolve most of these issues.
If they do so, I might still buy it. Because even so the Que looks real good, it is much safer to buy from a company like Amazon, not a startup. Perhaps Amazon even has a new large screen this year?
Old 01-16-2010, 08:04 PM   #22
zetareticuli
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
If they do so, I might still buy it. Because even so the Que looks real good, it is much safer to buy from a company like Amazon, not a startup. Perhaps Amazon even has a new large screen this year?
Same here. I think there is a 70% chance that Amazon releases a new e-reader this year. Or at least software updates that will dramatically enhance the experience of reading on the Kindle devices.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #23
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

I have owned ALL 3 of the Kindles. I recently sold my Kindle 2 and DX to get the Edge next month. I am still a fan of Amazon and the Kindle store. I will continue to shop the Kindle store once they come out with a Kindle for Android app.

"Twice the hardware" refers not just to the LCD but also to the wacom and touch features offered by the Edge. When you also add back in the SD, USB slots and BlueTooth support, the Edge definately sports "twice" the hardware of the DX.

I hope that Amazon looks at the features that Entourage has enabled and then updates the Kindle line. One feature of the Edge that Amazon should try to steal is the Tag Library organizational scheme.

Amazon blazed a trail with the Kindle. Now they need to innovate or simply get out of the way.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #24
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
I have owned ALL 3 of the Kindles. I recently sold my Kindle 2 and DX to get the Edge next month. I am still a fan of Amazon and the Kindle store. I will continue to shop the Kindle store once they come out with a Kindle for Android app.

"Twice the hardware" refers not just to the LCD but also to the wacom and touch features offered by the Edge. When you also add back in the SD, USB slots and BlueTooth support, the Edge definately sports "twice" the hardware of the DX.

I hope that Amazon looks at the features that Entourage has enabled and then updates the Kindle line. One feature of the Edge that Amazon should try to steal is the Tag Library organizational scheme.

Amazon blazed a trail with the Kindle. Now they need to innovate or simply get out of the way.
You can bet that they already have new devices in the pipeline. But now is not the time to announce them. The Sony's 7.1 screen is no challenge, Irex selfdestructed again with the 800, and the other 9.7" screens are coming in September or so only. And as far as the Que is concerned they will just sit and wait for the response. So for the moment it makes sense to just have the money coming in and spring the announcement just before a serious challenger actually brings their devices to market.

Amazon is not doing that "9 month early announcement" nonsense. When they announce a new device it is all set for delivery within a month or so. Announcing something too early just means they would have to drop prices for their old models.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #25
zetareticuli
Addict

What's unbelievable is that most of the neat things we want from an ebook reader such as the Kindle DX can be improved with software and Amazon has done nothing about that. As far as the hardware items such as SD card support, Bluetooth, and USB, there is nothing for the current Kindles there. However, I think Amazon is likely to introduce at least some of these in the next line. Even without a next generation of Kindles coming out any time soon, a software updates that adds killer PDF support, folder/file management, custom zooming options, simple apps, games, etc, would make the existing Kindle a great device to own.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #26
paulckennedy
Addict

A software update that adds support for epub, a real folder system and better pdf support would be great. If Amazon was smart, they would jump on Android.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #27
zetareticuli
Addict

Quote:
A software update that adds support for epub, a real folder system and better pdf support would be great. If Amazon was smart, they would jump on Android.
Yep. If predictions are accurate there should be thousands of applications by the end of the year. A few companies that specialize in the software market have mentioned figures like "30,000 apps for Android by the end of 2010". I don't think you can easily explain the "30,000 apps" in such as short time period. In my view, 5,000 - 10,000 is very reasonable.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:14 AM   #28
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
http://gizmodo.com/5445603/the-ultim...-we-care-about

In the attached link, Gizmodo gave the Entourage Edge a 0% chance of survival and essentially deemed it dead on arrival. What are they thinking about?

I know that it is heavy but when I look at it, I see something with twice the usability of the Que which is definately years beyond the Kindle.

Am I missing something here? I am on the pre-order list for the Edge so I really want to know what everyone else thinks about this review.
I'd take that DoA of theirs with a lot of salt.

Take the Nook:

According to them a survivability of 80%.

4 + points, one of which is "Lending and in-store Barnes & Noble action will be huge" and we still have to find out how that will work and the other "Native ePub support"

3 +/- points

2 - points.

Then the Entourage Edge, survivability of 0%.

3 + points

4 +/- points

2 - points, including price, but as it can do more, you'd expect a higher price tag, right?

No mention of epub reading. If that's a point in favour of the Nook, shouldn't it also be a point in favour of the Edge?

So, one +/- point less and a drop of 80%??

Right...

I still like the Edge, haven't seen anything in that "review" that would make me like it less. I'm just not crazy about Android...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:25 AM   #29
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I still like the Edge, haven't seen anything in that "review" that would make me like it less. I'm just not crazy about Android...
Yup, just like Apple, Google are the masters at hyping good, but not outstanding products to make people think that they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Android is not bad, but has some serious flaws, too. Memory handling is one of them. For example you can run just 6 programs at the same time. Android is still a work in progress. And you almost forced to use all Google services, gmail, search, etc. If you don't, then Android is not convenient to use at all. Though I must say, that Google standing up to Chinese web censors has definitely helped improve the very low opinion I had of them (which is mainly due to the fact that they have very little respect for people's privacy).
Old 01-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #30
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
...It might be a failure as an ebook reader but that's okay because it's not an ebook reader. It's a netbook. Their lack of knowledge blinds them to the possibilities inherent in the design. ...
It's a netbook, then, without a hard disk or a physical keyboard. That's sure attractive.

My Samsung netbook is smaller than the Entourage Edge and allows me to do my work easily with it.

I also carry a DX. It's light and flat and is a hell of an e-reader. Wikipedia is not that slow in its mobile version but I can read my DX anyway WHILE having the Netbook open to the Net for more info as long as I have WiFi. The advantage of the DX is Wikipedia is there on top of my book and accessible through slow Kindle-G3 access.

What I couldn't abide with the Edge is that I can't detach the ereader portion. (I think the Asus dualbook will allow detachment but it's not even near ready and won't do what the Edge does.)

You're right - it's dead as an E-reader. I think they'd sell well if they DID make a separate e-reader because its background looks lighter and they have the e-reader study tools all ready to go.

No, if I bought one of these, I'd also have to carry my netbook to be working as quickly as I can w/o worrying about space or using SD cards to save things to and take things from. I'd have all the apps I like always there and ready to go. I'd have a bulky bag then.

It's nifty being able to move a graph over and see it in color. But a DX stand-alone reader can be used along with a smaller netbook to see PDFs or books from Amazon and B&N on the netbook in color with no need to move the graph over.

I don't see how it can have a life, with an Apple iSlate-type thing coming out. But it IS only $390 or so? And that's where they have a chance. And the Apple will have only an LCD screen in this incarnation from all I read.

But who's the audience for the Edge? Right now the features sound more fun-like than actually useful in a real work environment.

It can use a USB keyboard from what I remember - but that's extra bulk and I guess it could use an external hard drive too. More of the same.

I don't think Gizmodo is far wrong here, though I find the device attractive to look at and probably fun to use if not on a deadline.

I truly do not get the advantage of the Edge, except that it'd be fun to scribble on one side to go along with a file, but then the scribbles can't be read by any handwriting recognition program. I'd have to type up what I had hand-written when ready to do other work instead of just importing the text of what I'd typed.

IF it were lighter, that would be a killer. Right now I just don't see it.

Last edited by andrys; 01-20-2010 at 03:43 PM.
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote