Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
Mike C
Mike C began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700BC
Unhappy eBook Library (Not responding) - Pls help!

Hi! I'm new to this site. I just purchased a PRS-700BC a week ago and decided last night to download a book. I'm running Windows XP SP2 on my PC. The book was successfully downloaded to my library, however, when I tried to transfer the downloaded book from my library to my memory card or to the reader itself, the Sony Reader software just hangs with a message "eBook Library (Not responding)". It stays this way for a long time and holds up a lot of memory. Eventually, the entire PC freezes up and I had no choice but to disconnect the Sony Reader and do a hard reboot.
I already tried deleting the book from my library and re-downloading it again but when I attempted to transfer it, then the reader hangs again. Got to do the hard reboot once more...
I opened up a help ticket with Sony Customer Support today but I haven't heard from them yet....

Would appreciate very much if you guys have any ideas on solving this problem...

Thanks!
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
That is strange. Can you try again with the SD card removed?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
Mike C

Yes, I did but got the same results....eBook Library (Not responding)....

Here's the weird thing, though...when I downloaded a few of the 100 classic titles I have credits for, I was able to successfully transfer them to the memory card and even to the reader itself....

It is on when I do it for this particular book where it all hangs...the size is only 2.6MB...
The memory card is 4GB with 3.7GB available space...
Old 02-19-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Yes, I did but got the same results....eBook Library (Not responding)....

Here's the weird thing, though...when I downloaded a few of the 100 classic titles I have credits for, I was able to successfully transfer them to the memory card and even to the reader itself....

It is on when I do it for this particular book where it all hangs...the size is only 2.6MB...
The memory card is 4GB with 3.7GB available space...
It's very possible it is a corrupt file. What book is it?
Old 02-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
Mike C

The book is "The Diabetes Answer Book" by David McCulloch.

I initially thought that the file may be corrupted but....

(1) I was able to briefly read the first few pages of the book when I double-clicked on it from my library and "scanned" them and the eBook looks OK...

(2) I then deleted it from my library and downloaded it again to my PC so wouldn't that replace the old file with a new one if it was indeed corrupted?

Just some thoughts here....
Advert
Old 02-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
The book is "The Diabetes Answer Book" by David McCulloch.

I initially thought that the file may be corrupted but....

(1) I was able to briefly read the first few pages of the book when I double-clicked on it from my library and "scanned" them and the eBook looks OK...

(2) I then deleted it from my library and downloaded it again to my PC so wouldn't that replace the old file with a new one if it was indeed corrupted?

Just some thoughts here....
If the original file Sony provided is corrupted, then both could be explained by that. I'd shoot them an email (or call) and say you are having an issue with a file and they should check it out (and ask them to replace it or get a refund).
Old 02-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
ksri99
ksri99 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700BC
What is the size of your SD card? I bought one of those 8gb ones for my reader. I was having similar issues and only way to get back the reader's home screen is to press the reset button at the back and then use the on/off slider to restart. This happened too many times and then on calling sony support, the rep told me that only 2gb is supported. I'm still using 8gb and it hangs now and then.
ksri99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:09 AM   #8
AndrewMT
AndrewMT began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
I just encountered the same problem with the Sony reader trying to sync up a purchased book to my 4GB SD card on my PRS-700. I had no trouble syncing up any of the classics I redeemed, but my first purchased book caused the hang. I figured the card had been corrupted somehow. I closed the reader, reformated the card, opened the reader, and the sync went flawlessly. Try it and let me know if it works.
AndrewMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #9
Read & Fly
Read & Fly
Read & Fly began at the beginning.

I had this problem on a book a few months ago and they fixed the book. After that I had no problem. Got the problem again the other day with "D-Day" by Antony Beevor. What is the best way to report a problem book to Sony?
Read & Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #10
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksri99 View Post
What is the size of your SD card? I bought one of those 8gb ones for my reader. I was having similar issues and only way to get back the reader's home screen is to press the reset button at the back and then use the on/off slider to restart. This happened too many times and then on calling sony support, the rep told me that only 2gb is supported. I'm still using 8gb and it hangs now and then.
I have an 8gig card on my 700 and, knock wood, I haven't had any trouble with either the card or the reader.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:13 AM   #11
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
I did a fresh install of Wondows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit. I installed all my programs with no problems, the only one that is not working right is Sony Ebook Library

I opened the program this morning, everything opened no problem.

I plugged in my Reader, the program recognized it no problem. It was showing up in the Reader Software just fine.

I clicked the Synch button which froze up my PC after it duplicated every book I have in my Library, then proceeded to keep the (Not Responding) message.

I got it to close in my Task Manager, rebooted, tried to open the software....it showed in my processes as running, but it will not open.

I uninstalled and reinstalled, went to start the program, will not open. I look in processes, it's running, but just won't open

Needless to say I am frustrated and disappointed. Anybody run into this and fix it?
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:02 PM   #12
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
You say you're new to this reader biz... so I'm going to ask you a rather silly question. Is both the computer the software is on AND the reader authorized on the ebook site? My sister bought a new reader and synced up books that she had from the old reader but couldn't read any because she didn't authorize her new reader online.

Also are you running the latest ebook library software? It's at 3.01 which fixed a lot of problems my sister had with version 3.0.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #13
Read & Fly
Read & Fly
Read & Fly began at the beginning.

I'm trying to get this book directly on my reader not on a card. Other books transfer with no problem. This book freezes the eBook Library each time.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software and even done a hard reset of the reader.
Read & Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:22 AM   #14
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read & Fly View Post
I'm trying to get this book directly on my reader not on a card. Other books transfer with no problem. This book freezes the eBook Library each time.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software and even done a hard reset of the reader.

The book might be corrupted. I'm having the same problem with a bundle I purchased from Sony last year. I changed computers and have been in the process of re-downloading my favorite books purchased from Sony. Every time I try to download that particular file, my library crashed. I too have removed and re-install the software until I realized I could download every other book in Sony library (which I did, 77 books just to see), it's just that one file. I sent Sony an e-mail that let them know the file is corrupted and I got an answer that says that I need to call customer service because they are unable to help me. I've yet to follow through. It's been 2 months.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:52 AM   #15
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I sent Sony an e-mail that let them know the file is corrupted and I got an answer that says that I need to call customer service because they are unable to help me. I've yet to follow through. It's been 2 months.
You know that's their answer to EVERYTHING. But you should call, I've had good experiences with the customer service on the phone.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote