Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 06-22-2020, 12:43 AM   #1
nightmoves42
nightmoves42 began at the beginning.

Device: iOS/Browser
Can't connect to my server on other devices still

I have been trying to get my first Calibre server up and running for days now. Running on Win10. I cannot connect on any devices to the IP.

I have changed the port from 8080 default, as I also run Plex. I have the private Windows Firewall rules turned on, along with a custom one I set with the port I am using 31415.

I have gotten help from two of my friends with networking backgrounds and neither have been able to get me to connect to it at home. I have pinged the IP address from another PC to ensure that it is reachable and it is.

I am at a total loss here.
nightmoves42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 04:21 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Make sure that the network type on the Win10 machine is "private".
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2020, 02:02 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Besides PRIVATE as Chaley mentiond
The Globe-Net (share) icon in Calibre will change the node dots Green when a share is running.
Clicking the icon once will show the CURRENT status (IP and Port) for both the Content Server and Wireless device
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:48 AM   #4
nightmoves42

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Besides PRIVATE as Chaley mentiond
The Globe-Net (share) icon in Calibre will change the node dots Green when a share is running.
Clicking the icon once will show the CURRENT status (IP and Port) for both the Content Server and Wireless device
Yes I have done all of this. I am going to the right IP and port. Yes it’s running. And yes it’s set it private. I’m only trying to access it at home. No matter what I can’t access it on any of my devices.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:22 PM   #5
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmoves42 View Post
Yes I have done all of this. I am going to the right IP and port. Yes it’s running. And yes it’s set it private. I’m only trying to access it at home. No matter what I can’t access it on any of my devices.

You need to cheek and see if you have AP Isolation enabled on your router.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=Check...+Router&ia=web

What happens when you use localport?

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2020, 02:04 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After nearly 8 years of supporting Calibre Companion I can say that 95% of problems on Windows are either the network public/private setting or the antivirus. That said, you might find some joy by doing the checks suggested here, in particular those starting in section 2. And yes, I know you aren't talking about CC, but the troubleshooting steps for CC apply to your problem.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:20 PM   #7
nightmoves42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
After nearly 8 years of supporting Calibre Companion I can say that 95% of problems on Windows are either the network public/private setting or the antivirus. That said, you might find some joy by doing the checks suggested here, in particular those starting in section 2. And yes, I know you aren't talking about CC, but the troubleshooting steps for CC apply to your problem.
I am running Malwarebytes Free and Windows Defender only.

I run Plex server on this same machine with a different port, so I do not think that Isolation would have anything to do with it. I have a Ubiquiti Unifi USG with two AP Lites.

As I stated a created a new rule on windows firewall to make a inbound rule local rule for the calibre port. I can access it on the local machine but no others on my network. I have the other Calibre firewall rules turned on to allow local traffic in Win Firewall as well.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:30 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmoves42 View Post
I am running Malwarebytes Free and Windows Defender only.

I run Plex server on this same machine with a different port, so I do not think that Isolation would have anything to do with it. I have a Ubiquiti Unifi USG with two AP Lites.

As I stated a created a new rule on windows firewall to make a inbound rule local rule for the calibre port. I can access it on the local machine but no others on my network. I have the other Calibre firewall rules turned on to allow local traffic in Win Firewall as well.
Malwarebytes was one of the worst offenders. But hey, given that you have set up everything correctly already then it must be that the network gods don't like you. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:01 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
malwarebytes free does not actually "run" , normally- its just waits to be run manually as an on demand process.
malwarebytes paid gets worse by the day. they spent months in denial then have failed to fix bad audio caused by web protection module adding latency spikes, and now there are many reports of it failing with win 2004. i decided to move on, even though I had 2 lifetime keys.. i almost was panicked into buying a new PC as pristine audio is very important to me and I'd spent a couple of weeks blaming and swapping around other things.

back to the problem - OP has tried lots of devices. time to try all the different ways there are to ping/ connect to a calibre server and see if that narrows it down any.

and also, change the assigned port.
there is no need to change the default port just because plex server is running, the plex default is 32400. mine runs on that and calibre runs on i 8080
if you are out of other options, try going back to the default ports.

Last edited by stumped; 06-24-2020 at 12:04 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:15 AM   #10
nightmoves42

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
malwarebytes free does not actually "run" , normally- its just waits to be run manually as an on demand process.
malwarebytes paid gets worse by the day. they spent months in denial then have failed to fix bad audio caused by web protection module adding latency spikes, and now there are many reports of it failing with win 2004. i decided to move on, even though I had 2 lifetime keys.. i almost was panicked into buying a new PC as pristine audio is very important to me and I'd spent a couple of weeks blaming and swapping around other things.

back to the problem - OP has tried lots of devices. time to try all the different ways there are to ping/ connect to a calibre server and see if that narrows it down any.

and also, change the assigned port.
there is no need to change the default port just because plex server is running, the plex default is 32400. mine runs on that and calibre runs on i 8080
if you are out of other options, try going back to the default ports.

I have changed the port on both with multiple times with no luck of calibre connecting. Yet Plex works fine still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-24-2020, 12:25 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
so to summarise:
plex works ( thus network is not blocked)
ping works ( is that on LAN or also from outside? )

maybe look in detail at how you are setting up" my first server"
are u doing anything more complex than enabling the built in calibre server, via GUI preferences ?

if you make the calibre library folders shared, can you access those OK over LAN via windows ?

Is everything on same LAN subnet i.e. all on 192.168.0... or all on 192.168.1.
double check internal library PC IP with run ipcheck
consider wiping calibre ( except for books) . reinstall then with everything on default, enable the built in server, point calibre at your books library and see what happens?

as another test, copy some books into plex ??? I know that's silly but it would be nice to confirm that the library is not totally cursed
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ios, not connecting, server, windows