Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-18-2015, 06:32 AM   #46
chanfm
Enthusiast
chanfm began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Arc, Kindle PW3
I am happy that Amazon has come up with a "PW3". I wanted to buy the Voyage but couldn't bring myself to pay USD199. I like PW3 better because I prefer a raised bezel; I once had the Kobo Aura with its no bezel look - I kept mistakenly turning the page. Also, page turning buttons does nothing for me; touching the screen to turn the page is perfectly fine.

I will wait until Black Friday sales. Amazon needs time anyway to sort out the usual bugs in a new product.
chanfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:54 AM   #47
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Same storage (4GB), same processor (1GHz), RAM is bumped from 256MB to 512MB.
Where did you see there is more RAM? I can't find the specs anywhere?
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2015, 06:57 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Where did you see there is more RAM? I can't find the specs anywhere?
http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/amaz...perwhite-2015/

Quote:
According to Amazon, battery life hasn't changed in the new model -- it offers "weeks" of operation on a single charge. You get the same 1GHz processor, 4GB of built-in memory, and a bump up to 512MB of RAM from 256MB. There's no expansion slot for additional memory, but that 4GB allows you to store thousands of e-books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:01 AM   #49
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Voyage has a "Gorilla Glass" outer screen, which is extremely tough. It makes the device far more rigid and less prone to fracturing the screen substrate than the much more "flexible" PW. I've seen no reports at all of fractured substrates on the Voyage. Has anyone else?
I have seen too many iPhones with broken glass to have much confidence in glass screens, no matter how much they're toughened.

But I'm clearly in a minority.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:02 AM   #50
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I wonder if the extra RAM is required for the better layout algorithm, or whether a firmware update will be coming out for the PW1 and PW2?
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2015, 07:02 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I have seen too many iPhones with broken glass to have much confidence in glass screens, no matter how much they're toughened.

But I'm clearly in a minority.
We have the choice. That's the good thing .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:06 AM   #52
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Am I the only one to notice that the battery on the 2015 model lasts 6 weeks instead of the usual 8 weeks for the 2012/2014 models?
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:12 AM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpider View Post
Am I the only one to notice that the battery on the 2015 model lasts 6 weeks instead of the usual 8 weeks for the 2012/2014 models?
You'd expect that - the Voyage has a shorter battery life than the PW2. The higher-resolution screen has more pixels, hence more power to refresh.

It makes no practical difference in the real world, in my experience. I don't charge my Voyage any more often than I charged my PW2. I never let either device get down to the "low battery" warning.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:29 AM   #54
ryuji35
Zealot
ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PPW5 Signature, Kobo Libra 2, Samsung Tab S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A lot of Voyage owners are going to feel ripped off.
Argh, I do. I felt bad when Kobo Glo HD was released. but I feel worse right now with this release. That $80 difference could have been a Kindle Fire already :'(

There is no way anyone could significantly justify paying more for the Voyage now with the New Paperwhite already in the market.
ryuji35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:37 AM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuji35 View Post
There is no way anyone could significantly justify paying more for the Voyage now with the New Paperwhite already in the market.
Nonsense. The fact that you don't personally feel that it's worth more doesn't mean that other people share your view. The flush, toughened-glass screen, rigid metal body, haptic page-turn sensors, light sensor, and smaller form-factor make it worthwhile to some people, including me. I'd buy another Voyage if anything were to happen to my current one.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:47 AM   #56
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I don't feel ripped off, other than the fact that the Voyage is awfully expensive. Its being smaller and lighter than the PW is, to me, a significant advantage. (I wish it was as small as the Kobo Aura). I also enjoy the page turn sensors more than I thought I would. I'm not sorry I got it, and I have no intention of trading down to the PW3. Even though it has a better screen than the older PWs, it's still a lot bigger than the Voyage. It's great for those trading up for a PW1 or PW2, though, as I am sure they can use their same cases!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:50 AM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
It's great for those trading up for a PW1 or PW2, though, as I am sure they can use their same cases!
Yes, the fact that Amazon have retained the same form-factor through all three generations of the PW range is a significant benefit to everyone who's previously bought one, and indeed, for new buyers too, in that there's a huge range of cases already on the market to choose from.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:09 AM   #58
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
All-new Paperwhite.
Ah! What an inventive name for a device. It looks like I have a Déjà vu ...
Let me have a look ...
... here is a press release from September 2013 from Amazon
Quote:
SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sep. 3, 2013-- (NASDAQ: AMZN)—Today, Amazon announced that the world’s best-selling e-reader—Kindle Paperwhite—is getting even better. The all-new Kindle Paperwhite features new display technology with higher contrast, the next generation built-in light, a faster processor, the latest touch technology, and exclusive new features designed from the ground up for readers. Kindle Paperwhite is available for pre-order starting today at http://www.amazon.com/kindle-paperwhite and http://www.amazon.com/kindle-paperwhite-3g.
Ever since the All-New-Paperwhite came out in September 2013 and since I spent 30 minutes at Best Buy trying to find out whether I am getting an old version or the All-New-version of the Paperwhite reader I was wondering what the hell are they going to do when they introduce the next generation. For a time, when the Voyage came out, I was disappointed. No more. Today, there is An-Even-Newer-All-New-Paperwite with a new name - the all-new Kindle Paperwhite!
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....cle&ID=2060159
Quote:
SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jun. 17, 2015-- (NASDAQ: AMZN)—Amazon today introduced the all-new Kindle Paperwhite, updating its most popular and best-selling Kindle with the highest resolution Paperwhite display, the exclusive Kindle font Bookerly, and a new typesetting engine for more beautiful pages. Meet the new Kindle Paperwhite at www.amazon.com/paperwhite.
And they are introducing ... gasp ... properly hyphenated text(*)! Other brands have had that for a very long time.

(*) you have to wait until all the books in store get updated [Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!?]
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:13 AM   #59
ryuji35
Zealot
ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PPW5 Signature, Kobo Libra 2, Samsung Tab S6 Lite
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1343...the-difference

This article claims that the Voyage has a higher contrast than the PW3. Is this something that can be noticed by the naked eye?
ryuji35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:13 AM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I spent 30 minutes at Best Buy trying to find out whether I am getting an old version or the All-New-version of the Paperwhite reader
You need only have spent about 10 seconds . If the logo on the back says "Kindle", it's a PW1; if it says "Amazon" it's a PW2.

The name really shouldn't come as a surprise. Amazon have never used model numbers for the Kindle; it's always been "all new X" or "latest model Y".