Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-17-2015, 02:18 PM   #16
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Here's a link to Amazon's official press release: "Amazon Introduces New Kindle Paperwhite: The Most Popular Kindle, Now Even Better—Still Only $119".
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:34 PM   #17
stutzj
Zealot
stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, PW2, Kindle 5(black)
Interesting. I am tempted to preorder but really don't need this device having bought the Glo HD a month back. Moving on from the PW2, the 300 PPI has made a big difference. I'll of course want to see what the screen looks like on the PW3 but I'm guessing I still will prefer the Glo HD screen. Having font/weight options is a big deal for me. The contrast, lighting is really nice on the Glo HD. I do appreciate the lighter weight as well.

But man...I do love the kindle ecosystem. It does beat having to download and upload books to calibre and then upload on to my Glo HD device. Good move on amazon's part. I did like my PW2 and 300 PPI combined with it will make a very nice device priced at $119
stutzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #18
wlsinwi
Enthusiast
wlsinwi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle Touch and Paperwhite1 and 2
Finally a new Paperwhite but WTf it only has more PPI? They should have made it lighter (I know that technically it is 1 gram lighter) They won't say if it has more book storage or a faster processor. I'm underwhelmed.
wlsinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlsinwi View Post
Finally a new Paperwhite but WTf it only has more PPI? They should have made it lighter (I know that technically it is 1 gram lighter) They won't say if it has more book storage or a faster processor. I'm underwhelmed.
Same storage (4GB), same processor (1GHz), RAM is bumped from 256MB to 512MB.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:07 PM   #20
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I guess it must just me, but for God sack it is only an ebook reader. What more do we need then a good e-ink screen and enough storage for enough books to last for say a 2 week up to maybe a months vacation away from wifi. As long as the screen is good enough so I can read with out stressing my eyes I could care less about anything else.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2015, 04:15 PM   #21
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I guess it must just me, but for God sack it is only an ebook reader. What more do we need then a good e-ink screen and enough storage for enough books to last for say a 2 week up to maybe a months vacation away from wifi. As long as the screen is good enough so I can read with out stressing my eyes I could care less about anything else.
They could all stand to improve on the software side of things.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:15 PM   #22
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I far prefer the Voyage's flush screen. Much easier to keep clean.
I agree but I question the Voyage's $80 differnce in price. I don't use the haptic buttons. I like the touch screen. For the $80 I can buy a lovely case and five books I wouldn't normally buy.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:26 PM   #23
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I placed an order for the 3G model. Rolled the dice and purchased a Voyage a few weeks ago from Best Buy (descent screen). Returned two last year when released, due to perceived screen issues discussed here. I wanted the 3G Voyage, but couldn't justify the price. Will be interesting to compare screens, particularly brightness levels.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:43 PM   #24
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I placed an order for the 3G model. Rolled the dice and purchased a Voyage a few weeks ago from Best Buy (descent screen). Returned two last year when released, due to perceived screen issues discussed here. I wanted the 3G Voyage, but couldn't justify the price. Will be interesting to compare screens, particularly brightness levels.
That's a comparison I'd be interested in as I went from a 3G PW2 to a WiFi Voyage as I also couldn't justify the price for a 3G Voyage
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:46 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I agree but I question the Voyage's $80 differnce in price. I don't use the haptic buttons. I like the touch screen. For the $80 I can buy a lovely case and five books I wouldn't normally buy.
And that is of course your choice to make, but it's good that Amazon gives us that choice to make.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:47 PM   #26
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
They could all stand to improve on the software side of things.
In what way all I do is read books, and a few newstand items. I refuse to keep more than say 30 to 50 items on my kindle, why? There is no need I have my kindle library at amazon and I also have my library on calibre. I am not a fast reader so I could go more than a month with out needing more to read. And I do not make notes, only check a few words means every now and then.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:34 PM   #27
wlsinwi
Enthusiast
wlsinwi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle Touch and Paperwhite1 and 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Same storage (4GB), same processor (1GHz), RAM is bumped from 256MB to 512MB.
Well that's something as my early 2ndgen has less storage than that and the RAM increase should help it also. OK I'll put mine up for sale and pre order this.
wlsinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:40 PM   #28
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
^^^ more RAM is always good. Ask any programmer :-)
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:44 PM   #29
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Unfortunately, we won't be able to jailbreak it (except over the serial port) -- so how does it help?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:45 PM   #30
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlsinwi View Post
They want to keep voyage owners feeling special :-)
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote