Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
Eagle1337
Eagle1337 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Need help on what ereader to get.

I'm looking into the Kobo Touch ereader and the Sony Reader Wi-Fi PRS-T1.. I just need it for reading epubs and some random jpegs. I need folder organization as well. I've done reading on the kobo and can't figure out if it does or doesn't.
Both seem like they are good devices, but I just need something that'll read which they all do :P
Eagle1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
If folders are a must Sony is probably best, they have the collections function. But other than that I don't know too much about them.

The Kobo Touch WILL have collections/shelves in the future, we know this because there is a plug-in that activates the shelves. They are waiting to activate it until they can have it on every platform (e.g Android, IOS, Windows, Mac) But don't hold your breath.

Other than that the Kobo is great, fast page turns (And you can tap the pages to make them turn, on the Sony you have to swipe or use the buttons). And has the best page customizations of any eReader I know of.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
Eagle1337

Well it's mainly jpegs that's the issue, I'd rather have series name, chapter Name, then the images. If the kobo can do that i'm in good shape as I don't need too much in the way of fanciness for the ereading part.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
The iRiver Story HD supports CBZ files natively. And yes, it does have folder view. The 768x1024 resolution also make it better suited for reading comics and manga.

That's about all I can say for it, though. Firmware is very basic and it wouldn't exactly be my first if I wanted an EPUB reader.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
Eagle1337

All my manga and comics are in jpegs soo.. iRiver isn't too easy to find here in Canadaland afaik. Also the kobo right now is 119$ and the sony is 159$.
Advert
Old 03-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

CBZ is basically a bunch of images in ZIP archive with the extension changed to CBZ. If it's hard to find, though, then yeah, would probably be better. The Sony PRS-T1 runs on Android. If it's possible to use apps such as Perfect Viewer on it (might need to root), that would probably work best.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
Eagle1337

would pretty much after of those kind of readers work on the sony? MY plan was to just copy what i got on my phone and put it on the ereader and read it that way.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Eek $149. I am amazed at the price going back up that much. It has but you should perhaps check out Walmart etc. just in case. (I paid $375 CAD for my first one and never regretted it however)

Or a used 650 on Craigslist.

I have tried several ereaders and Sony are so far the best. (I have only tried Kobo in the store so it may be better than I think it is)

If your books are epub they should work on either.

And of course you can download library books for either and Newspapers etc.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
Eagle1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Eek $149. I am amazed at the price going back up that much. It has but you should perhaps check out Walmart etc. just in case. (I paid $375 CAD for my first one and never regretted it however)

Or a used 650 on Craigslist.

I have tried several ereaders and Sony are so far the best. (I have only tried Kobo in the store so it may be better than I think it is)

If your books are epub they should work on either.

And of course you can download library books for either and Newspapers etc.

Helen
Yeah they are stupidly priced here imo.. which is why the kobo interests me so much. The book side of things are fine by me, it's how it categories the jpeg folders is what scares me (with the kobo)
Old 03-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1337 View Post
Yeah they are stupidly priced here imo.. which is why the kobo interests me so much. The book side of things are fine by me, it's how it categories the jpeg folders is what scares me (with the kobo)
I really don't know on that one. But they are probably similiar in that regards.
If I knew what you needed I could check it out on the Sony.

Future Shop as you probably know carries both brands. And they have a 14 day return policy from the date you buy or the date it is delivered.

I am reasonably sure you would be happy with either except for the jpg thing as they are all Black and White?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #11
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
CBZ is basically a bunch of images in ZIP archive with the extension changed to CBZ. If it's hard to find, though, then yeah, would probably be better. The Sony PRS-T1 runs on Android. If it's possible to use apps such as Perfect Viewer on it (might need to root), that would probably work best.
It's not full Android though.

Which means that you can't download apps or anything like that. But maybe you can root it, like the Nook STR.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Which means that you can't download apps or anything like that. But maybe you can root it, like the Nook STR.
Yes, you can root. Instructions on rooting and installing a custom home screen can be found in the Sony forums.