Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-04-2022, 02:13 PM   #1
Spinningwoman
Connoisseur
Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1
Library not listing newly added books.

I’ve used Calibre for years - never done anything clever with it, just kept my library on Dropbox so that I can easily download books to my phone and e-readers when I want them. I’ve never really needed to understand how the library works. Now I’ve got the odd effect that I added books, which showed quite normally on the Calibre screen and were correctly written to folders on Dropbox in the normal way. But on next entering Calibre, they aren’t in the library. They are still there on Dropbox but Calibre doesn’t seem to know about them. Presumably the library list is wrong somehow? How do I fix it?? Thanks. Great program by the way - I wish I could add audiobooks to the listings too.
Spinningwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 04:54 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Keep your library on your local drive and do a one way sync to Dropbox. calibre does not play nicely with network/NAS/cloud file systems and you will eventually end up with a corrupted library. See I am getting errors with my calibre library on a networked drive/NAS? in the calibre FAQs.

If you search on this forum, you will find quite a bit of advice on using Library maintenance to recover from some library corruption issues. I would suggest you copy your library back to your computer, add it as a library in calibre (Switch/create library, use the previously existing library at the new location) and then run Check library on it.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2022, 07:04 AM   #3
Spinningwoman
Connoisseur
Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks; I repaired my library and it all worked ok. I agree that I should probably move to keeping my library in the first instance on hard disk, backed up to Dropbox, but (a) I rather dread the time and work involved to switch as I manage calibre on a very slow, limited laptop and (b) I’m not clear how that would affect access to the Dropbox library via Calibre Sync. Wouldn’t that need a library db specifically pointing to Dropbox??
Old 09-06-2022, 10:28 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You simply MIRROR (one way) the library folder to the cloud with a program like Freefilesync WHEN CALIBRE IS NOT RUNNING. (avoids any file in use issues). You do NOT make Calibre changes direct to the cloud copy

FFS first scans the folder (that can take loner than the actual file update), then Transmits only the changed items.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:27 AM   #5
Spinningwoman
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You simply MIRROR (one way) the library folder to the cloud with a program like Freefilesync WHEN CALIBRE IS NOT RUNNING. (avoids any file in use issues). You do NOT make Calibre changes direct to the cloud copy

FFS first scans the folder (that can take loner than the actual file update), then Transmits only the changed items.

Thanks for explain that, but it adds a big extra step. I’m pretty sure the only reason I got the problem was because I accidentally had calibre open and connected to the Dropbox library on two computers. That’s a very rare likelihood for me as I normally only ever use it on my laptop, so I think I’ll probably just take regular backups in case of problems and continue to keep it in the cloud.
Advert
Old 09-08-2022, 11:26 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Good luck.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote