Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-06-2021, 07:48 PM   #1
Gotadimple
Zealot
Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nvidia Shield
$60 off Kindle 10th Gen or Oasis

Hi,
I just got an 'exclusive' offer to buy either the 10th Generation Kindle Paperwhite or a Kindle Oasis using a $60 off coupon from Amazon. Does anyone know if Amazon getting ready to issue new versions of these devices soon?

- Rita
Gotadimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:12 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I have seen no rumors to that effect. It has been awhile since the latest 10th generation Kindle shipped, however, I think the longest between generations we have seen.

E-Ink does have a slightly improved panel (has the touch layer integrated and they claim 30% increase in contrast ratio for B&W and 40% for color, with 15% improved saturation). It is certainly reasonable that Amazon is working on devices using these.

https://www.eink.com/news.html?type=...ar=2021&page=1
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:09 AM   #3
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'm highly skeptical of them announcing a new kindle model before next year, and I'm even more skeptical of it being a clear non-incremental upgrade when they do so, to the end user it wouldn't surprise me if it's like a PW4, except with USB-C. Maybe with a (faster?) Mediatek CPU like the speculation due to references to Mediatek found in the GPL source code they have to release legally. Though that may have just been some code from Fire tablets leaking in?

EDIT: But a faster CPU pretty much wouldn't make a noticeable difference since the bottleneck is the screen's refresh rate.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:22 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
40% increase in contrast for the Kaleido Plus screen makes a color Kindle more likely IMO. I'd certainly be tempted, depending on format and specs, of course.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:26 AM   #5
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But Amazon has historically taken years to add features major competitors add.

And AFAICT no major competitor has a color ePaper eReader (Kobo or Nook, mostly)
Old 08-07-2021, 11:47 AM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
When you can get a fire tablet as cheap as they are, I am not sure that Amazon can compete with color eink devices
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:51 AM   #7
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer

I mean, some people swear by eInk devices (disclaimer, I am one of them) but I doubt that there's enough demand for such a device.

Then again, Fire tablets are such a terrible experience...
Old 08-07-2021, 12:13 PM   #8
Gotadimple
Zealot
Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nvidia Shield
Thanks all. I'm currently using a 7th gen Kindle that works fine. I may upgrade because the coupon brings the price down to $79.99 for the PW - less than the basic Kindle.
Gotadimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:51 PM   #9
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I mean, some people swear by eInk devices (disclaimer, I am one of them) but I doubt that there's enough demand for such a device.

Then again, Fire tablets are such a terrible experience...
I love e-ink for reading, and only use tablet devices for cookbooks or magazines. I've no interest in color e-ink...I don't need color for reading novels etc.

I agree about the Fires being terrible experiences. I had several different models starting with the very first one, and once I used a real android tablet and an iPad, decided the Fires were awful. So undependable, constant reboots and resets to keep them working, slow, glitchy.

The last one we had was a refurbished Fire HD 8.9", and it wouldn't even run Netflix correctly. Just absolute garbage.

The 7" HDX had a beautiful screen, and was a decent tablet. But Amazon got cheap after that one.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 01:57 PM   #10
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer

Honestly, I suspect an eReader with Android would be less laggy than a Fire tablet, and less ad-infected as well.
Old 08-07-2021, 04:44 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Amazon long ago gave up on promoting Fire tablets as reading devices (only the first few generations were called Kindle Fire). They would not compete with a quality color e-reader (which would be much lighter and have much better battery life).

That said, Fire tablets are a good value, and I like the new streamlined desktop. The ads are not at all intrusive, you’re talking mostly just about the Lock Screen. Turn off all the notifications.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:47 PM   #12
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Amazon long ago gave up on promoting Fire tablets as reading devices (only the first few generations were called Kindle Fire). They would not compete with a quality color e-reader (which would be much lighter and have much better battery life).

That said, Fire tablets are a good value, and I like the new streamlined desktop. The ads are not at all intrusive, you’re talking mostly just about the Lock Screen. Turn off all the notifications.
Yeah, I agree. But I removed ads on mine, a Fire 7 2019. The experience has much improved since the days of the heavy skin with a carousel for media, and it is pretty fast. For the record, I own also the original Kindle Fire HD 7 and the 2013 version, so I should know at least something. These days the UI is extremely close to stock, and it's not as bloated as it used to be. Plus it's super easy to put Google Apps on the newer (Lollipop onwards based) versions, all you need to do is install a few APKs and then it works perfectly.
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote