Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-25-2015, 09:12 PM   #226
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have the PW2 and I have the refresh turned off for refreshing with every page turn and I am having no issues. And the page turns very fast without any issues.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:44 AM   #227
duydangle
Connoisseur
duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW|PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I don't think that's the cause. The page transitions are just fundamentally different. On pearl you can scroll so fast that the pages merge. Carta insists on a page refresh between pages. I'd think it was software, but all the carta devices I've used (Kobo and Kindle) behave the same.
I thought by default PW2 turns off every page refreshing? And you can turn off if the option is on, which is it will refresh only after pages.

//Hopefully anyone can compare sidebyside Voyage and the new paperwhite.
duydangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:22 AM   #228
samosa
Groupie
samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, AuraHD, AuraH2O, GloHD, Mini, DXG, PW123, Voyage, NookSTG
Paperwhite 3 on the left, Paperwhite 2 on the right. My PW2 is a particularly yellowy one. Links to the photos (they are too big to be put on here, but if they aren't so big then it's pointless as all the details wouldn't be obvious!)

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2czf4o2.jpg
http://oi58.tinypic.com/ajt7jk.jpg

I'm in China so I'm a few hours ahead of many here. People were reporting to receive their Kindles since 10 or 11am (GMT+8). I got mine in the afternoon around 4pm (GMT+8). A few people complain about the screen not aligning with the shell, some complain about the lights being a bit patchy (mine also a bit patchy but it's not serious). Compared to the Voyages I think the Voyages have a more evenly lit screen... all my Voyages are with my sister so I can't compare the three.

Last edited by samosa; 06-30-2015 at 10:29 AM.
samosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #229
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

samosa
Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:05 AM   #230
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa View Post
Paperwhite 3 on the left, Paperwhite 2 on the right. My PW2 is a particularly yellowy one. Links to the photos (they are too big to be put on here, but if they aren't so big then it's pointless as all the details wouldn't be obvious!)

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2czf4o2.jpg
http://oi58.tinypic.com/ajt7jk.jpg

I'm in China so I'm a few hours ahead of many here. People were reporting to receive their Kindles since 10 or 11am (GMT+8). I got mine in the afternoon around 4pm (GMT+8). A few people complain about the screen not aligning with the shell, some complain about the lights being a bit patchy (mine also a bit patchy but it's not serious). Compared to the Voyages I think the Voyages have a more evenly lit screen... all my Voyages are with my sister so I can't compare the three.
Thanks for taking the time. Your pw2 looks particularly yellow. Or maybe your pw3 is particularly cool? Pw2 "ink" looks darker but maybe it's just that the font is thicker.

How does contrast compare in real life. I know it's probably hard to judge since the cooler screen looks whiter so it will look like it has better contrast, but concentrate on the text. Also please try with front light on around 12. Max light can wash things out and I think few people actually use it that way.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:10 AM   #231
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Thanks for taking the time. Your pw2 looks particularly yellow. Or maybe your pw3 is particularly cool? Pw2 "ink" looks darker but maybe it's just that the font is thicker.

How does contrast compare in real life. I know it's probably hard to judge since the cooler screen looks whiter so it will look like it has better contrast, but concentrate on the text. Also please try with front light on around 12. Max light can wash things out and I think few people actually use it that way.
What's really needed is a picture taken with a decent camera that can do a proper white balance calibration. The automatic white balance of most phones and cheap cameras tends to go horribly awry when taking pictures of readers and tablets!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:28 PM   #232
samosa
Groupie
samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, AuraHD, AuraH2O, GloHD, Mini, DXG, PW123, Voyage, NookSTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post

Actually I have a second PW2 that is whiter than either of those two. The PWs vary quite a bit over the blue/yellow spectrum. I think it really is a lucky draw whether you get a PW with the level of blue/yellow that matches your taste.

Like you said, and I noticed also on the Voyage, the fonts on the 300PPI readers are skinnier. When I turned them on to the largest sized fonts, I think the two are equally black.
samosa is offline   Reply With Quote