Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
msrie
msrie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs505
Who here would consider buying a apple ipad clone?

I see that news on the net is that for $150 a clone will be available in china.

Would you guys consider this?

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/03/30/ipad-clone/
msrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Like any other machine it would depend on its features and price. So, yes, if it fulfilled my needs.

If the iPad had the features I need at the right price, I'd buy that. At the moment I'm holding out for a slightly larger model with a camera and better USB support, or indeed, a clone or similar device.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
msrie
msrie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs505
I think the ipad price must really be done to mainly the screen as they are expensive normally those monitor types.

I would consider one of these clones, if it was a decent screen for reading, but i am not holding my breath on it being so. But maybe.....
msrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
I need a larger screen for reading regular-sized PDFs, I need a real browser which supports Flash, and I am kind of sick of jailbreaking my iPhones, so I'd like a more open system.

So, yes, I'd be interested in anything which matches my preferences.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
jibril
Connoisseur
jibril is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrie View Post

Nope.

Once on ebay, I bought a charger for my PowerBook as I lost mine. Nothing in the listing gave me hint it was anything but OEM and it looked like the white OEM chargers but was cheaper than normal -- I figured overstock or refurbished. Instead, I got this white brick that was the same proportions but 20% bigger. It was comical. Also didn't have the lights where the cord joins the notebook that told you whether the notebook was charging (orange) or full (green). It also charged at 1/2 the rate my old charger did, taking way too long.

Worse, a second time I bought an ultrasonic contact lens cleaner. I didn't buy it because it was cheap (it was) but because I liked the look of the model. Got it, shipped from China. The writing on the machine was engrish and not quite correct. The machine sounded like it worked and got warm... but after I used it for 2 weeks, I woke up one morning to find a thin clear outer layer of my eye bloated air, I looked like some type of monster. It scared the hell out of me, went to the eye doctor and ended up shelling out $120 for the appointment and $150 for antibiotics. I wore contacts 14 years previous without problems.

I don't think this knock-off will kill you (well, exploding batteries might), but there will be no support after you buy it and probably no warranty or returns. It's based on android, but the software integration is going to suck too because the factory isn't going to stick the same work into it. Will it have a book store? It also looks bigger than 10 inches (high and narrow).

You are going to get what you pay for in this case, imo. There were also a lot of knock-off iphones from China, they're horrendous.

I'm done with knock-offs myself. I have a feeling this will turn out to be an expensive paperweight. At least wait until a reputable manufacture like HTC brings something like the iPad here.

Last edited by jibril; 04-04-2010 at 01:29 PM.
jibril is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I do not see the iPad as being a reader for me. All I want is something instant-on with all-day battery life so I can play MP3s, Powerpoint shows and YouTube clips to my students when I teach. I have a netbook, but its battery life is terrible and I waste a lot of time hunting for power outlets and waiting for Windows to boot up while my students sit there. Given what I plan to use it for, it is a little over-priced. I figure that by the time it gets to Canada, the other manufacturers will have had enough time to announce any knock-offs and I'll have a better sense of whether something else will meet my needs.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I need a larger screen for reading regular-sized PDFs, I need a real browser which supports Flash,
I was worried about both of these, but found neither to be a big deal after playing around with my g/f's.

I tried a double column, letter sized PDF in the good reader program and it was very readable. In portrait the text was pretty small, but readable. In landscape it was fine and the scrolling wasn't as bad as I expected since it's much quicker than scrolling around on a laptop or desktop etc.

Not having flash does still suck, but sights like ESPN worked, even the video so maybe they've adapted already? Just ran into some videos on news sites, facebook games etc. that didn't work etc. So I think it would be fine for a "surf the net on the couch" machine for me, with my laptop always nearby when needed.

I'm still not buying one right now as I want to see what else comes out, maybe wait for the 2nd gen iPad if nothing better comes out etc.

But I'm MUCH more impressed with the iPad than I expected to be.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #8
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrie View Post

Probably not at this point. While I have no objection to clones in general, I'm still not convinced that this type of device has any value for me. So for me, it isn't just about a lower price, I'm waiting to hear from the early adopters on how they use their devices and where it has value for them.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:13 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
That picture, if it's not been Photoshopped is pretty weird. The screen is obviously MUCH bigger. It looks almost legal paper sized. Could it be more a prototype left over from Apple? With the iPads being manufactured in China it could be possible that a demo could surface somewhere.
I've always wondered why Apple did not choose a 16:9 format straight away. This looks pretty much like one.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
No. Of what value are iPad icons when you can't run iPad apps? If I wanted an Android slate, I'd just get an android slate. Unlike the iPad, though -- I'd wait awhile after the Android slates come out for there to be apps written for it.

BTW, although I bought an iPad -- I will follow the forthcoming Android slates with interest. I think that Android, not Windows, is where the best competition to the iPad will come from.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:18 AM   #11
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
No way, deals like this always have hidden issues. For example, bad firmware and no updates.... features that just don't work, difficult to return if there is a problem...etc.

It is really cheaper to just get the real thing. If there is a problem, easy to return. Warranty is valid. You know what it really does, and therefore if it will work for you..... Things like this clone look pretty good in a photoshopped pic, but you are taking a big gamble....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Unlike the iPad, though -- I'd wait awhile after the Android slates come out for there to be apps written for it.
Aren't there 30,000 apps already for Android?

That's not a snipe, I'm genuinely interested. I don't have an Android device but I'm looking at things like the WePad, and when you go to the Android Market you only get to see a featured selection unless you actually login from an Android machine.

The apps I'd want seem to be there, like Documents To Go, Spotify, ebook readers and various games.

Graham
Old 04-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #13
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Aren't there 30,000 apps already for Android?
Yes. 30,000 apps written for a PHONE sized android device.

Do I expect a clone maker to even create the "pixel doubling" feature that Apple created for running the iPhone apps on the iPad? No.

Having run those iPhone apps on my iPad -- would I buy a device that ONLY had phone sized apps? Not a chance. I wouldn't have bought the iPad if it only could run iPhone apps.

If I wasn't confident in Apple's ability to get folks developing for the iPad, I wouldn't have bought the iPad on the first day either. And even as it is, it does feel like "where's all the apps" for my iPad despite the 2,000 of them already in the store.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #14
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Yes. 30,000 apps written for a PHONE sized android device.
Ah, I see. So I guess it depends how well they were written, and whether they resize automatically and with what limits.

Graham
Old 04-05-2010, 01:27 PM   #15
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Ah, I see. So I guess it depends how well they were written, and whether they resize automatically and with what limits.

Graham
From using a couple iPhone apps on my girlfriend's iPad, it doesn't work very sell.

It's not very good using the original size as it's so small. You can double it but then stuff is very pixelated since it's just making every pixel twice as big.

I'd think Android would have the same problem. For both iPad and Android tablets it will be a matter of waiting for the developers to put out tablet versions of their apps.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote