Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 10:03 PM   #16
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
So, I guess I should wait a week or so before purchasing my first reader. I have been researching since November and the Astak 6" EZ Reader so far seems to lead in meeting my requirements.
You should have a look at my review of the Entourage Edge:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66821
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:44 PM   #17
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
You should have a look at my review of the Entourage Edge:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66821
I looked at it. Thanks for turning me on to this product. I love it and the functionality seems to meet all my requirements. The one downside I see is that it weighs about three pounds which is the weight of my current laptop. As much as I would like the Edge, I'm afraid the thought of lugging an extra three pounds doesn't excite me. However, having the computer functionality does excite me but only if I can surf anywhere through 3G. I wonder if I could get my Verizon 3G USB modem to work on this? By the way, can you install any applications on it?
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I looked at it. Thanks for turning me on to this product. I love it and the functionality seems to meet all my requirements. The one downside I see is that it weighs about three pounds which is the weight of my current laptop. As much as I would like the Edge, I'm afraid the thought of lugging an extra three pounds doesn't excite me. However, having the computer functionality does excite me but only if I can surf anywhere through 3G. I wonder if I could get my Verizon 3G USB modem to work on this? By the way, can you install any applications on it?
I told Doug the exact same thing.

Yes, you can install Android software. For example, the Android version of Docs2Go works on the Edge.

As for the modem, all I know is that they are planning to support a version with 3G. Does the USB Modem require a driver? IF yes, then is there an Android version available?
Old 12-29-2009, 11:29 PM   #19
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I'm going to follow up on the 3G issue when I see Doug next at CES.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:32 AM   #20
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Souds pretty cool.
You american have some decent offer for internet TV, I envy you !
5 US per month buys you a US based VPN service. Hulu away!
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 03:33 AM   #21
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Nate, are you planning to record any videos while you're there?
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:12 AM   #22
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
So, having read the above, can I get some recommendations? And, should I wait till CES is over before pulling the trigger?

I am afraid that CES will happen but the new stuff will not be released until the spring or summer.
A lot of the CES announcements will be for spring/summer release, but at least you will know what will be available "soon". The EZ Reader Basic would not be a bad choice, and the only 6" alternative you might look at is the PocketBook 301+ because it has better PDF support. The 7" Sony PRS-900 might be better still for PDFs (because of its wide screen). Of the 9.7" screen devices announced so far, the PocketBook 901 is the best for your needs, but there are likely to be several more choices after CES. Note that all these devices will require you to convert PowerPoint and Excel to PDF, and perhaps DOC to HTML or ePub. The exception to this would be the Plastic Logic QUE, because it is WinCE based and therefore has access to MS office readers.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:14 AM   #23
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Of the 9.7" screen devices announced so far, the PocketBook 901 is the best for your needs
It would tempt me, if one could take note with it. But it seam to have neither touch screen or keybord.
But wasn't there rumors of a 902 with touch screen ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:27 AM   #24
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It would tempt me, if one could take note with it. But it seam to have neither touch screen or keybord.
But wasn't there rumors of a 902 with touch screen ?
There will be a 902, but I don't know when it will be available. I think even the 301+ can take notes, using an on-screen keyboard. This may not be easy to use without a touch screen though - so this is an advantage of the PRS-900.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:30 AM   #25
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Exacty, only a keyboard or touch screen would do.
Prs-900? Well, not availible in france. And i can't get the form factor. Will be better for ePub, but will make a mess with pdf, unless in landscape.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:49 AM   #26
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Prs-900? Well, not availible in france. And i can't get the form factor. Will be better for ePub, but will make a mess with pdf, unless in landscape.
I agree that the wide screen will only help for PDFs in landscape, but the screen width is the same as the 6" so it won't hurt in portrait mode. Sony is presumably going to release this is Europe, although the wireless makes this harder to do (no Sony ebook store, and new wireless providers to deal with).
Old 12-30-2009, 07:57 AM   #27
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
screen width is the same as the 6" so it won't hurt in portrait mode.
And, as far as pdf are concerned, it's not enough.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:50 AM   #28
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
Nate, are you planning to record any videos while you're there?
I want to, but my video camera just isn't good enough for closeups. If I do post any it will be from a digital camera.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #29
MidnightRun
Enthusiast
MidnightRun began at the beginning.

Device: none
Any infos about Paradigm Shift´s eReaders ?
Gizmodo Link

Sounds good to me
MidnightRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:07 AM   #30
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightRun View Post
Any infos about Paradigm Shift´s eReaders ?
Gizmodo Link

Sounds good to me
Yes:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67444

I forgot to add in the other thread that I found the original source for the story. Paradigm will be at CES, but is not officially an exhibitor.