Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #301
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
Can you PM me a link to a freely-downloadable Spanish book that demonstrates this problem? Even better if you can point to what chapter and page it happens on.
It's easier than that. Here you have a pretty simple epub to play around with it. (Thanks, Sigil ).

Or if you want to build it yourself, its html code is just this:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
  <title>Dashes Test</title>
</head>

<body style="text-align:justify;">
  <p>—This is the reference sentence —whoever exclaimed.</p>

<p>—This is AStressTestWithVeryLongWordsAgainstJustification, —whoever exclaimed—. TheStressTest ContinuesHere.</p>

<p><i>Now I'm protecting the wrong wrap with the</i> &lt;span style="white-space:nowrap;"&gt; <i>workaround:</i></p>

<p>—This is AStressTestWithVeryLongWordsAgainstJustification, <span style="white-space:nowrap">—whoever</span> <span style="white-space:nowrap">exclaimed—.</span> TheStressTest ContinuesHere.</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p><b><i>Now the same sentences using</i> &amp;mdash; <i>instead of —:</i></b></p>

<p>&mdash;This is the reference sentence &mdash;whoever exclaimed.</p>

<p>&mdash;This is AStressTestWithVeryLongWordsAgainstJustification, &mdash;whoever exclaimed&mdash;. TheStressTest ContinuesHere.</p>

<p><i>Now I'm protecting the wrong wrap with the</i> &lt;span style="white-space:nowrap;"&gt; <i>workaround:</i></p>

<p>&mdash;This is AStressTestWithVeryLongWordsAgainstJustification, <span style="white-space:nowrap">&mdash;whoever</span> <span style="white-space:nowrap">exclaimed&mdash;.</span> TheStressTest ContinuesHere.</p>
</body>
</html>
Play with it as much as you want.

I also upload a screenshot from Calibre e-book viewer which shows the right rendering and how the span trick fixes the wrong sentence wrap.

Edited----
Hey, what the hell! Here you have a picture directly taken from my Aura HD. In the second sentence the problem is already shown but the third one is just crazy. (The bigger spaces in the third sentence are caused because the span trick doesn't allow "exclaimed" and its "—" being in different lines).

Playing with margins and font sizes you can make it more or less obvious.

OTOH. Is it possible to take a screenshot directly from the Kobo Aura HD with some trick? (In my old PRS-650, you need PRS+ modified firmware to get it)

IMPORTANT EDIT - NEW BUG!!!! -------
Look at the new image (IMG_0241.jpg) which uses epub renderer NOT kepub one:

<span style="white-space:nowrap;"> has stopped working!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Within Calibre.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	114396   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0240.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	362.0 KB
ID:	114398   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0241.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	477.7 KB
ID:	114401  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Dashes Test - Yo.epub (2.1 KB, 357 views)

Last edited by arspr; 10-31-2013 at 05:18 PM. Reason: More info (a direct picture from the Kobo Aura HD) - AND ANOTHER RELATED BUG
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #302
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkr View Post
Bug: the reader doesnt display last books read on the home screen until i open any one book stored on the device(i have books in memory card).-started after reset.
Product: kobo aura hd
Firmware: 2.8.1

the bug started to happen when i did a reset after my kobo aura hd hanged after i plugged my aura hd to the computer and clicked connect on the kobo.
the computer after that didnt recognize the reader . so i unplugged it and did a pin hole reset .after that whenever i turn off and then on the books on the home screen dissapear. on shelves and stats remain unless i open a book by going inside library or shelves or i dismiss a tile.

I have done two resets to my reader both were when i formatted the memory card and inserted into the reader(as my ereader displayed cant recognize fat 32 memory card(or something like that)).when i connected my ereader to the computer to add books it hanged.the first time after reset the above bug didnt appear.but after the second reset the above bug appeared.
All that sounds like the database on the device has become corrupt. If you are using calibre and my utilities plugin, there is an option to run a check on the database. Unless this comes back with "OK", you will need to fix this by either logging out on the device or doing a factory reset.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2013, 06:23 AM   #303
rkr
rkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to behold

Device: kobo aura hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
All that sounds like the database on the device has become corrupt. If you are using calibre and my utilities plugin, there is an option to run a check on the database. Unless this comes back with "OK", you will need to fix this by either logging out on the device or doing a factory reset.
@davidfor i checked the database with you utilities plugin and it returned OK .now what should i do
pls help
thanks
rkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:27 AM   #304
rkr
rkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to behold

Device: kobo aura hd
i have 2 questions

1)i also have done the sign out procedure and the problem still remains.
home screen doesnt update itself automatically. and also sometimes while turning on a vertical black thick line(about 1 inch thick) comes and goes (when only the 5 squares are on the screen). this never happened before although the device doesnt hang. what should i do ??

2)if i have to do a factory reset should i remove the memory card? should i format the memory card before entering it into the reader after factory reset? how should i deauthorize my account before factory reset so that i dont loose books i downloaded from kobo store?

pls help
thanks in advance

Last edited by rkr; 11-02-2013 at 06:43 AM.
rkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:14 AM   #305
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
you can simply backup your books attaching the device to your PC with the USB cable and copying the files. It's better to backup also the database and the annotations (in .kobo and Digital Edition folders respectively). For resetting, read here.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #306
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

@arspr: your bugs are similar to this one. Do you know if they happens with other special characters too?
Old 11-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #307
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
@arspr: your bugs are similar to this one. Do you know if they happens with other special characters too?
It's similar and it's not.

The problem there is that html tags are breaking the link between punctuation marks and their partner word. I don't know if this is a bug or just how html is supposed to work. I cannot assure that that behaviour is wrong (even if it seems weird).

You should test if you suffer the issue in, let's say, <i>what</i>ever (which should be displayed as whatever). I bet that the renderer is also going to wrap in the middle of the word when necessary.

It would be similar to the trick with white-space:nowrap;. I mean, a dash is probably a "possible wrap point" in html standard. So the problem is not in the renderer (which uses html rules) but in the use that Spanish makes of dashes within dialogues. Because of that, I don't claim that wrapping between dashes and their partner word is a bug. I suppose that it is just a conflict between Spanish language rules and html ones (built upon English).

But the problem in kepub renderer is that it is breaking "—whatever—" in three different words even in the middle of a line. And I haven't seen this behaviour in any other place but in kepub renderer... And in addition, there doesn't seem to be any way to avoid or modify that behaviour. (While in your issue you can also use the white-space:nowrap; fix).

And, in the second bug, the epub renderer is not following the explicitly forbidden wrap through the white-space property...

Last edited by arspr; 11-03-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #308
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post
The problem there is that html tags are breaking the link between punctuation marks and their partner word. I don't know if this is a bug or just how html is supposed to work. I cannot assure that that behaviour is wrong (even if it seems weird).

You should test if you suffer the issue in, let's say, <i>what</i>ever (which should be displayed as whatever). I bet that the renderer is also going to wrap in the middle of the word when necessary.
That bug irritates me, too. Ideally, rendering (and, thus, hyphenation) should be based on the final text, with HTML tags not considered - except where they're supposed to affect rendering, as with BR linebreaks and other such special cases.

The various small-caps workarounds are particularly galling in that respect. You wind up with stuff like:

Imagine Small C
aps Here

...where you don't even get a hyphen, because "C" and "aps" aren't understood to be a single word.

Last edited by Rev. Bob; 11-03-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #309
arspr
Dead account. Bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
That bug irritates me, too. Ideally, rendering (and, thus, hyphenation) should be based on the final text, with HTML tags not considered - except where they're supposed to affect rendering, as with BR linebreaks and other such special cases.

The various small-caps workarounds are particularly galling in that respect. You wind up with stuff like:

Imagine Small C
aps Here

...where you don't even get a hyphen, because "C" and "aps" aren't understood to be a single word.
Yes it can be irritating but as I said, at least you can fix it with the <span style="white-space:nowrap;"> setting around the area you want to protect...
Old 11-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #310
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Yes it can be irritating but as I said, at least you can fix it with the <span style="white-space:nowrap;"> setting around the area you want to protect...
Well, no, you can't - or at least, if that works, it shouldn't. The white-space property handles white space, breaks caused by spaces (or linefeeds, et al.) between words. The correct property here would be word-break, which doesn't seem to be supported in EPUB 2 (although -epub-word-break appears to be part of EPUB 3).

Last edited by Rev. Bob; 11-03-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #311
arspr
Dead account. Bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Well, no, you can't - or at least, if that works, it shouldn't. The white-space property handles white space, breaks caused by spaces (or linefeeds, et al.) between words. The correct property here would be word-break, which doesn't seem to be supported in EPUB 2 (although -epub-word-break appears to be part of EPUB 3).
Yes, I suppose you are right but nevertheless white-space works, probably because HTML tags, or posible line break areas are just treated like, well, white spaces, even if they strictly aren't
Old 11-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #312
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

As workaround, try:

Code:
white-space: nowrap !important;
word-wrap: normal !important;
text-wrap: none !important;
text-justify: inter-word !important;
Old 11-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #313
arspr
Dead account. Bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
As workaround, try:

Code:
white-space: nowrap !important;
word-wrap: normal !important;
text-wrap: none !important;
text-justify: inter-word !important;
It doesn't work. On the former epub I've added text-justify: inter-word to body and the rest to the "protecting" spans and both issues remain the same:
  • KEPUB renderer (called ACCESS?) has a horrible space between dashes and words.
  • EPUB renderer (RMSDK) has broken the white-span trick...

(And by the way I've discovered a completely different one. See next post).
Old 11-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #314
arspr
Dead account. Bye

Highlights remain AFTER deleting the book

Product: Aura HD
Firmware: 2.8.1. (b2c05cda0e, 9/20/2013)
Plugins: ???
File types: epubs (I haven't tested on kepubs and it's late)
Sideloaded or from Kobobooks: Loaded through Calibre
On external SD: No
Steps to reproduce:
  1. Open any epub.
  2. Highlight any text.
  3. Within the Kobo device, delete the epub. (So nobody can say it's Calibre's fault).
  4. Reload the epub (or a modified epub version as it was my case) through Calibre.
  5. Open it.
  6. Voilà. You have your previous annotations. More or less, because maybe you made highlights in order to fix typos, like I did, so the new old book is not the same anymore...
  7. If I delete a book, I delete the book, ALL the book. The next book with the same name/author or whatever can be a complete different edition. Keeping the annotations (highlights at least) is just pointless. And in addition, I suppose they spend internal storage (big or small it doesn't matter) that I'm losing!!!
Current result: Outdated highlights, pointless use of internal storage
Workaround: None that I know but deleting highlights BEFORE deleting the ebook. And that can be a PITA because there's no "Delete All" option... (Ideas are welcomed)
Old 11-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #315
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Highlights remain AFTER deleting the book

Product: Aura HD
Firmware: 2.8.1. (b2c05cda0e, 9/20/2013)
Plugins: ???
File types: epubs (I haven't tested on kepubs and it's late)
Sideloaded or from Kobobooks: Loaded through Calibre
On external SD: No
Steps to reproduce:
  1. If I delete a book, I delete the book, ALL the book. The next book with the same name/author or whatever can be a complete different edition. Keeping the annotations (highlights at least) is just pointless. And in addition, I suppose they spend internal storage (big or small it doesn't matter) that I'm losing!!!
Current result: Outdated highlights, pointless use of internal storage
Workaround: None that I know but deleting highlights BEFORE deleting the ebook. And that can be a PITA because there's no "Delete All" option... (Ideas are welcomed)
This has been discussed before. The reporter was happy about it because they wanted to replace the book but keep the annotations.

The problem is that the annotations file is not removed. Annotations for epubs and PDFs on the main memory are stored in the database and in a file. When the book is opened, the file is read and replaces any annotations in the database. Deleting the file before opening the new version of the book should solve this. The file is in "Digital Editions\Annotations". The rest of the path and name are the same as the books path and name with the added extension "ANNOT".

Because of the above, it doesn't affect books on the SD card or kepubs.

Last edited by davidfor; 11-04-2013 at 06:12 PM. Reason: reduce quoting
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pocket app