Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 02-07-2008, 07:42 PM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
GEB Librarian *.imp.save files

Hello,
i didn't see this info anywhere else on the forum, so i'm hoping someone knows about it.

GEB Librarian seems to create a backup copy of all files that i copy to my eb1150. so, if i have a file called ebook.imp which weighs 500ko, and then i use the Librarian to put it on my eb1150, if i look in the files using windows file explorer (it doesn't show in the Librarian), i see the original ebook.imp at 500ko AND ebook.imp.save, which also weighs 500ko.

what is this ".imp.save" file ? apparently, the Librarian doesn't delete the original file, only copies it (which is perfect, so i have a backup), and i have yet to find a way to get a file OFF the eb1150 onto my hd using the Librarian (sub-question : if there is a way, please tell me !), and as far as i can see, no "syncing" ever goes on between the eb1150 and the Librarian so i can't imagine what they could be used for. so what is the point in having this backup ?

if i delete a book from my eb1150 using the device interface, the .save file is still there, and (stranger still) even if i remove it from my library using the Librarian, it is also still there. the only way to get rid of it is to manually delete it from the file explorer.

for the moment this is not a real problem but if my library is going to eventually double (or more) in size because of pointless .save files it IS problem (i already have over 250mo of imp files, and that is not counting all the PG text files i'm planning to convert which already weigh several go, plus whatever i download in the future...).

can i just delete them ? are they ever used for anything ? better yet, is there a way to modify a parameter in the Librarian so they are never created ?

thanks for any help !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
Hello,
i didn't see this info anywhere else on the forum, so i'm hoping someone knows about it.

GEB Librarian seems to create a backup copy of all files that i copy to my eb1150. so, if i have a file called ebook.imp which weighs 500ko, and then i use the Librarian to put it on my eb1150, if i look in the files using windows file explorer (it doesn't show in the Librarian), i see the original ebook.imp at 500ko AND ebook.imp.save, which also weighs 500ko.

what is this ".imp.save" file ? apparently, the Librarian doesn't delete the original file, only copies it (which is perfect, so i have a backup), and i have yet to find a way to get a file OFF the eb1150 onto my hd using the Librarian (sub-question : if there is a way, please tell me !), and as far as i can see, no "syncing" ever goes on between the eb1150 and the Librarian so i can't imagine what they could be used for. so what is the point in having this backup ?

thanks for any help !
this is created when you modify a category, not when you do the load. I have asked the author to add a way to erase them but unless he decides to do another release it won't be changed. He was worried that changing the category might corrupt the file I suppose.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2008, 11:22 PM   #3
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
The GEBlibrarian allows you to 'edit' the Title, Author and/or Category of any .IMP using the Details... button and then the Edit... button.

The '.save' file is just a backup copy of your ebook BEFORE editing the above items. If you are satisfied that your edited ebook is OK, then you can just delete the '.save' to regain that space.

It's too bad that the author hasn't been willing to update the program since v1.2 (build 370). I like being able to 'edit' the metadata info of any .IMP. I use its transfer facility periodically, but rarely use it to 'create' ebooks.

I found that many hyper-links that worked in the .html file were being broken in the resulting .IMP files, so I abandoned its use. I later discovered a 'work-around' fix that requires hex-editing the GEBLibrarianImporter.exe file to avoid it using '%s-formatted.html' for its internal filename when referring to links. Even though the links now work properly, I find eBook Publisher allows greater control and can produce a 'better' ebook.

-Nick
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:49 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
aha ! now i understand !! i have been modifying a lot of meta-data in my library so that is where all those .save files came from. i was confused because i usually transferred the book to my reader after editing the data. if i had an .imp book which was lost / corrupted, if i just remove the .save extension, the .save file becomes an .imp file again with no other intervention necessary ? good to know (although i doubt i will need this).

i don't see any corruption coming from these minor details so i think i can safely get rid of the .save files. maybe i will stop playing with the meta-data so much to avoid them...

i don't use the Librarian to create .imp files (i tried, but it didn't work very well), only to transfer them to my device. i use ebook Publisher to create them.

thanks very much for the info ! i knew someone would know the answer here !! you guys are brilliant !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote