Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
New calibre metadata download

Mistake
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Do you mean the new metadata download system is a mistake, or you made that post by mistake? If the first, please elaborate, if the latter, I can delete the thread, if you want.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Delete the thread . Of course I wouldn't have just said a mistake if I meant something wrong with metadata download function
Although I would LOVE a direct key combination to download only metadata as I usually do only that.

There could be a function to delete your own thread if only 5 minutes passed or something. Since I have a curse to ask and then figure it out myself
Or complain and it starts working...
Old 05-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
Noughty
Addict

Sorry for the post, but since I already started the topic

I wondered if it is possible to download metadata according to the ISBN? Now then I download metadata, if the title is wrong I fail to download metadata even then I have an ISBN number.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
you now have to type isbn: in front of the isbn number (version 8)
I liked the old way better but I am sure I am in a minority so it is all good.
BTW the new version 8 does a better job of ignoring crap or mispellings in the title if the author is right. Takes a while though.
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
Noughty
Addict

Ok, so I have in ids: isbn:123456788756
Why can't I download metadata according to the isbn? Author, title are wrong. I want to use isbn to neatly rename files too, as I hate to do it manually and there is always a chance of writing it a little off. If it downloaded metadata using isbnas identifier for the book, there would be no problems.
Any ideas on how to?
Old 05-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
123456788756 isn't a valid isbn number, so you will get no matches.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
you now have to type isbn: in front of the isbn number (version 8)
I liked the old way better but I am sure I am in a minority so it is all good.
BTW the new version 8 does a better job of ignoring crap or mispellings in the title if the author is right. Takes a while though.
Helen
If there is not a button to the left, of Identifiers, Un-install Calibre .8 (your Library remains) and get a fresh download (a sneaky update happened) , The button click prefixes the words .
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #9
Noughty
Addict

That isbn was made up
I just wanted to show how it looks.

Can I download metadata only by author and title? Isn't ISBN safer and easier to use as identifier of the book?

I had quite a few books, with whole title and author name which were renamed to some other books
Old 05-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #10
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The metadata downloads do use the isbn if it is specified and if it is valid. If it is missing or invalid, then it falls back to using title/author.

If you don't want your title/author overwritten, uncheck them in the metadata configuration screen.

If you are getting a weird result, post the actual isbn/title/author so someone can investigate.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #11
Noughty
Addict

Ok. How to specify it to use isbn?

As now I download metadata for a book with bad author name, title but good isbn - I get nothing
I rename the same book, fix the author - I get results
Old 05-10-2011, 06:13 PM   #12
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Ermmm... read my post again. It *is* doing a check for ISBN already. Give us a specific ISBN value and tell us what metadata plugins you have enabled.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #13
Noughty
Addict

Ok. Found the problem, apparently ISBN number was different than the one in database in goodreads. In calibre I had ISBN 10 and in goodreads there was ISBN 13 so it didn't match. That's why I thought that it doesn't use ISBN correctly or something then downloading metadata.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #14
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noughty View Post
Ok. Found the problem, apparently ISBN number was different than the one in database in goodreads. In calibre I had ISBN 10 and in goodreads there was ISBN 13 so it didn't match. That's why I thought that it doesn't use ISBN correctly or something then downloading metadata.
If it wasn't clear: If isbn is specified, that overrides all other specified search data. That's how you "tell" calibre to use it - just specify it.

There can be many isbns for a single book. A different one is issued for the paperback edition, the hardcover, etc. Specifying author/title gives you a better chance of matching at least one isbn for the book, while specifying the isbn lets you match the correct isbn for a scanned book. It just depends on what you want.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #15
Noughty
Addict

ok. I extracted the isbn from the book and downloaded metadata. I looked in a log and it found a few matches but for some reason it chose the wrong book (it had partial author, one word in title matching), while the correct book had isbn matching and author and title names completely. And it was the first match in the list, how can I select the correct match? Whats the point to give a few matches in log if I cannot choose the right book...

This time everything in ebook info was perfect: title, author AND isbn. But it choose to download metadata for book which only had one word in title matching, partial author matching.

How it does that? Choose the completely specific book with a name mile long instead of a book which has everything matching.

Book title was Taken and it downloaded Lectures on the Comparative Anatomy and Physiology of the Invertebrate Animals, From Notes Taken by W.W. Cooper

Is it like a really popular book or something that it overrides the right matadata or what? Why isbn was ignored? I checked isbn is very clearly written in identifiers (just as the author and title is).