Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #13051
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Scholar is set in the same universe as the Imager series, but is a completely different story arc and pre-dates the events of Imager by some undefined amount of time. Read by William Dufries, this is an excellent series that is very well read. The amount of time spent talking about the "Nameless" is still a bit too much, but that's one reason these make perfect Audible books. Somehow that becomes easier to ignore in an audiobook. Overall, I still very much enjoy the series, and I look forward with anticipation to the next one in this part of the story arc. Due out next month, I believe.
Oh dear. I'm afraid that I find that Mr Modesitt has an impressive talent for making even the most interesting topic seem mind-numbingly tedious.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #13052
BordersCrafter
BordersCrafter can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsBordersCrafter can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsBordersCrafter can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsBordersCrafter can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsBordersCrafter can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsBordersCrafter can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsBordersCrafter can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsBordersCrafter can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsBordersCrafter can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsBordersCrafter can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsBordersCrafter can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kobo Touch
Currently reading "A Scots Quair" by Lewis Grassic Gibbon. Read the first book in the set for my Higher English exam many moons ago, and wanted to read all three. Also reading "Just After Sunset" by Stephen King. I've bought the hardback copy of the latest "Dark Tower" offering too, but I'm saviing that for another day!
BordersCrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #13053
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I haven't posted here in a while, so here's an update. Since the last post I've read.

Richard Matheson, I Am Legend. Great. I’m don’t know why I put off reading this for so long.

Nomi Aldort, Raising Our Children Raising Ourselves. I need to grow up.

Arlene G. Taylor, The Organization of Information. Dull, but informational. I needed to read this book, but probably only about three chapters of it.

John Updike, Rabbit, Run. This was very good. I’m glad I choose to finally read some Updike this year.

Dave Bidini, Tropic of Hockey: My Search for the Game in Unlikely Places. Now I’m all full of piss and vinegar and want to cross-check someone. A really enjoyable travel-history-personal story book on finding the game one loves again.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #13054
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Just started Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman in anticipation of it winning this month's Mobile Read Book Club vote .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #13055
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Just started Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman in anticipation of it winning this month's Mobile Read Book Club vote .
Hope you'll like it.

Me, I just finished Tigana and started The Way of Shadows, the first of Brent Weeks' Night Angel trilogy. Still reading the Grapes of Wrath. Somehow I don't feel like reading it fast. Just one chapter each time I remember I'm still reading it.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #13056
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Oh dear. I'm afraid that I find that Mr Modesitt has an impressive talent for making even the most interesting topic seem mind-numbingly tedious.
If I were reading these, as opposed to listening to an audio book, I strongly suspect I'd agree completely. I haven't had any motivation to buy them as eBooks. But I am enjoying them as audio books, though there are certainly sections where I glaze over and don't pay all that much attention.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #13057
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Kate Shugak Series by Dana Stabenow and G. Norman Lippert

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I've just finished reading the most recently published book in the Mary Russell series, book 11, The Pirate King and it, like the rest of the books in this series, was a good read. There's a 12th book in the series that's being released this September, called Garment of Shadows. I look forward to it.

So I've just starting to read book 6 in Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak series (always a good read), Blood Will Tell.

Finished Book 6, Blood Will Tell. It was great!

Lulu.com emailed me about a site-wide sale the other day and I picked up the last 2 published ebooks that I'd not yet read by G. Norman Lippert, Flyover Country and The God of Lost Things. One reason I'd been putting of the purchase was that they were only available as PDFs. This was still true, but I got'em anyway and spent some time converting them to a readable EPUB and MOBI. Oh well!

So, I'm going to read them next.

Last edited by alansplace; 04-30-2012 at 11:27 PM. Reason: spelling
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:21 PM   #13058
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
I think I might give up on Moby-Dick. After three attempts where I haven't made it past 25% of the way into the book, I just have absolutely no desire to finish it. I think I might accept that this book isn't for me and just move on.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:06 AM   #13059
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
I've enjoyed every one of them, EXCEPT #9. I won't read that one -- too violent. On the other hand, I loved #7, Break Up. Just plain funny!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:35 AM   #13060
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
now reading Freya the Huntress by (m.r. alum) Joseph Robert Lewis. immensely charming and well done indie fantasy.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:56 AM   #13061
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Beyond Heaven's River by Greg Bear.
OK, but not a very convincing situation or characters.

Next I read Hunters of the Red Moon by Marin Zimmer Bradley.

This was better, with some interesting ideas, but ultimately not very satisfying for me.

And now: Curses! by Aaron Elkins. Looking fun so far!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #13062
Mel Comley
Addict
Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've just finished reading Linda Prather's three novels. Now I'm moving onto and working my way through Barbara Silkstone's humorous mystery novels.
Mel Comley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #13063
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Did you read 'Foundation' before you read 'Foundation and Empire?' The one you read is in the middle of the trilogy and really requires knowledge of what went on in the first book. When read in order, it's thrilling read. Please read the first book now, and you will have a very different opinion about the second. The third obviously will fall right into place. As it is, you came in in the middle of the movie...

Stitchawl
Yes, I read Foundation back in January, and liked it more. I have an omnibus edition I am working my way through. I don't know if it's just the longer pieces in Foundation and Empire, but it didn't work for me.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #13064
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Just started Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #13065
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool G. Norman Lippert

Quote:

Lulu.com emailed me about a site-wide sale the other day and I picked up the last 2 published ebooks that I'd not yet read by G. Norman Lippert, Flyover Country and The God of Lost Things. One reason I'd been putting of the purchase was that they were only available as PDFs. This was still true, but I got'em anyway and spent some time converting them to a readable EPUB and MOBI. Oh well!

So, I'm going to read them next.
I just finished reading a novella called Flyover Country by G. Norman Lippert. It was really a fun read. It felt like an episode of The Twilight Zone. Now on to Lippert's other Lulu.com based PDF book The God of Lost Things, which appears to be a somewhat longer book.
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote