Notices

Old 09-04-2008, 03:41 AM   #16
fdemers
fdemers is on a distinguished road

Device: lbook V3
Second the Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
And, don't overlook the masters of SF, among them: Arthur C Clarke, Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, Poul Anderson, Andre Norton, Anne McCaffrey, James White, Roger Zelazny, and Alan Dean Foster.
"The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" is from Heinlein's so-called middle period (1960 - 1973). Other titles from that period include Time Enough for Love and Stranger in a Strange Land. Well worth reading.

Modern speculative fiction was founded by Heinlein, Asimov and Clarke. Reading Foundation by Isaac Asimov will quickly tell you if you want more of him. Clarke is probably best-known for the "2001" novel and screenplay he co-wrote with Stanley Kubrick. However, I recommend Childhood's End as encapsulating most of Clarke's themes.

If you are looking for less rockets and more human struggles with daily life in postulated futures, read Philip K. Dick. Anything he wrote but in particular The Man in the High Castle, Flow my Tears, the Policeman Said and A Scanner Darkly.

Dangerous Visions, an anthology of short (sort of) stories edited by Harlan Ellisson (himself a stunning writer) is a must read.

Finally, I applaud the list of authors quoted above. All of them can actually write, something that can not be said of all authors of SF. I would like to add Stanislaw Lem to the list: The Cyberiad (magnificently translated from the original Polish by Michael Kandel) and Cordwainer Smith's Rediscovery of Man.

I am currently reading Neal Stephenson's Diamond Age for the fourth time...

Enjoy
fdemers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:45 PM   #17
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
OMG! I forgot to include Ursula LeGuin. If you want something that will make you think instead of the "shoot-em-up in space" adventure stories, check out her Hainish novels. In my opinion, the most important one in that universe is The Left Hand of Darkness.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:02 PM   #18
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdemers View Post
"The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" is from Heinlein's so-called middle period (1960 - 1973). Other titles from that period include Time Enough for Love and Stranger in a Strange Land. Well worth reading.
While I'll grant that they were written during the same period, neither of these books is similar to The Moon is a Harsh Mistress in writing style or theme, and I personally didn't like either of them, whereas The Moon is a Harsh Mistress remains one of my all-time favorites, one that I've re-read frequently.

Heinlein's Citizen of the Galaxy is probably the most "mature" of his "young adult" books; The Rolling Stones is set in the same universe as TMIAHM and has one overlapping character (Hazel Stone). Between Planets and Red Planet both deal with similar issues of colonialism (a popular theme with Heinlein). For non-Heinlein that might be similar in enjoyment, I'd suggest John Barnes' Orbital Resonance. C.J.Cherryh's "Company Wars" books (e.g. Downbelow Station) have some similar themes, but the writing style is usually so different from Heinlein that I'm not sure if you'd like them. I'd recommend Rimrunners and Heavy Time, however. David Brin's "Uplift" series might appeal to you, or perhaps Earth, which is a standalone book.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #19
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz116 View Post
Damn, so many suggestions...

Some of which I have read already, but many sounds interesting.
So many books, so little time

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #20
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
http://www.enter.net/~torve/critics/...dcontents.html

This book about Heinlein served me well as a summary of most of his best books and stories. Unfortunately it doesn't mention his late work, as it was written before his death.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote