Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
wired4net
wired4net began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Calibre 1.45 Request to Make Edit Title Change an Option

Sir,

I notice Calibre 1.45 has been changed so that editing the Title field in the metadata no longer automatically changes the Title Sort field. I have been relying on the former behavior for a long time to speed up numerous changes I make to somewhat standardize titles (especially punctuation, removing "a novel", etc.) on many titles.

Is there any chance this change could be made into an option in a future version?

Thanks for considering this.

Wired4net
wired4net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by wired4net View Post
Sir,

I notice Calibre 1.45 has been changed so that editing the Title field in the metadata no longer automatically changes the Title Sort field. I have been relying on the former behavior for a long time to speed up numerous changes I make to somewhat standardize titles (especially punctuation, removing "a novel", etc.) on many titles.

Is there any chance this change could be made into an option in a future version?

Thanks for considering this.

Wired4net

Editing the title (or Author) in the spreadsheet should auto update
Editing (single ) in the Metadata editor is supposed to allow custom sorts unless you us the icon on the right (between Title and Title sort) to copy (using the tweak setting rules)

Bulk mode has a tick box (can be used even if no other change: do a retroactive sort )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
When I read this in 1:45 Release Notes I scratched my head and wondered why?

Quote:
Edit metadata dialog: Do not auto change the title sort field when clicking OK if the title was changed. Instead the title sort field must be changed explicitly.
It doesn't bother me because I do all my Title changes in the book list (spreadsheet), As theducks wrote a Title change there automatically updates Title Sort.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:39 PM   #4
wired4net
wired4net began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
For what it is worth, I like to edit titles one-by-one in the metadata, since I then have the option to see a larger version of the book cover, see the title sort field, view the book to check out the title page, etc. Different strokes... as they say.

Anyway, I recognize everyone uses this wonderful program in different ways. Also, I don't know how difficult it is to add new "options". But, I don't really think it was a "bug" to begin with, and therefore might be a candidate for a tweak, or the like.

If I am in a minority, or if it is too much trouble -- then no harm no foul.

Wired4net
wired4net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:28 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
When finished editing the title, hit tab to move to the little button next to title/titlesort then hit space to push the button. Title sort will be updated.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2014, 04:02 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is a button dedicated to auto setting the title sort from the title. Automatic changes were an oversight.

You can slo auto set the title sort value for large numbers of book in bulk with the bulk metadata edit dialog.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote