Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-25-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
hpjrt
Connoisseur
hpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watch

Device: kobo
Stupid question of the day ...

Okay ... here's today's stupid question.

How do you unmount the Kobo from ADE?

Last night I successfully downloaded a book from the library ... and it "seemed" to transfer it to the Kobo ... [I was positive I saw it in the "I'm Reading" list when I disconnected from the computer ... but the new book wasn't there this morning! ] ... but I was unable to find any "unmount" or "eject" option within ADE.

I tried to use the "my computer" spot to eject the Kobo ... but when I try to do that, I get an error message.

I'm thinking that the reason I can't find the book on my Kobo today was a syncing problem ... due to improper "unmount".

So ... what am I missing?

I've searched ... but so far I've only found references to "unmounting" ... not how to do so.

Thanks

Mary
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
On my Windows Vista computer, if I right click/eject in Windows explorer, I get an error dialog.

However, "safely remove" seems to do the trick. I use "Safely Remove" - right-clicking in Windows explorer.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
I recall the icon near the system clock, if I follow the idea correctly.
Right click, select unmount option, confirm hundred times and here
you go. Or I missed the topic completely?
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
hpjrt
Connoisseur
hpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watch

So ... there is no "unmount" option within Adobe Digital Editions? I'm using Windows XP ... on most of my computers at any rate.

If I go to Start --> MyComputer and then right click on the "drive" icon representative of the Kobo device the only applicable option is "eject" ... which works fine if I have a flash drive/stick in there ... but gives me an error message when I have tried this with the Kobo after downloading a book. [If I were at home I'd be able to tell you what the error message is ... but it definitely said that the "eject" feature had "failed".]

I know that within Calibre and Kobobooks there is a "dismount" or "unmount" option ... but with ADE there doesn't seem to be. I tried right clicking just about everywhere I could think of ... but I could find it nowhere.

I'm wondering now that since in order to seamlessly download a library book one needs to have ADE running and the Kobo on ... perhaps by shutting down ADE it would automatically "unmount" the Kobo. Thoughts?

Mary
Old 08-25-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
There is an arrow in my lower right corner that will show hidden icons. I click that and see the Kobo icon and then right click and "eject" then a note saying I can safely unplug shows.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpjrt View Post
I'm wondering now that since in order to seamlessly download a library book one needs to have ADE running and the Kobo on ... perhaps by shutting down ADE it would automatically "unmount" the Kobo. Thoughts?

Mary
I don't think that's considered "safely removing". You can eject the Kobo "safely" from the Kobo desktop app and from Calibre, if use either one of those programs. Also in Windows XP there should be a green icon in the bottom right corner to "safely remove device" any time you plug in a usb or sd card (not sure if that's where you're getting the error message from)
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
hpjrt
Connoisseur

Thanks Pookeysgirl ... I had quite forgotten about that "safely remove hardware" icon ... which is generally "hidden" ... but which worked beautifully.

Oddly, despite my earlier thoughts ... the newly borrowed book was downloaded to the device ... but it was stored in the general "books" section ... and not in the "I'm Reading" section where I was expecting it. I'm not sure if this is because it is a library book ... or if I managed to somehow relegate it there ... but I did find it and "opened" it ... so it is on my "I'm Reading" list now.

This is only the second library book I've downloaded and I'm not altogether familiar with how these things go.

When I purchase a book, it always shows up in the "I'm Reading" section with a little *new* beside it. I guess library books are different.

Thanks for all the help ...

Mary
Old 08-25-2010, 05:57 PM   #8
mwlcarter
Connoisseur
mwlcarter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
I think the whole "safely remove" thing dates back to Windows 95 days when write caching was enabled for removable drives. Now that write caching is no longer enabled by default for removable drives, it's kind of an anachronistic thing for Kobo to be telling people to eject/safely remove their Kobo device from Windows.
mwlcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpjrt View Post
Last night I successfully downloaded a book from the library ... and it "seemed" to transfer it to the Kobo ... [I][I was positive I saw it in the "I'm Reading" list when I disconnected from the computer ... but the new book wasn't there this morning!
Mary
In my experience, when I load a book onto Kob using either ADE or Calibre, it initially shows in the I'm reading list, but if I don't actually open the book (thus creating a bookmark), it slips back into "books" on the Kobo next time I connect the Kobo to the computer. Of course I can open it from there easily enough.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
KjellM
Connoisseur
KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Glo HD, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlcarter View Post
I think the whole "safely remove" thing dates back to Windows 95 days when write caching was enabled for removable drives. Now that write caching is no longer enabled by default for removable drives, it's kind of an anachronistic thing for Kobo to be telling people to eject/safely remove their Kobo device from Windows.
I think it is best to use "safely remove" as the only time I have ever had my Kobo lock up was when I unplugged it from the computer without using safely remove !
KjellM is offline   Reply With Quote