Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #3046
majormom
majormom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 keyboard
I followed the steps for the Kindle3 keyboard (3Kw) files for the jailbreak & the screen saver hacks. I can see them in the directory all seemed to go perfectly.
Challenge:
1. I did both "updates" both progressed and showed "failed"
2. Restarted the Kindle. Still original screen images.
3. Noted comments re. randomize @ boot, and "shuffle" @ boot.
4, Copied and pasted "autoreboot" renamed copy "shuffle" & a second copy "random". Restarted using the restart on "menu" Old images are still there.
What have I missed?
majormom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #3047
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You did not get past step 1 without a failure notice.
Did those failures present an error code? What was it?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #3048
majormom

No in accordance with the harck article it said it would "fail" since it wasn't really an update, but rather allowing custom sleep screens. No error message
Old 04-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #3049
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormom View Post
No in accordance with the harck article it said it would "fail" since it wasn't really an update, but rather allowing custom sleep screens. No error message
Links please. Both of them please.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #3050
majormom

Addendum to the "fail" message. I downloaded jailbreak version 0.11N & kindlle-ss-0.34.N and in accordance to my listed SN B008 the 3Kw file. I have since uninstalled 1st the sleep saver and then the JB and there is no longer an "update option" and all seems back to normal except the linkss folder remains and within it is a subfolder "screensavers with all my pics to include a new one "00_you_can_delete_me". My software version is 3.4 (1725970040).
Advert
Old 04-02-2013, 12:03 AM   #3051
kolosus
kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle 4 NT (wifi), Kindle 5 (3g + wifi)
Trying to do the font hack on my Kindle 4 NT.

I replaced all the Serif_*.ttf fonts on the Kindle for the ones that I'd like. I used the Ubuntu fonts since those are free to use, modify etc. 4 files were backed up and replaced. Regular, bold, italic and bolditalic.

After reboot the font on my home page has changed. When I'm looking at the collection of books on my device the font is the Ubuntu font that I wanted... problem is that the text of the book itself is still "stock".

Am I doing something wrong? I looked up information on this post.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=97
kolosus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:07 AM   #3052
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
could be encoded in the book... did you try more than one book?

I have one book that refuses to change font : )
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:17 AM   #3053
kolosus
kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle 4 NT (wifi), Kindle 5 (3g + wifi)
False alarm folks. After rebooting about 5 times the font has changed. Not sure what I'd done wrong before or what I did correct since but the problem is solved. Thanks.
kolosus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #3054
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosus View Post
False alarm folks. After rebooting about 5 times the font has changed. Not sure what I'd done wrong before or what I did correct since but the problem is solved. Thanks.
It probably took that long to rebuild the new font cache.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #3055
majormom

Thank you for the response to FDR. Learn something every day. As far as the original message--- Should I use the JB ver 0.11N and the ss ver 0.34N and try a reinstall? Note Kindle 3 with software ver 3.4
Old 04-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #3056
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormom View Post
Thank you for the response to FDR. Learn something every day. As far as the original message--- Should I use the JB ver 0.11N and the ss ver 0.34N and try a reinstall? Note Kindle 3 with software ver 3.4
Should work with those settings. That's what I used on mine. back when I did it. Just ensure you match the correct installer to your serial code and you should be good to go... (the wrong ones will just grey out the UPDATE YOUR KINDLE button anyway so difficult to get that part wrong)

Good luck
Old 04-03-2013, 02:14 AM   #3057
Korri
Korri knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Korri knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Korri knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Korri knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Korri knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Korri knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Korri knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Korri knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Korri knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Korri knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Korri knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3
I just rehacked my kindle 3g and discovered the wonderfull cover hack, but it doesn't work for me :'(

I installed the ScreenSaver hack, removed the autoreboot file and added a cover file, covers seems to be correctly extracted from my ebooks as I can see them in the cover_cache folder, but when I lock my kindle, I only see a blank screen.

Please help me, this hack is all I ever wanted for my kindle.

Regards

Last edited by Korri; 04-03-2013 at 02:17 AM.
Korri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #3058
fonzie4msg
Connoisseur
fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3gb (3g)
hi guys

I want to establish a ssh-connection to my kindle.
I just installed usbnetworking an a k3gb and everything went fine. (really? for example: the run folder is empty...)
But now Iam not able to activate it.
When I write ";un" into the searchbar und press the small "Enter"-Button, it shows me that it found nothing ^^
After dropping a blank auto file into the usbnetwork folder, there was still no actviation sign of usbnetworking ...

(ifconfig usb0 ... prints me "no device found")

thanks in advance, Marco

Last edited by fonzie4msg; 04-04-2013 at 02:07 PM.
fonzie4msg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #3059
twobob

a 3 huh...

I don't recall if you needed to do the ~debugon thing first on there... but couldn't hurt to try.

Simplest thing to do to be CERTAIN would be install myts and then manually run it from the shell.

That's what I do these days.

myts + Launchpad -> type usbnetwork

Full thing I actually do is
Shift T T (my launchpad for Myts)
(type usbn and then Menu +z for inline conpletion)

Left top page button to exit.

so like about 7 buttons pushes.

give that a try
Old 04-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #3060
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie4msg View Post
hi guys

I want to establish a ssh-connection to my kindle.
I just installed usbnetworking an a k3gb and everything went fine. (really? for example: the run folder is empty...)
But now Iam not able to activate it.
When I write ";un" into the searchbar und press the small "Enter"-Button, it shows me that it found nothing ^^
After dropping a blank auto file into the usbnetwork folder, there was still no actviation sign of usbnetworking ...

(ifconfig usb0 ... prints me "no device found")

thanks in advance, Marco
Have cable disconnected when enabling / disabling USBnetworking.

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet