Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 08:17 AM   #1
georg3200
Connoisseur
georg3200 began at the beginning.

Device: none
open navigation-software with click on link in stanza?

Hi there,

our customers wants the following: I click on a link in an epub on the Iphone and the navigation-software on the Iphone opens with the coordinates of that link. The idea is to clink on a link in an epub in stanza and you can navigate to that point.

Does someone know if that ist possible? In the epub it would obviously be some sort of hypertext-link?!
Example: I click on a link skype://name..., and Skype opens on a PC.

Does some has an idea if there is something like that for navigation-software. Does Stanza has any kind of interface to do such voodoo?

Thanks
Georg
georg3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Ok, I tried this. I used Sigil to make a simple ePub, and put in an href of http://maps.google.com/ to the words "map here". Then I loaded it into Stanza.
If you select "maps here" (not easy, because Stanza tends to read presses as either page turns or access preferences), it will load the external link....but in an internal Stanza modified webkit browser, not Safari. (other iPhone apps do this as well-including RSS readers and Twitter clients). There is a "Safari" button to load it into Safari, but..uh..it added some odd text to the link, so not sure what is going on there.

I'm guessing a map location would work as well, but it does NOT open the Maps app, just the google maps page in a webkit browser still within Stanza.

Edit: Ok, I tried using the Google Maps coordinates link for The White House...it again opened google maps in the Stanza browser thing, and correctly loaded the satellite view of the White House. The title bar of the window was the Link name: The White House.
The Safari button still does not load it into Mobile Safari. Using the same link IN mobile Safari gives me the option to "Open in Google Maps" app, which is probably what you want it to do in the first place.

Last edited by kjk; 12-04-2009 at 12:18 AM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 04:52 AM   #3
georg3200
Connoisseur
georg3200 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I think a link to google maps will be the only solution that we can offer our customers. I'm not sure if they will like that it opens internally in Stanza?!

I hoped that there is a protocol like navito://... or nav://... that automatically opens the approbriate application.
Usually the webbrowser (safari, IE, firefox...) opens when you click on a link that starts with http://...
It would have been nice if you click a link that starts with navto://... and contains coordinates and automatically the navigation-software opens (navigon or TomTom or whatever) with the coordinates from the link.

We will try to implement the solution with the links to google maps coordinates.

Thanks for your help
georg3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by georg3200 View Post
I think a link to google maps will be the only solution that we can offer our customers. I'm not sure if they will like that it opens internally in Stanza?!

I hoped that there is a protocol like navito://... or nav://... that automatically opens the approbriate application.
Usually the webbrowser (safari, IE, firefox...) opens when you click on a link that starts with http://...
It would have been nice if you click a link that starts with navto://... and contains coordinates and automatically the navigation-software opens (navigon or TomTom or whatever) with the coordinates from the link.

We will try to implement the solution with the links to google maps coordinates.

Thanks for your help
You might want to send that suggestion to Lexcycle directly!
I've done some digging around, and I don't think any iPhone app can call on another iPhone app directly (unless you are Apple). They seem completely sandboxed. Would be something fun to play with on a jailbroken iPhone, I'm sure.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote