Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-23-2015, 09:48 PM   #1
M0rph3us
M0rph3us began at the beginning.

Device: None
Published Date will not change in metadata editor.

I'm running Calibre 2.27 and I'm having an issue with the "Published" field. I want to be able to sort all books by a particular author by date, but a few of my epub files don't contain a publishing date field. I can open the calendar pop-up in the metadata editor but no matter what date I set it defaults to the current month and year. I've tried this with several books and always get the same result. I've noticed that epub's that do contain the field also can't be changed. What is the problem here?

Is there some setting I'm missing that enables this action? It's very annoying to have 80% of my books sorted, then a few stragglers that refuse to cooperate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
M0rph3us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:56 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0rph3us View Post
I'm running Calibre 2.27 and I'm having an issue with the "Published" field. I want to be able to sort all books by a particular author by date, but a few of my epub files don't contain a publishing date field. I can open the calendar pop-up in the metadata editor but no matter what date I set it defaults to the current month and year. I've tried this with several books and always get the same result. I've noticed that epub's that do contain the field also can't be changed. What is the problem here?

Is there some setting I'm missing that enables this action? It's very annoying to have 80% of my books sorted, then a few stragglers that refuse to cooperate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
you must click (set) each: Year, then Month, Then Date,

You can't skip a click
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2015, 10:03 PM   #3
M0rph3us
M0rph3us began at the beginning.

Device: None
Ahh, that was it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
you must click (set) each: Year, then Month, Then Date,

You can't skip a click
Thanks mate! I didn't know the specific day of the month so I was just ignoring it. For some reason it didn't occur to me to pick a random date, lol.
M0rph3us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:08 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0rph3us View Post
Thanks mate! I didn't know the specific day of the month so I was just ignoring it. For some reason it didn't occur to me to pick a random date, lol.
There is also a tweak where you can control how the date is handled. For instance I have mine set to only show the year. This avoids having to enter detail that you are not interested in.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
There is also a tweak where you can control how the date is handled. For instance I have mine set to only show the year. This avoids having to enter detail that you are not interested in.
IIRC that tweak only affects the display / direct entry but Not IF you use the Calendar tool.
The Tool requires the 3 values
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2015, 01:56 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
IIRC that tweak only affects the display / direct entry but Not IF you use the Calendar tool.
The Tool requires the 3 values
Yes - but if you have restricted the date to the year one is unlikely to use the calendar tool as it much easier to type in the year from the keyboard.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote