Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
eosrose
Enthusiast
eosrose began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Battery dies overnight after new books added with calibre

A few months ago, I noticed that my ereader's battery was dying less than 24 hours after I'd hooked it up to my computer, even after I let it charge to 100%. I've determined that the battery quickly dies like this only after I've added new books to it. Once it dies, if I reconnect the reader to the computer and charge it without adding new books, the charge lasts just as long as it's supposed to.

I don't add books using anything other than calibre, so I'm not sure if this is a problem with the way calibre and my sony communicates or what. Could it be the fact that I use a calibre plugboard? Do I have too many files? Too many collection tags? Is anyone else having this same experience?

I'm tired enough of this mess that I'm hoping someone can give me some advice or at least tell me that it's not just a fluke with my device. It was working fine for months after I first got it.
eosrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosrose View Post
A few months ago, I noticed that my ereader's battery was dying less than 24 hours after I'd hooked it up to my computer, even after I let it charge to 100%. I've determined that the battery quickly dies like this only after I've added new books to it. Once it dies, if I reconnect the reader to the computer and charge it without adding new books, the charge lasts just as long as it's supposed to.

I don't add books using anything other than calibre, so I'm not sure if this is a problem with the way calibre and my sony communicates or what. Could it be the fact that I use a calibre plugboard? Do I have too many files? Too many collection tags? Is anyone else having this same experience?

I'm tired enough of this mess that I'm hoping someone can give me some advice or at least tell me that it's not just a fluke with my device. It was working fine for months after I first got it.
I experienced a similar thing a couple of times quite some time back (and a few others have reported the same thing in these forums) and suspected it was related to connection to the PC and/or Calibre.

I then made a habit of trying to remember to completely shut the reader down after loading books if I was not going to use it again in the next few hours and never had the problem again. But about the same time as I started doing that the T1 firmware update 1.0.05.11130 was released so I am unsure if that update fixed it or my turning the reader off did.

As I am not very religious in shutting the reader down and as it has been a long time since I have had, or anyone else has reported the problem, maybe it was the firmware or some other update that was the cure, not the shutting down?

Last edited by AnotherCat; 04-27-2013 at 10:34 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosrose View Post

How many books do you have on it and how many collection tags do you have? It can hold a couple thousand books but it does slow it down a bit but if each of those couple thousand books has multiple tags then I'd say yes, you have too many tags. Calibre makes a collection on the reader per tag so if 1 book has say, 3 tags, it'll show up in three collections. Unnecessary in my opinion but that could be what's killing your battery.

When you add books to the device it reindexes and if in my example above is what you have, multiple tags per book and thousands of books, then I'd say that's what's happening. You'd have to quantify how many books and how many collections and how many tags you have though.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:22 AM   #4
Skillganon
Connoisseur
Skillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony prs 600 and T2
I have a couple of thousand books on my T2, I only use Calibre on my netbook to load them down. I leave the reader in standby and never turn it off completely. The battery lasts weeks and I read a lot of books.
Skillganon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
I doubt it's the number of books... I suspect you have something running on your device in the background that is draining the battery... as already suggested ... power off/on or do a soft reset after adding books and always check the books you have added by opening them just in case you have a bad epub... the device will keep trying to load the cover to the books list like forever.. there doesn't seem to be any time-out
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is your T1 rooted?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
My restored-to-factory T1 was showing significant battery drain, with just 3 books loaded via Calibre. I deleted them and the 2 Calibre database files, and loaded a book on without Calibre. No battery drain since then, though I'll continue to check it. So maybe the database was messed up.

So I'd say that could be the problem, eosrose. Try deleting the calibre database files and just dragging some books onto the Sony.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
add books, battery drain, calibre