Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
maydayp
maydayp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
quotations changed to question marks

ok, so I converted a txt file to epub many times. I wouldn't have bothered as my kobo can read txt, but my kobo touch made all the lines break up. which make the book hard to read. when I converted it to epub all the " or ' got replaced with '?' when I loaded it onto my kobo. the last two times I converted it, all the " or ' marks completely disappeared (when loaded on the calibre reader, converted from pdf and txt).

any suggestions on how to stop the " or ' from disappearing?

just a little comment, I find it harder to read the book without any speech indication then when there are wierdly placed question marks.
maydayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....r-smart-quotes
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
maydayp
maydayp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
okay, so I've found the encoding style (thanks to open office), how/where do I indicate what encoding style, or what do I check off. I've very little experience with this.
maydayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
There are 2 ways I can think of:
  • On the Convert - Look&Feel page enter the correct encoding in the box labelled 'Input character encoding' as you do the conversion
  • Open the TXT file in a decent text editor (e.g. Notepad++ if you're a Windows user) and force the TXT to be converted to 'UTF-8' or 'UTF-8 without BOM' encoding (please don't ask me what the difference is ). Then reimport the TXT into Calibre for a standard conversion. It goes without saying that you should visually check that the quote characters look correct in the TXT file before reimporting to Calibre.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote