Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Lightbulb I always wondered what happened to Frodo's mithril mail shirt.

And you're thinking one of two things.
1) If you haven't read Lord of the Rings you're confused.
2) You're wondering that this has to do with the Touch.
Bear with me.
Spoiler:

Gandalf states "Bilbo had a corslet of mithril-rings that Thorin gave him. I wonder what has become of it? Gathering dust still in Michel Delving Mathom-house, I suppose.’
‘What?’ cried Gimli, startled out of his silence. ‘A corslet of Moria-silver? That was a kingly gift!’
‘Yes,’ said Gandalf. ‘I never told him, but its worth was greater than the value of the whole Shire and everything in it.’"

Later it was taken by the orcs. I had always wondered what happened to it. Was it ever returned to Frodo? Well somehow, in my previous two readings of the books over the last few decades I had not noticed what happened to it. Maybe I do read too fast.

So today I did a search on the word mithril in The Return of the King in the Touch. Something you can't do in a dead tree book.

And now I see it that had been displayed as a trophy by the Messenger of Sauron at the final confrontation whereupon Gandalf seized it and later returned it to Frodo after Frodo was rescued. Ahh, so nice that this dangling end was take care of. It's always bothered me. Just a little.

P.S. And now that I've reread the books I'm going to have a marathon Lord of the Rings video session over the weekend.

Last edited by TonyToews; 12-02-2011 at 12:42 AM.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Grrrrr, I was in the middle of reading the book for the first time.

The fellowship just made it to Lothloiren. Good thing I stopped reading your post so it did not spoil it for me.

Bad Tony go away
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Tony, please use spoiler codes because you are spoiling things for people who may not have read LoTR yet.

You can go back in and edit your message to fix things.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:07 PM   #4
plague006
plague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: kobo touch
A spoiler warning for an incredibly minor detail from a 50+ year old series of books? Hardly required.
plague006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:33 AM   #5
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Tony, please use spoiler codes because you are spoiling things for people who may not have read LoTR yet.

You can go back in and edit your message to fix things.
<whine> Well, it wasn't much of a spoiler. </whine> Spoiler alert added.
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 12:38 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
Tony; there is a [ spoiler ] / [ /spoiler ] set of tags.

Using it looks like
Spoiler:

this is how to use spoilers
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:43 AM   #7
TonyToews
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Tony; there is a [ spoiler ] / [ /spoiler ] set of tags.
Ahh, obviously I never knew that. Updated.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
Just because it's a fairly old series, that does not mean that everyone has read it. Those that have not can be spoiled and they may not be happy.

Thanks for fixing the spoiler.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #9
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
They filmed that scene for the Peter Jackson trilogy. Not sure if it got put into the extended edition in its entirety, but I think they do show some of it.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
I have the extended versions of all three movies. Now that I am finally reading the book (paper by the way) I am pleasantly surprised how the book is superior to the movies.

I also play the Lord of the Rings Online MMO by Turbine which follows the books not the movies. Tolkien created a wonderful world, I sometimes lose myself in
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #11
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
Yeah, I know. Believe it or not, they were planning on butchering the story even more than they did, but it got to be a bit much, even for them.

BTW, I've also been playing LOTRO for the last month or so. Very addictive!
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
I have the extended versions of all three movies. Now that I am finally reading the book (paper by the way) I am pleasantly surprised how the book is superior to the movies.
I still haven't forgiven Peter Jackson for

Spoiler:
making Faramir a jerk like his brother Boromir.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #13
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just because it's a fairly old series, that does not mean that everyone has read it. Those that have not can be spoiled and they may not be happy.

Thanks for fixing the spoiler.
The idea that it needed a spoiler tag is IMO ridiculous, particularly given the title of the thread. Just one look at the thread title would be enough of a warning for those who haven't read the books yet.

But for the sake of community we sometimes have to cater to the ridiculous.

The OP should've probably put the thread title in spoiler tags since it gives away part of the story.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:21 AM   #14
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I still haven't forgiven Peter Jackson for

Spoiler:
making Faramir a jerk like his brother Boromir.
I agree - Faramir was not depicted fairly! I enjoyed the series but that really bothered me.
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #15
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp View Post
I agree - Faramir was not depicted fairly! I enjoyed the series but that really bothered me.
Another agreement here. I'm still angry at them for that. Nearly as angry as I am at them for what they did with Gimli actually. Gimli son of Gloin is an experienced, noble, veteran warrior, more than capable of taking on a squad of orcs on his own and bragging about it afterward. In the books, he is awesome, in the literal sense of the word. In the movies he's comic relief. Unforgivable!

And strictly speaking,

Spoiler:
Boromir was not a jerk either. Both in the movies and in the books he is a noble and brave man, a well loved and respected leader, and of course a great warrior. But the Ring corrupts, and the better you are when you start out, the worse you get when it's done, and the higher your ambitions, the faster it happens. I actually liked the way the movies portray Boromir, making sure they showed his good side (joking with the hobbits, teaching them to use their swords, etc), before they let the Ring corrupt him.

EDIT:
And it's actually not obvious that this thread contains spoilers. I clicked on it fully expecting to see photos of a case inspired by the mithril shirt. Which by the way would be fantastic.

Last edited by ScalyFreak; 12-05-2011 at 03:54 PM. Reason: added comment
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote