Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #31
jswinden
Nameless Being

Don't forget that the K4 NT has half the battery capacity of the K3. A lighted cover might become an issue for some, though probably not for most of us.

As heavy as the K3 lighted cover is, I often wonder if it has a thin battery included in the back cover? Probably not as the K3 battery can power both the K3 and a light, but an extra battery capacity built into the case could be recharged as the K3 recharges (assuming the K3 is in the cover) and add a bit of extra run time. The extra weight might just simply be due to it being a larger and much heavier/sturdy built cover. The K3 cover will probably last a human generation whereas the K4 cover will hopefully last as long as I own the K4 but probably not much beyond that!

Last edited by jswinden; 11-06-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #32
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
The numbers Meme posted explains why separately the K3 and the lighted case feel very light, but together they feel remarkably "heavy". Double anything and you can feel the difference.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #33
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
The numbers Meme posted explains why separately the K3 and the lighted case feel very light, but together they feel remarkably "heavy". Double anything and you can feel the difference.
True! I love my K3, especially in the lighted cover. It looks and feels solid and classy. But with carpel tunnel syndrome it is way to uncomfortable to hold for very long. Even balancing the K3 in lighted cover on my midsection while reclining a bit is still pretty tiring as my wrist will begin to feel discomfort and my hand will go to sleep. Unfortunately the K3 and K4 are way too thin for me to comfortably hold without putting them in covers. BTW, I still have this issue with the K4, but it is substantially easier on my hand and wrist.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-06-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #34
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
True! I love my K3, especially in the lighted cover. It looks and feels solid and classy. But with carpel tunnel syndrome it is way to uncomfortable to hold for very long. Even balancing the K3 in lighted cover on my midsection while reclining a bit is still pretty tiring as my wrist will begin to feel discomfort and my hand will go to sleep. Unfortunately the K3 and K4 are way too thin for me to comfortably hold without putting them in covers. BTW, I still have this issue with the K4, but it is substantially easier on my hand and wrist.
Ow! Carpel tunnel is no fun. My husband's flairs up occasionally and he has to wear a brace for a few days. He is a software developer, so there's no escaping, really.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #35
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Ow! Carpel tunnel is no fun. My husband's flairs up occasionally and he has to wear a brace for a few days. He is a software developer, so there's no escaping, really.
I was a technical writer for two decades so I know how he must feel when it flairs up. I use a cheap cover I found for my K3 that doubles as a stand. I spend most of my reading time reading from the K3 in this stand/cover, but love the K4 for when I go out or want to sit someplace away from a desk or table.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k3-cover.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	353.2 KB
ID:	78696  
Advert
Old 11-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #36
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I was a technical writer for two decades so I know how he must feel when it flairs up. I use a cheap cover I found for my K3 that doubles as a stand. I spend most of my reading time reading from the K3 in this stand/cover, but love the K4 for when I go out or want to sit someplace away from a desk or table.

I have the same problem with holding the K3 but for me it's the whole arms beside wrists and hands. I saw the doc about it last week and he says there is nothing that can be done. I have to learn to live with it. I use this stand when it gets to much. It fits about everything from my phone, tablet and Readers.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #37
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
My leather cover just arrived and I have to say it is nice. Still keeps the Kindle very slim, but gives it a nice "professional feel". I love the new design how it just sinks into the case and stays there with no hinges or straps.

Also, as an added benefit, this works GREAT with my new Kandle II clip on light. In my other thread where I reviewed the light the only issue was how thin the Kindle was and not being able to clip the Kandle on securely enough to the top, well with the cover open and folded back, I clip the Kandle onto the top and it's solidly on there now. The extra thickness with the cover folded back gives it just enough so that you clip the light on more securely.

Bonus #2, the cover isn't so thick that I can't also still put the entire thing away in my travel case that I purchased originally. I picked up this Kobo touch travel case originally:

The Kindle with cover fits inside all snug and zipped away. I'm a happy camper.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #38
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
That's great! I love my Eco-Flip cover even though it's not a lighted case I can read hands free.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote