Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-25-2011, 05:18 AM   #1
wornways
wornways began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Update Kindle DX Software from 2.5.5 to 2.5.8?

I just realized that I have a slightly outdated version of my new Kindle DX software, however the instructions for updating the software do not coincide with the options available from my Kindle's "Settings" page.

Step 5, noted from Amazon's Kindle Update page, indicates that when I go to the Settings page, that there will be an option to "Update Your Kindle". However, no such option is there.

Is it for some reason not possible to update the Kindle DX???
wornways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by wornways View Post
I just realized that I have a slightly outdated version of my new Kindle DX software, however the instructions for updating the software do not coincide with the options available from my Kindle's "Settings" page.

Step 5, noted from Amazon's Kindle Update page, indicates that when I go to the Settings page, that there will be an option to "Update Your Kindle". However, no such option is there.

Is it for some reason not possible to update the Kindle DX???
Download the proper update from the Amazon website to your computer, then drop it into the root folder on your Kindle. Then Update Your Kindle should be visible.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 12:40 AM   #3
wornways

I'll try it again. I'm sure that this is exactly what I did before, but I'll try it again.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:46 AM   #4
wornways

Nope. Nothing pertaining to an update ever appears in the Settings page. It seems that there is no way to update the software on this device.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:01 AM   #5
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nope. Nothing pertaining to an update ever appears in the Settings page. It seems that there is no way to update the software on this device.
Are you sure you are using the correct update? Check here, and make sure your serial number corresponds to the update:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529740
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 06:25 AM   #6
AlexSno
Connoisseur
AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Well most of my friends who have done it didn't face any difficulties as far as i know.
AlexSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:55 AM   #7
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
Quote:
When your on the Settings page click on Menu. You should now see Update Your Kindle. If it is greyed out it means that no update is available.
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #8
montalex
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
When your on the Settings page click on Menu. You should now see Update Your Kindle. If it is greyed out it means that no update is available.
More accurately, if it is greyed-out, it means there is either no update.bin in the root Kindle folder, or that the one that is there is not the correct one. It does not mean that there is no update available.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:19 AM   #9
wornways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
This was my problem. Reading the instructions, by the way it was worded, I expected to see "Update Kindle" as one of the settings there on the Settings page, not a menu item. So when the instructions said, "Go Home, click Menu, Select Settings, Click Menu again," I read it as "Select Settings and Click Menu Again" in order to access the Settings page. I did not read it as "Select Settings, then once you are on the Settings page click Menu again and Select "Update Your Kindle".

So, I never clicked Menu a second time. Once I did that, and from the Settings page, it became obvious. A sensible programmer would have put the Update Your Kindle feature there on the Settings page somewhere so you could see it instantly when you loaded the Settings page.