Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-25-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
Rolando
Rolando began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle
Problem with 'Send to Device'

I just used the 'Send to Device' command to send some books to Kindle, but I'm not happy with the results. I'm wondering if I did something wrong in the process.

First, I did a bulk convert of all the books to Mobi, then checked to make sure that the conversion had worked and I had MOBI versions of all the books. I then used 'Send to Device' to send the books to the Kindle.

My problem is that Calibre sent some of the books to the Kindle as PDF files, which are awkward to read on the Kindle. It also sent some of the files as text, but they're usable.

My question is why did Calibre send files to the Kindle as PDF or txt files when Mobi versions were available?
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:23 AM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
The Kindle accepts several file types so you have to specify which types you want to send
You can use the drop down menu
-OR-
you can configure the kindle plugin for file types
Preferences->plugins->device interface plugins
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #3
Rolando

How do you specify what file you want to send? Under 'Send to device', 'Send specific format', the only choice available is 'Main Memory' (the grayed out choices are 'Memory Card A' and 'Memory Card B'. There's nothing about any formats like mobi, pdf, or text, etc.

I looked at the device interface plugins in Preferences, but couldn't make head or tails what to do with that.

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you go to the Relevant device interface plugin and select the option to customise the plugin, then you will see a list of formats that can be sent. You can select which of these formats should actually be sent, and you can also put them into a priority order for the cases where more than one suitable format exists.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
How do you specify what file you want to send? Under 'Send to device', 'Send specific format', the only choice available is 'Main Memory' (the grayed out choices are 'Memory Card A' and 'Memory Card B'. There's nothing about any formats like mobi, pdf, or text, etc.
If you actually select the 'Send to device' - 'Send specific format' - 'Main Memory' option the next thing that happens is a list of formats comes up and you can select MOBI from it.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
Rolando

Thanks, Jackie, now I see how it works, but it's not very intuitive. It's a hierarchical menu, the list of formats should appear as a sub-menu of 'Main Memory', if nothing else. I guess I just don't understand the thinking. I couldn't understand why choosing 'Send specific format' showed me no formats to pick. Is it possible to send Kovid suggestions?
Old 10-28-2010, 12:34 PM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is very rare to want to send a specific format. Normally you configure the device plugin to your preference order for supported formats and let Calibre automatically pick the highest priority one that is available
Old 10-28-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I've changed the text to read:

Send specific format to
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
Rolando

Speaking of formats, I see that Kindle can use mobi or text files. In converting an ePub file to read on the Kindle, is there a rationale for picking one versus the another?
Old 10-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #10
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
Speaking of formats, I see that Kindle can use mobi or text files. In converting an ePub file to read on the Kindle, is there a rationale for picking one versus the another?
Text files never have any formatting. If you want any formatting such as font styles, different fonts, justification, etc then you should use Mobi.