Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 02:02 AM   #1
Jimbo724
Connoisseur
Jimbo724 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Simplified Cataloging of Authors?

It's great to be able to generate a catalog of our books. Perhaps I have too many books, but I find the listing of authors less than optimal. When I view the catalog in Calibre and expand the Authors section of the TOC on the left, I see a bunch of entries, on the left, of the form "Authors beginning with A," ... "Authors beginning with Z." I would greatly prefer to see the actual names on the left.

When I click on an entry like "Authors beginning with A," the window on the right gives me a lot more than just the author names. I also see titles and series. There, or somewhere, I would like to see just the author names.

I don't mean to suggest there is anything wrong with the authors, series, and titles being shown together on the right. I guess what I'd like to suggest is the ability, somewhere, to see a list of the author names and nothing more, with the ability to view an author's works by clicking on the author's name. Am I missing something?

Last edited by Jimbo724; 01-14-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Jimbo724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:58 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo724 View Post
It's great to be able to generate a catalog of our books. Perhaps I have too many books, but I find the listing of authors less than optimal. When I view the catalog in Calibre and expand the Authors section of the TOC on the left, I see a bunch of entries, on the left, of the form "Authors beginning with A," ... "Authors beginning with Z." I would greatly prefer to see the actual names on the left.

When I click on an entry like "Authors beginning with A," the window on the right gives me a lot more than just the author names. I also see titles and series. There, or somewhere, I would like to see just the author names.

I don't mean to suggest there is anything wrong with the authors, series, and titles being shown together on the right. I guess what I'd like to suggest is the ability, somewhere, to see a list of the author names and nothing more, with the ability to view an author's works by clicking on the author's name. Am I missing something?
Go read the Help pages (CLI section) on: calibredb.exe list
You can have as much or little as you want in a simple 'list' (text or CSV) file
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:05 AM   #3
Jimbo724
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Go read the Help pages (CLI section) on: calibredb.exe list
Thanks.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:54 AM   #4
Jimbo724
Connoisseur

After playing around with calibredb, I still end up with a list about 4000 lines long and with each author's name appearing, after unique id numbers, as many times as I have books by that author in my library. Not too useful. Maybe (probably) I'm missing something, but is there some way to generate a simple list of authors in my library, each author's name appearing only once in the list?
Old 01-16-2013, 01:29 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre-debug -c "from calibre.library import db; print '\n'.join(x[1] for x in db().all_authors())"

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 01-16-2013 at 01:35 AM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:51 AM   #6
Jimbo724
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre-debug -c "from calibre.library import db; print '\n'.join(x[1] for x in db().all_authors())"
Now THAT's amazing! And it worked, too.

Thanks!