Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #136
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Here's what's really annoying. I've been waiting for a long time for Perry Mason books to become available, and they finally are, but only like 9 out of more than 80. I just finished the first, "The Case of the Velvet Claws" and I really enjoyed it, but the next one available is not until #5. What a pain. I just don't understand why it's like that.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #137
yoho
Banned
yoho began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Of course. Owning an ebook reader doesn't prevent one from reading paper books.
yes, different experiences.
yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #138
SonDan1
Connoisseur
SonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it is

Device: Nook 1, Aluratek Libre Pro,Kobo Wi-Fi, Samsung Galaxy Tab, KoboT, NST
Quote:
Of course. Owning an ebook reader doesn't prevent one from reading paper books.
I thought that an Ereader would help me cut down on some of the books cluttering my home but I was wrong. The books I want to read *are* usually available in digital format, but *my problem* is that the cost is WAY TO HIGH!

For instance I would love to go digital and finish the Kathy Reichs "Bones" series I began reading, but not when the digital book cost more than the paperback both new and/or used.

I would love to read the rest of the J.A. Jance Detective J.P. Beaumont series on any of my Ereaders as well -- but not when the ebook costs more than a paperback new and/or used.

I would love to read the latest Nora Roberts book in digital format -- but right now even some of her older books I want to read cost 12.99 for the ebook which is absolutely ridiculous!
SonDan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #139
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonDan1 View Post
I would love to read the latest Nora Roberts book in digital format -- but right now even some of her older books I want to read cost 12.99 for the ebook which is absolutely ridiculous!
I hear you. Do you have a public library that lends e-books? I've found I can borrow books for 1-3 weeks for free and that helps a lot. I borrowed a few books of Nora Roberts and that has helped.

Aside from the few books I bought when I bought my first e-reader, I don't buy many e-books because the cost is quite unreasonable for my budget for older books.

I am lucky that I happen to like a lot of the books that are for free (public domain plain vanilla books) and use calibre to create custom magazines for me to read, to help keep the overall cost of what I read way down.

I had a chuckle yesterday when I was in the Library and saw the discard sale. Hardcover discards are 50c and soft covers are 25c. Among them was "Smokin Seventeen" for fifty cents. Hard to go to the e-book store and pay $14 for the same thing after buying that!
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #140
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've just plain forgotten a number of books that I wanted to read, that never became ebooks. Their loss.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #141
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Among them was "Smokin Seventeen" for fifty cents. Hard to go to the e-book store and pay $14 for the same thing after buying that!
Is it really that expensive? In the UK Kindle Store it costs £4.99 (about $7).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #142
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
It recently dropped to $10 something because the MMPB for the next book was released this week. All the other backlist books in the series are $12 (in Canada anyway).

Last edited by Synamon; 05-18-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #143
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
They all seem to be £4.99 here - probably a different publisher. I notice, though, that eBooks only seems to be available for #7 in the series, onwards. Are the earlier ones available in the US?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #144
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
well, the kobo store here says $8.99 cdn plus tax which would still bring it to above ten dollars. Price has gone down since i last looked at the price. My personal price point is about 7 dollars canadian and I'd have to be really desperate for even that, because I already own lots of books.

Anyway, my policy these days is 'wait'. There are all kinds of titles i've found at library discard sales, and/or yard sales.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #145
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Yes, the whole series is available in the US/Canada. She's switched publishers a few times, the early ones you don't have are Simon & Schuster, 7-16 are MacMillan, and now she's with Random House.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #146
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I always (except for books where images/illustrations are important) prefer to read an ebook. That is less important to me then cost though. For a book I want to own, something I will read more than once I will pay a premium for ebook, but not an excessive one. Otherwise my first choice is to find it through my library, and if that mean in paper that's fine with me.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:10 AM   #147
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
The most frustrating thing for me is when I love a multi-volume series... and yay, it's available as an e-book! ... EXCEPT FOR ONE VOLUME.

This is true of John Crowley's Aegypt/Endless Things tetralogy and Pat Barker's Regeneration trilogy (to name the two that really irk me).

To me, this is insane marketing. Why leave out a volume? I for one refuse to buy any e-books in a series if that series is not available in full... and I can't be alone in this. Why, why, why??? *headdesk*
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:05 AM   #148
rooster3888
rooster3888 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamekke View Post
The most frustrating thing for me is when I love a multi-volume series... and yay, it's available as an e-book! ... EXCEPT FOR ONE VOLUME.
I couldn't agree more. And it always seems to be some random volume in the middle of the series, for some reason. I ran into that problem with F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack series on Amazon. Some of his older novels in the series weren't available anyway, which was okay, so I skipped ahead to the newer ones and picked up the series there. But then I read four and suddenly... one was missing! They had like the four books before it, and the four after.

Oddly, I'd given up on it, then found that Apple's ebook store carried it for some reason.
rooster3888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #149
SonDan1
Connoisseur
SonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it is

Device: Nook 1, Aluratek Libre Pro,Kobo Wi-Fi, Samsung Galaxy Tab, KoboT, NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I hear you. Do you have a public library that lends e-books? I've found I can borrow books for 1-3 weeks for free and that helps a lot. I borrowed a few books of Nora Roberts and that has helped.

Aside from the few books I bought when I bought my first e-reader, I don't buy many e-books because the cost is quite unreasonable for my budget for older books.

I am lucky that I happen to like a lot of the books that are for free (public domain plain vanilla books) and use calibre to create custom magazines for me to read, to help keep the overall cost of what I read way down.
Thank you Spindlegirl! You bring up a great alternative I totally forgot about! I need to put my library card to use and start borrowing some of the new books in the series I have on my "to read" list since their ebook prices are just too prohibitive for me.

I guess I was so spoiled in that I always bought my pbooks because it was more convenient than putting up with the traffic to go to my local lending libray.

I too have literally hundred of PD ebooks that I read. I have re-read many of the classics and love some of the freebies by "new" authors at Smashwords.

But, I still have a weak spot and need to keep up with Kathy Reichs, Nora Roberts and J.A. Jance Plus there are new releases that make the NY Times Best seller list that I want to read, but don't want spend $15.99 for the preferable ebook format.

I plan to also start going back tto my local used book store here where paperbacks are all half off the cover price. Guess pbooks will always be a part of my reading life after all even though I own a variety of ereaders.

Que Sera Sera
SonDan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:00 AM   #150
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
with my vision problems now if it is not an ebook then I just can not read it. I need a large font. Large print books are very limited and bulky to handle. Having MS my hands are weak as well so again annoying. Audio books never they drive me insane. I read very fast and I want to strangle those people reading the books hehehe.

I had 2 huge boxes of paper backs I had been drooling over for years wanting to read but just could not. I stopped adding to them 2 years ago. Now I am starting to get them as ebooks.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote