Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-25-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Australians should have received a wall charger

According to Amazon's International page for ordering:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...H13NHTV6CK3661

All kindles are supposed to be shipped with a charger (US pins). Further, they claim you do not need a computer to use the kindle.

Wrong on both counts!
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
According to Amazon's International page for ordering:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...H13NHTV6CK3661

All kindles are supposed to be shipped with a charger (US pins). Further, they claim you do not need a computer to use the kindle.

Wrong on both counts!
Have you contacted Amazon and asked them to correct this issue? It does sound like false advertising in your case and you should them make it right.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Complain to Amazon if you didn't get a charger. It's listed as being in the box. I would bet that you had the misfortune of getting a Kindle that got by their quality control. I seriously doubt that this happened deliberately.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

None of the Australians received one, which is why there are a couple of threads on this forum saying how difficult it is to charge the kindle. Because Australian wall USB wall chargers (and even the iphone chargers) actually render the kindle useless. The only way to charge them is to put the USB through a computer, but I dont carry one when I travel.

I rang Amazon from Australia on Saturday, (ouch$$$) and they knew we didnt get a charger but they didnt realise our chargers dont work! Maybe I was the first one to call them.

I have also now contacted their kindle support line quoting their own website, and have also put this on the Amazon community forum (which is on the amazon site) so am planning for this to be fixed or I will get really cranky!
Old 10-25-2009, 08:37 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You may want to return the Kindle since you're still within your 30 day window. If they correct the problem and you're still interested in the Kindle, you can buy another one.

I hope that they are working on the problem and at some future date (soon) be able to send all purchasers in Australia a working wall charger.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
Pushka
Wizard

I now see that on the Australian site it says it only ships with the cable. And it then says if you want to find out more about the Kindle, then read the Promos on the main International site. Which is where it says that you dont need a PC to use a kindle. Except in Australia, we do - simply in order to charge the thing.

Obviously Amazon presumed that our wall USB chargers would charge the kindle; I have three USB chargers, and none of them will charge the kindle, yet they work perfectly with the iphone, mp3 player and my camera.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:34 PM   #7
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Weren't the first of the International Kindles sold without an AC adapter (when the price was $279US) and since the price drop to $259 there are no longer US and International Kindles, they are just Amazon Kindle 2, so from now on when buying you will get a charger. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that be to the case.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:51 PM   #8
toholio
toholio will become famous soon enoughtoholio will become famous soon enoughtoholio will become famous soon enoughtoholio will become famous soon enoughtoholio will become famous soon enoughtoholio will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, BeBook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that be to the case.
All international Kindles except those shipped to Australia came with a charger.

You can't ship devices, at least not in bulk quantities, that have foreign power connectors into Australia. This is why we didn't get mains chargers, not the voltage or some other reason as some are erroneously suggesting.

If you have a US Kindle charger here it will work fine with an adapter.
toholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:56 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by toholio View Post
All international Kindles except those shipped to Australia came with a charger.

You can't ship devices, at least not in bulk quantities, that have foreign power connectors into Australia. This is why we didn't get mains chargers, not the voltage or some other reason as some are erroneously suggesting.

So what happens with things like computers and cell phones or any electronic device not manufactured in Australia?

Maybe folks who didn't get a charger and order it separately and have it sent to them (more money but at least you'll have a wall charger).
Old 10-25-2009, 11:07 PM   #10
Pushka
Wizard

Quote:

So Amazon were too stingy to make a charger version that could suit any other country. Apple did it with the iphone - that came with its own charger where you clicked this button and replaced it with the pin for your country. Pins for every country were provided.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:30 PM   #11
toholio
toholio will become famous soon enoughtoholio will become famous soon enoughtoholio will become famous soon enoughtoholio will become famous soon enoughtoholio will become famous soon enoughtoholio will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, BeBook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
So what happens with things like computers and cell phones or any electronic device not manufactured in Australia?
We get Australian plugs. Just as people in the U.S. get U.S. plugs and people in the U.K. get U.K. plugs. The only time you should need an adapter is when travelling.

Just about everything these days has a power supply which will accept worldwide voltages. Just make one with the correct pins and you're ready to sell it overseas. The Kindle's wall charger is no exception to this. It will work with international voltages but Amazon haven't had them made with international pins yet.

Quote:
So Amazon were too stingy to make a charger version that could suit any other country.
I very much doubt it was stinginess. It's just another side effect of the international launch of the Kindle being rushed. If they'd not had to rush to ship a day before the Nook launched it wouldn't have been such a mess. We would at least have had a press conference and a few local telco partners for bigger markets.
toholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:40 AM   #12
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
So Amazon were too stingy to make a charger version that could suit any other country. Apple did it with the iphone - that came with its own charger where you clicked this button and replaced it with the pin for your country. Pins for every country were provided.
The recent iPhones come with wall adaptor but I remember all the early iPods I bought didn't come with one.

I don't think you can fault Amazon for this... they made it quite clear on the Australian Kindle page "Your Kindle shipment does not include a U.S. power adapter. Kindle ships with a micro-USB cable for charging your Kindle via a computer USB port." Anyone who didn't read the prominently placed 'Important Information' has only themselves to blame. That said, you can always return your Kindle in the 30 day period.

It may have been a rushed release but I'm happier to have received my Kindle early than to have been forced to wait weeks for them to sort out a mains adaptor.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:49 AM   #13
Pushka
Wizard

Success, four wall chargers later and I have found one that works and doesn't seize up the kindle. It is Digitor travel, cost $39.95 but reduced to $29.95 at Dick Smiths, and it also charges up the iphone too! Yay.

When I read that it only came with a USB charger cord, that still doesnt explain why many Australian USB wall chargers wont work with it. I just assumed (and there was nothing to say otherwise) that I could plug the USB drive into any USB wall chargers and it would work. There was nothing on the Amazon website to suggest there were going to be any problems in doing this. And for some reason, the USB ports on my laptop wont charge it either - I had to use someone else's computer. Yet those same USB ports work fine with the iphone.

Quote:
I very much doubt it was stinginess. It's just another side effect of the international launch of the Kindle being rushed. If they'd not had to rush to ship a day before the Nook launched it wouldn't have been such a mess. We would at least have had a press conference and a few local telco partners for bigger markets.
Well, trying to beat competitors to the market at the expense of the consumer is not exactly praiseworthy.

I think they should have waited until the mains adapter had been sorted out, would have saved me a very expensive phone call to the US on Saturday as the Kindle had seized up! And having waited for many months for its release, what difference would a few weeks have made?

I just think that Amazon should have done this a lot better.

Last edited by Pushka; 10-26-2009 at 01:57 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:26 AM   #14
psychotic_chimp
psychotic_chimp began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
I bought a US kindle which doent hav whispernet in australia...bugger...but it came wi a usb adaptor tht does work here....I agree amazon should hav sent one wi th aussie kindle I ended up buying...if it wasnt such a great product I wld b v annoyed...will b contacting thm...tho
psychotic_chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #15
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychotic_chimp View Post
I bought a US kindle which doent hav whispernet in australia...bugger...but it came wi a usb adaptor tht does work here....I agree amazon should hav sent one wi th aussie kindle I ended up buying...if it wasnt such a great product I wld b v annoyed...will b contacting thm...tho
oh no!!!! the vowels have fallen off the island!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote