Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 01-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Question about navigating through large books

Ok, so I've decided I want to purchase a Pocket Pro. I have a question about navigating in large books. In particular, I'm thinking about purchasing a Bible, either NIV or NLT. I've seen some online, but I've also seen reviews where people have said it's difficult to navigate. I'm not concerned with being able to go to a specific verse as it would be easy enough to skim through a chapter until I find the verse I want, but it would be very helpful to be able to easily navigate to a specific book and chapter (especially in a church setting where I'd want to find a passage fairly quickly). Is that possible with ebook readers? Is there one format that is better than others for this? Or is this not really a possibility yet on ebook readers?

Thanks.
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Others will probably provide more info than I can, but books can have a table of contents, so make sure the Bible you get has a detailed TOC. You can bring up the TOC and select where you want to go.

You can also search, but I find entering search terms without a proper keyboard painfull.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Others will probably provide more info than I can, but books can have a table of contents, so make sure the Bible you get has a detailed TOC. You can bring up the TOC and select where you want to go.

You can also search, but I find entering search terms without a proper keyboard painfull.
Painful? It hurts more than RobertB's knee does.

You have to press the keys just fast enough. My cheapo Cell is easier to use TAP (but not much).

OK, I am challenged
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I suggest using the ePub format. It has a multi-level table of contents capability, which is good for fast navigation. However, this depends on the ePub in question having a good TOC.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Ok, thank you for the info! This gives me another question... how would I know ahead of time what kind of table of contents a book has? Is there someplace here on the forums where I can find out about the specific format of different books?

Thanks!
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 11:58 PM   #6
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
Ok, thank you for the info! This gives me another question... how would I know ahead of time what kind of table of contents a book has? Is there someplace here on the forums where I can find out about the specific format of different books?

Thanks!
I presume you want to know ahead of time, because you are buying it, and it isn't cheap? In that case, I'd be asking the vendor what it has, and maybe ask them to send you a copy of the TOC listing.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:06 AM   #7
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
You could certainly try to search for a review of the book here. And hope that there is some information about the TOC in the reviesw. Or search on the net. Also check out the description in the (web)store. Ask the publisher (who knows, they might answer) or ask on a forum dedicated for the publisher or the author.

Start with the assumption that the TOC is non-existant or very rudimentary. And that that assumption MIGHT be wrong. If the TOC is very good, then that should be an important selling point that the publisher most likely advertise in the webstore.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:11 AM   #8
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

jusmee, yes, I would like to know before purchasing the book if it will be easy to navigate. If it's too difficult to navigate, I'd rather save my money until such time as a better option becomes available to buy.

Adoby, thank you for the recommendation of looking for a forum dedicated to the publisher. I've emailed one publisher to ask them this question about a particular download, but have yet to hear back. Hopefully I'll hear sometime this week.

Thank you all for your suggestions! You've given me a better idea as to how to search online for what I'm looking for.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:11 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
how would I know ahead of time what kind of table of contents a book has?
If there is a free sample, it almost always includes the TOC. An example of a 3-level TOC is here. See the attached screenshot for what this looks like using Desktop Adobe Digital Editions. If you buy an Adobe ePub today you can view it now using ADE and later using a Pocket Pro (or many other EInk readers). I don't have a recent image of the Pocket Pro on a TOC, but see here for a scan of a TOC from a PDF on a PocketBook.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TOC3_ADE.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	43356  
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #10
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Wallcraft, thank you for the links! I think what I'm finding is that there is not an NIV that is easily navigatable on ebook readers. When I get my Pocket Pro I will download the KJV that is available on this site, and see how that works. Hopefully something will come available commercially at some point, if there is enough demand for it. I wouldn't even try putting it together myself for my own use. When it comes to things like that, I'm completely technically illiterate.