Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-04-2009, 11:53 PM   #61
DaveNB
Connoisseur
DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770 (FBReader)
It's rumored to have a fully functional web browser as well. Wonder what price point it'll hit?
Dave
DaveNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:53 PM   #62
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNB View Post
These could be totally fake but here are some supposedly leaked pics.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/04/a...-inch-display/

9.7" screen with native PDF support/rendering. Very interesting is the side by side picture comparing the current Kindle 2 with the "Big Kindle" (Kindle XL?). Looks like almost 2x the screen real estate.

Dave
I vote real. they look like amazon mockups. that's probably a preview to the presentation they will make on wednesday
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2009, 03:35 AM   #63
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
These device will be of trivial value to students unless it is possible to not only view pages from multiple books at the same time but also switch between open books constantly. It's nothing to have 5-6 books open all at once and refer between them constantly for hours on end.

And yeah, the ability to do crosswords on the device is mandatory also. Other makers can go pound sand with their sudoku junk.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:09 AM   #64
scveteran
Groupie
scveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
I think the Kindle (as you say, in large format) has huge potential as a textbook reader. I would've loved one of those, when I was in school (although a current Kindle would've probably worked out fine for me, as I was an English major, and carried around a lot of paperback literature, anyway).

It's always possible, I suppose, that Amazon has made such advances with the Kindle's design that on Wednesday they'll announce a color, touchscreen, Flash-capable, stylus-ready, SD-card slotted Kindle. If they did that, I'd sell my Kindle 1 and get one. I think that's the only thing that would convince me to buy a large format device. And even then, it would have to be < $400 for me to justify the expenditure.
You mean that it can only cost an extra $40 or less for all that? I doubt that will happen.
scveteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:13 AM   #65
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
How much is this 9.7inch version going to cost?. The 6inch K2 is already overpriced compared to others in the market. Can't cost more than the Iliad surely?
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2009, 04:56 AM   #66
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
How much is this 9.7inch version going to cost?. The 6inch K2 is already overpriced compared to others in the market. Can't cost more than the Iliad surely?
The others on the market don't come with free wireless or access to all the books Kindle has. You can't really say it's overpriced.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:13 AM   #67
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
The screen on the Kindle DX will be about the size of the entire Kindle 2, maybe a smidgen larger. Extrapolating along the lines of the top photo in the article you referenced, that would seem to indicate a 10x7 height/width. This is about the size of a trade paperback comic book.
A 9.7" Visplex screen is 8" by 5.5" (203 by 140 mm), and 1200 x 825 pixels, see High Resolution Displays. As you say, this is very close to the overall size of the Kindle 2 (8" by 5.3").
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:30 AM   #68
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Engadget has more info up, including pictures and a mention of PDF support. Here's hoping that it trickles down to us K1/2 users and isn't kept as a K3 selling point.

carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #69
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by scveteran View Post
You mean that it can only cost an extra $40 or less for all that? I doubt that will happen.
I'm almost certain it won't. (I hesitate to say that it can't, because from what I've read, they're making a pretty healthy profit on the Kindles, but there's no reason to think they'd suddenly want to slice into that).

I only bought my Kindle back in March, from Ebay. For me to justify upgrading at this point, $400 is all I could justify. I realize that the reality is they'd be able to charge much more for such a device, and I'd really want one, of course, but I'd probably end up doing the same thing again and getting it second-hand.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #70
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
On a separate point, Gizmodo reported that the new Kindle will have the ability to add annotations (in a new way, I'd imagine), and has suggested that this means a touchscreen. Looking at the pictures, though, the 5-way navigator is still clearly visible. I know it's not impossible for the two to coexist, but does anyone else think it would be strange to keep the 5-way navigator if the hardware supports a touchscreen?
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #71
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
The Engadget article says it has: " a long-requested built-in PDF reader," which sounds like PDF support to me (yay!) and also "the ability to add annotations in addition to notes and highlights -- whatever that means"

Tags, maybe?
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:07 AM   #72
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
Gizmodo reported that the new Kindle will have the ability to add annotations
I agree that a touchscreen is unlikely, since it would do away with the need for the keyboard as well as the 5-way. Could annotations just be notes that are merged into the PDF?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #73
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Just 24 more hours!!!
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #74
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Have you seen how many cool mobile phones are released in Asia and Europe and never make it to the US? It's pretty common for products to be marketed in some countries and not others. It's also common for them to release first in one market before the company expands. Amazon has already said they're trying to get a good enough catalog in the EU to launch.
There is a reason for this. US providers demand that functionality on the phone be restricted and for example Nokia refuse to do this.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:06 AM   #75
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Engadget has more info up, including pictures and a mention of PDF support. Here's hoping that it trickles down to us K1/2 users and isn't kept as a K3 selling point.

Looks like a super-stretched limo to me
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
formats, kindle, pdf