Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-19-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
Nola_Gal
Nola_Gal began at the beginning.

Device: laptop; blackberry
"Unexpected Error" - Won't Open Books

Hi everyone,

Let me start by saying that I have been enjoying my Kindle a lot and reading more than I have in years.

I am in the middle of a book and when I picked it up this evening and tried to open it to read, it gave me the "Unexpected Error" message. I've been reading this mobi book for several days so I wouldn't think it's a format issue. Also, I can't seem to open some of the Amazon sample books either.

Has anyone encountered this before? Thanks in advance.
Nola_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola_Gal View Post
Hi everyone,

Let me start by saying that I have been enjoying my Kindle a lot and reading more than I have in years.

I am in the middle of a book and when I picked it up this evening and tried to open it to read, it gave me the "Unexpected Error" message. I've been reading this mobi book for several days so I wouldn't think it's a format issue. Also, I can't seem to open some of the Amazon sample books either.

Has anyone encountered this before? Thanks in advance.
Call Kindle Support. They are very good at walking you thru things like this.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2008, 09:36 PM   #3
Nola_Gal

Thanks!! That was great advice! I just spent about 20 minutes on the phone with a very polite young man who got it fixed! Yea!
Old 12-20-2008, 12:43 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Thanks!! That was great advice! I just spent about 20 minutes on the phone with a very polite young man who got it fixed! Yea!
Just curious. What was the fix? Reset the reader?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:09 AM   #5
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
I have not been able to use my Kinde for four days as I have been getting the *unexpected error* message, and as I live in Australia and don't have Whispernet etc., am unable to 'phone Amazon and get it rectified.
How do I feel?? Bereft, just about sums it up.
Cannot use my iPaq for reading as the SIM card is in the iPhone my husband gave me for my birthday (which is today incidentally) so cannot read all of the lovely new books I bought at Mobipocket.
Do I feel sorry for myself?? You bet I am.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2008, 05:29 PM   #6
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
I have managed to figure out the Mobidedrmv5(which works like a charm) and have also reset my Kindle, but the *unexpected error* still comes up after a few pages of reading.
Is it possible for someone to inform me what other changes are required to be able to read on the Kindle - otherwise it's just going to become a very expensive door-stop, and having bought the Avantgard cover for it it seems a shame to have to do that.
C'mon, be a devil.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:56 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post
I have not been able to use my Kinde for four days as I have been getting the *unexpected error* message, and as I live in Australia and don't have Whispernet etc., am unable to 'phone Amazon and get it rectified.
How do I feel?? Bereft, just about sums it up.
Cannot use my iPaq for reading as the SIM card is in the iPhone my husband gave me for my birthday (which is today incidentally) so cannot read all of the lovely new books I bought at Mobipocket.
Do I feel sorry for myself?? You bet I am.
Nohmi, there is a support number for outside the states......I will go find it and post!
Old 12-20-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Kindle Support

Outside the US.............

International customers can reach us at 1-206-266-0927

Good Luck!
Old 12-20-2008, 05:59 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Yea!
Old 12-20-2008, 09:09 PM   #10
Nola_Gal

He had me reset it and then do something to basically reload the firmware I think. I know in the process I had to delete my library and then he automatically restored the Amazon content for me.

He warned about 'other formats' sometimes causing problems. I haven't used Modidedrm but I did have non-Amazon mobi books loaded. It kind of stinks if the other mobi files could cause this problem but I don't have much invested in those formats so for now, I'll be reading my Amazon stuff...
Old 12-20-2008, 11:26 PM   #11
nohmi2
Pensively observing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Outside the US.............

International customers can reach us at 1-206-266-0927

Good Luck!
Many, many thanks. I'll 'phone with Skype and let you know how I get on.

Still have not 'phoned. Not because I don't want to, but have bronchitis and sound as if I have eaten a plateful of gravel!! Would Amazon have taken me seriously between coughs and sneezes? I very much doubt it.

I am going to gird my loins(?) get better, compose myself and then take on the forces of of explaining why I haven't registered etc.

Grr!!

Last edited by nohmi2; 12-21-2008 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Action on Hold!!!
Old 12-27-2008, 05:46 AM   #12
nohmi2
Pensively observing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post
Many, many thanks. I'll 'phone with Skype and let you know how I get on.

Still have not 'phoned. Not because I don't want to, but have bronchitis and sound as if I have eaten a plateful of gravel!! Would Amazon have taken me seriously between coughs and sneezes? I very much doubt it.

I am going to gird my loins(?) get better, compose myself and then take on the forces of of explaining why I haven't registered etc.

Grr!!
Right. I have registered and Leep(who should be sanctified) is trying to help me over the hurdles.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:00 AM   #13
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Yay! I know that technology that doesn't work as advertised is a huge aggravation!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:07 AM   #14
nohmi2
Pensively observing.

I have found that one always seems to get a helping hand at Mobileread.
I also completely agree with desertgran about the Kindle. I love mine, even though it gives me strife.
I also want a clone of Leep who has solved my problem. For sheer doggednes and patience
a gong should presented to Leep.
I am so grateful.

Last edited by nohmi2; 12-29-2008 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Second thoughts.