Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #46
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Thanks GeoffR, I've been staring at the two documents for so long that I just couldn't see it! I originally thought it was the 2nd value to be changed, when eventually I realised it was the 3rd, I copied and pasted from the original document and started again, but obviously something went wrong.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #47
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@Lyn2012,

Quite a few of those 'second values' in your attachment were incorrect. Not just the line 167 you referred to. Hopefully you found a completely clean source to start again.

Last edited by jackie_w; 10-07-2014 at 12:36 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #48
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzir View Post
I've tried multiple books and dozens of pages and there is always room for at least one more line of text and most pages have room for two.

Thanks for looking into this anyway, maybe I'll just turn the footer off until Koreader or Coolreader are working on the H2O.
You might to check the book for margins and other style elements that can cause extra blank space. For instance, if the widows/orphans settings are at their default of 2, a single line at the bottom or top of a page will trigger moving a line to keep a minimum of two lines together. The wide spacing between paragraphs in quite a few ebooks can also cause similar issues which was the reason I picked two samples that broke inside a paragraph.

Even with manual editing, choosing minimal line height settings, gaps between paragraphs, widows and orphans set to 1, etc., the space between the last line and the footer will vary. Disabling the header and footer will simply give you a variable height blank space at the bottom of the screen.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:43 PM   #49
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@Lyn2012,

Quite a few of those 'second values' in your attachment were incorrect. Not just the line 167 you referred to. Hopefully you found a completely clean source to start again.
Yes, I downloaded a fresh copy to work from and it is all working now. Thank you for pointing it out though.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:19 PM   #50
Ryzir
Connoisseur
Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook GL3, Kobo H2O, Nook STG, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500
The book pictured was converted in Calibre with Remove spacing between paragraphs checked, everything checked in Filter Style Information, and 'body {orphans: 1; widows: 1}' added to the Extra CSS. I'm also using Caecilia font.

I changed the code to this and set a font for the footer since Caecilla was getting text cut off with a small padding on bottom.

Code:
#
# Example for AuraHD/H2O:
replace_string = D54355, `min-height: 70px;`, `min-height: 50px;`
replace_string = D54368, `max-height: 70px;`, `max-height: 50px;`
replace_string = D54385, `footerMargin: 40;`, `footerMargin: 20;`
replace_string = D5439F, `font-size: 16px;`, `font-size: 26px;`
replace_string = D543B1, `padding-bottom: 0px;`, `padding-bottom: 6px;`
replace_string = D543C7, `margin-top: 0px;`, `margin-top: 0px;`
#
# Uncomment one of the following if you wish the footer to use a fixed font.
# (And enable one of the Custom header style patches below using the same font.)
#
#replace_string = D543D9, `/*font-family:none;*/`, `font-family:  Amasis;`
#replace_string = D543D9, `/*font-family:none;*/`, `font-family:  Avenir;`
replace_string = D543D9, `/*font-family:none;*/`, `font-family: Georgia;`
#
When I completely disable the footer the text fills the screen how I think it should with footer, albeit with space for the footer.

edit: I also disabled all other patches but enabled `ePub adjustable top/bottom margin` (for fullscreen reading).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_008.png
Views:	399
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	129341   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_009.png
Views:	378
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	129342  

Last edited by Ryzir; 10-07-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Ryzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #51
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzir View Post
I changed the code to this and set a font for the footer since Caecilla was getting text cut off with a small padding on bottom.

edit: I also disabled all other patches but enabled `ePub adjustable top/bottom margin` (for fullscreen reading).
All I can think to try is adding a negative margin-top to the footer:
Code:
replace_string = D543C7, `margin-top: 0px;`, `margin-top:-8px;`
On my Glo I can get the text to almost touch the line number, even without any negative margin, but maybe there is something different about the H2O.

Edit: A similar effect to adding negative margin-top is to reduce the min/max-height and add some extra padding-bottom to compensate. This will cause some fonts such as Gothic to be cut off, but with most fonts that sit at the centre of the line it should still work even if min/max-height is reduced to a few pixels more than the font-height. E.g. reducing min/max-height by 20px and adding an extra 10px padding-bottom should keep the footer in the same position relative to the bezel and have the same effect as a margin-top of -10px.

Edit2: have a look at this post, I understand this is with the HD/H2O example footer patch, but without the adjustable top/bottom margins patch: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=63

Last edited by GeoffR; 10-07-2014 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Note about reducing min/max-height and adding extra padding-bottom
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:59 PM   #52
Ryzir
Connoisseur
Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook GL3, Kobo H2O, Nook STG, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500
I got it working with this. I had to enable the line spacing and custom font patches and disabled the epub custom header and footer margins.
Code:
# Example for AuraHD/H2O:
replace_string = D54355, `min-height: 70px;`, `min-height: 36px;`
replace_string = D54368, `max-height: 70px;`, `max-height: 36px;`
replace_string = D54385, `footerMargin: 40;`, `footerMargin: 20;`
replace_string = D5439F, `font-size: 16px;`, `font-size: 26px;`
replace_string = D543B1, `padding-bottom: 0px;`, `padding-bottom:10px;`
replace_string = D543C7, `margin-top: 0px;`, `margin-top:-8px;`
#
# Uncomment one of the following if you wish the footer to use a fixed font.
# (And enable one of the Custom header style patches below using the same font.)
#
#replace_string = D543D9, `/*font-family:none;*/`, `font-family:  Amasis;`
#replace_string = D543D9, `/*font-family:none;*/`, `font-family:  Avenir;`
replace_string = D543D9, `/*font-family:none;*/`, `font-family: Georgia;`
#
There is still extra space with the book I stripped all css out of but it's not really a big deal.

edit: I reconverted that book but didn't strip any css and just added 'body {orphans: 1; widows: 1}' and it works properly now. Thanks everyone for all the help!

edit#2: Updated the code to include the font I'm using for the footer.

Last edited by Ryzir; 10-08-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Ryzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:33 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is it true that if the custom header patch is not used then there will be no header?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:52 AM   #54
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is it true that if the custom header patch is not used then there will be no header?
There is never a header in epubs. If you change the font-family or font-size in the footer, then the custom header patch allows you to change the kepub header to match. If you never read kepubs then you don't need to bother with the custom header patches.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:00 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
There is never a header in epubs. If you change the font-family or font-size in the footer, then the custom header patch allows you to change the kepub header to match. If you never read kepubs then you don't need to bother with the custom header patches.
Thank you for that.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:52 PM   #56
queven
queven began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura hd h2o
Can disable header in kobo epub? how to do it?
queven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #57
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by queven View Post
There is no patch to remove the kepub header and still keep the footer. The only way to remove the header is either to load the book as an epub, or use full-screen reading mode.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
If you had bothered to read a few messages before yours, you would not have asked that when the answer was already given because I asked a similar question.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:08 AM   #59
queven
queven began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura hd h2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
There is no patch to remove the kepub header and still keep the footer. The only way to remove the header is either to load the book as an epub, or use full-screen reading mode.
How use full-screen reading mode?

Last edited by queven; 10-09-2014 at 03:10 AM.
queven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
How use full-screen reading mode?
Please read the thread in full and then ask your questions. You are asking question that have been answered here already or are no needing to be asked.