Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #76
jimh12345
Connoisseur
jimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it is

Device: kindle
Who has successfully installed this JB, AND USBnetwork, AND successfully gotten a remote command shell - from Windows?

I thought I was going to try this, but I just looked at the readme for USBnetwork and... well forget it, it contains no guidance for Windows users. I don't have a clue what to use as a client on the Windows side.
jimh12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:56 PM   #77
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
I have along with Putty and it works great.. Check out this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...85&postcount=8
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #78
jimh12345
Connoisseur
jimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it is

Ooooh that looks like the right stuff. I've used Putty in the past, might even still have it installed. Thanks!

[update] Migawd that is complicated. It seems like you install usbnet, but then get a SSH session over wifi...?

Last edited by jimh12345; 06-20-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #79
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh12345 View Post
Ooooh that looks like the right stuff. I've used Putty in the past, might even still have it installed. Thanks!

[update] Migawd that is complicated. It seems like you install usbnet, but then get a SSH session over wifi...?
Yes when you go into the config file, and set the two items to true its over wifi.. But overall it was pretty simple and didnt deviate from the instructions. Once you get it working it sure is sweet. Also I couldnt really get USBnetwork to work over USB for whatever reason, but its a champ when using SSH and Filezilla SFTP
Old 06-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #80
jimh12345
Connoisseur

Just gotta summon up the will to grind through it...
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 12:02 AM   #81
pbcal
pbcal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jposhie View Post
Did you turn off wireless and rename the documents folder?
Yes I did. Still did not work for me.

Last edited by pbcal; 06-21-2011 at 07:53 AM.
pbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #82
pbcal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbcal View Post
I have tried the jailbreak on my KSO 3G version few times but could not make it to work.

Following change can make the jailbreak process a bit more reliable. I may be completely wrong and my idea may not make any sense.

Instead of doing "Update your Kindle" if we do a simple "Restart", on restart the kindle will see the bin file and try to load the update. Since in this case the kindle will initiate the update process id will be within a smaller range and will increase the success rate.

Again I am very new to Kindle world. Forgive me if I am wrong.
Yifanlu, Does it make any sense to you?
Old 06-21-2011, 08:01 AM   #83
pbcal

What OS are people using to do the JailBreak? I am using Win7 64 bit without success.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #84
volwrath
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbcal View Post
What OS are people using to do the JailBreak? I am using Win7 64 bit without success.
I used Win7X64 and have successfully jbed my KSO wifi twice. The directions didnt really have an effect on me because when I plug it in after I restart it shows the f: drive but wont let me open it. After a couple of minutes I just simply unplugged and then plugged it back in, copied, ran update and voila. I didnt change documents directory, I didnt turn off wifi. For my wifi it was simple and worked the first time both times I tried it (Dont ask why twice ehhe)

Good luck
Old 06-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #85
pbcal

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
I used Win7X64 and have successfully jbed my KSO wifi twice. The directions didnt really have an effect on me because when I plug it in after I restart it shows the f: drive but wont let me open it. After a couple of minutes I just simply unplugged and then plugged it back in, copied, ran update and voila. I didnt change documents directory, I didnt turn off wifi. For my wifi it was simple and worked the first time both times I tried it (Dont ask why twice ehhe)

Good luck
I have the KSO 3G version. Do not know if that will make any difference (other than the update file).
Old 06-24-2011, 01:42 AM   #86
CaelThunderwing
Zealot
CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: K3(Wifi+3G)
1/1 on using the update_jailbreak_0.5_k3w_install.bin w/o no linux or windows timing batch file.

Turned off wifi Made documents empty (copied off first then deleted on Device side) restarted let it boot to when it displayed my content list. put the .bin on root and Told kindle to update.

Yes i have a Ad Supported Kindle but No i dont want to remove em. its only a minor annoyance and doesnt affect reading. now if this made ya take a 5 min break every so short often THEN there'd be a reason.

but i got mine as a early Birthday Gift so im not going to Complain.
CaelThunderwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:57 PM   #87
bwlonge
bwlonge began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I successfully installed the jailbreak update on my Kindle 3 wifi w/ SO. I then signed on to my amazon account. The ads then appeared. Do I have to update AFTER I sign into my amazon account? How can I get these ads out of here?
bwlonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:53 AM   #88
CaelThunderwing
Zealot
CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: K3(Wifi+3G)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwlonge View Post
I successfully installed the jailbreak update on my Kindle 3 wifi w/ SO. I then signed on to my amazon account. The ads then appeared. Do I have to update AFTER I sign into my amazon account? How can I get these ads out of here?
you cant, not w/o violating the Useage Agreement, you bought the Kindle w/ SO and you agreed by buying it that you would accept those ads

besides. its only in screen saver and home. it doesnt force yyou to take a break or read em when your viewing a book.

besides Amazon has its Serial # taged as an SO Kindle. remove em, and they can ban it
CaelThunderwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #89
jimh12345
Connoisseur

Just my opinion, but I think these "agreements' that you supposedly enter merely by buying a product are not legal or enforceable. No agreement was presented to me by the retailer. There is nothing on the package claiming I enter into an agreement by opening it (and I believe such 'agreements' aren't binding). The enclosed documentation claims I enter into an agreement merely by using the product I just bought; I don't accept that. Maybe the DMCA includes language that supports these tactics, but even if it does I am confident some future court will strike it down.

I don't see anything in the Kindle 'terms' (www.amazon.com/kindle/terms) relating to ads. There's just a blanket statement that "You may not modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Kindle or the Software." Really? I own this product but I can't modify it? Not even engrave my name on the case?

Maybe the TV networks claim we can't record a show and skip the commercials. Sorry, Charlie.

My conscience is clear; I bought the device, I own it, I can modify it.

Last edited by jimh12345; 07-02-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #90
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh12345 View Post
Just my opinion, but I think these "agreements' that you supposedly enter merely by buying a product are not legal or enforceable. No agreement was presented to me by the retailer. There is nothing on the package claiming I enter into an agreement by opening it (and I believe such 'agreements' aren't binding). The enclosed documentation claims I enter into an agreement merely by using the product I just bought; I don't accept that. Maybe the DMCA includes language that supports these tactics, but even if it does I am confident some future court will strike it down.

I don't see anything in the Kindle 'terms' (www.amazon.com/kindle/terms) relating to ads. There's just a blanket statement that "You may not modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Kindle or the Software." Really? I own this product but I can't modify it? Not even engrave my name on the case?

Maybe the TV networks claim we can't record a show and skip the commercials. Sorry, Charlie.

My conscience is clear; I bought the device, I own it, I can modify it.
I have nothing against removing ads or people who do. If I said something to make it seem like I have something against people who do, I apologize.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote