Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-21-2011, 07:07 AM   #1
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Question Kindle 3G in Iran

I'm going on holiday to Iran in spring.
Will my Kindle 3G have any connection over there? Has anyone been there with a Kindle, or an iPad+ mobile hotspot?
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
AT&T K3s have no reception at all and Vodafone K3s have some basic EDGE around certain spots.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you; I have a vodafonecard in my Kindle and in the MIFI for my iPad.
I'll just download enough books for a month when I go (end of April) and will report on the forum where I have coverage.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
desertblues
Home for the moment

I have emailed with Vodafone to ask about their coverage in Iran; for my Blackberry.
From their answer, I gather that I may be able to connect with my Kindle to Amazon, or check my mail; as my (European version of the)Kindle also has a Vodafonecard.

Vodaphone:
"Thanks to the SIM card, which we have been delivering standard few years, your device will automatically choose for Vodafone (partner) network abroad. The networks in Iran, where Vodafone has a roaming agreement with: MCI over the GPRS network and Thuraya. "
Old 02-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Hmm. My first link is screwed up as its the same as the second link! Oops! Sorry!

AT&T K3 coverage shows nothing for Iran. Not that you care as you've got a Vodafone K3
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
desertblues
Home for the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
AT&T K3 coverage shows nothing for Iran.
Americans?
My creditcards, Visa etc won't work there either.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:19 AM   #7
desertblues
Home for the moment

For your information:
I'm travelling through Iran now for a month. I usually have free wifi in the hotels I'm staying, BUT

The browser on the Kindle works everywhere in Iran, though slowly, with no extra costs!

Last edited by desertblues; 05-21-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
desertblues
Home for the moment

Update after two weeks with a Kindle 3G from Tehran to the north: border Azerbaijan, Iraq. In 80 % of the time, the Kindle is able to connect to gmail, via Edge; near the border with Iraq is the worst reception.
But: although mailing in the Kindle is a painful affaire.....I'm glad to have it....works also when I have no other internet(in the bus etc) and is free.
Books from Amazon arrive prompt.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Nice. Good to know.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
desertblues
Home for the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
Update after two weeks with a Kindle 3G from Tehran to the north: border Azerbaijan, Iraq. In 80 % of the time, the Kindle is able to connect to gmail, via Edge; near the border with Iraq is the worst reception.
But: although mailing in the Kindle is a painful affaire.....I'm glad to have it....works also when I have no other internet(in the bus etc) and is free.
Books from Amazon arrive prompt.
Update: the Kindle 3G is able to connect with EDGE in 80 % of the time in the Iranian desert as well.

Last edited by desertblues; 05-21-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Great to hear. Now to figure out how to get Kindles to reformers

(whistles as she thinks)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:55 PM   #12
desertblues
Home for the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Great to hear. Now to figure out how to get Kindles to reformers

(whistles as she thinks)
I showed my Kindle to a Iranian guide, which was very interested.

Last edited by desertblues; 05-21-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:00 PM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Just hurry home so that I can stop worrying about you. Stay safe!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote