Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Kindle at Staples/Target

Any word about when Kindle will be in those stores?
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Rumor has it September 12th for Target. I read this at Kindle Boards, someone who is a friend of someone who works at Target had been told this. It is the only date I have heard but it is essentially a rumor heard through a second cousin.

Staples said that they would get them in the Fall with the DX coming for the Holidays. And now Best Buy will be selling the Kindle but no release date was listed in the announcement.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
thought I would drag this up...the current new ad for my area of SoCal shows Staples will have the K3 on 10/10/10....so we'll see if I am up to it I will wander over and see as it's walking distance.

http://weeklyad.staples.com/staples/...junk@nunya.biz

BTW, dunno how long that link will be valid as it's to the weekly ad. Once the K3 shows on the site I'll change it...

Last edited by brecklundin; 10-08-2010 at 05:00 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
At my local Target there are latest generation kindles, including one on display. You can actually see underneath the display the ones they have in stock. There were no Wifi+3G Kindles, but there were lots of wifi only ones.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

I think, at least at first, the Wifi models will be the most popular. Also, I almost wonder if Amazon is selling few wifi models online so there is simply more stock of them to distribute to retail outlets.

It will be interesting for sure...I think many of us wonder though about the training the staff has to actually sell and answer questions about them, or any other ebook readers. It's not like places like Staples or Target are willing to pay someone a fair wag for their knowledge of these and other tech devices. Still I also have wondered if there is much return on that for the retailer.

I have wondered if it might be viable to setup what amount to manned kiosk-type booths inside these stores kinda like is done for cell phones but for ebook devices, MP3 players and other portable type devices...obviously mfg's do depend on web info everywhere for sure, but maybe this is even more important to ebook readers, many of their potential customers are pretty gadget-phobic...I can see older readers who are very intrigued by the idea of a reader device but don't even have a cell phone because they are intimidated by them.

Honestly I think it would be fun to sell ereaders to people in such a situation.

Now, here is a question, for places that also sell books, say like a Target or Walmart (Sony readers only devices in their stores as far as I am aware), where do they position the display? Near the books or the electronics dept...I think at first I would put at least a big arse sign right inside every customer entry point. But after than are these best put in the book department or the electronics department...somewhere in between? Signage to direct people to the other location to see the devices and maybe buy them?

Location, location, location!!
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #6
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

At my local target a kindle was displayed prominently in a main aisle by the electronics section. Alas, it has been displaced by an ipad display. Now the kindle is hidden in the back with all the other electronics, same aisle as the sony readers, but on a different end. I guess the sony readers and the kindles couldn't get along.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
where do they position the display? Near the books or the electronics dept...
Just between the two in the back of my local Target. But, it's already been reduced to a case in the same aisle as the Sonys and the iPad has the end of aisle display.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
brecklundin
Banned

that is exactly what I sense would happen...these things are going to be relegated to obscurity. For me I worry it is because of the lack of appreciation of reading by those who run these departments and/or stores. Instead they push the more mind numbing products, which are just as fun, but, well, I just worry about these decisions defeating the whole idea of these devices.

Maybe it is going to take something like the grassroots level in the education market...just like Pocketbook is doing in Ukraine. I have been somewhat following their progress and focus, and I think they have it right...early exposure and people, even the parents, will get interested in these devices. But in the US device makers are forced to compete with the "more exciting" forms of entertainment who never learned the fun of escaping into a good book. Even Sony has to compete with their own PlayStation product.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #9
spellbanisher
Guru

I think the obscure placing of kindles at target is great. It makes going to target feel like a kindle safari. After hours of scouring the aisles finally finding the kindle is like spotting a rare and exotic animal in the wild.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
hehehhe

I have not been back to mine since the IPad was released at Target so I have no idea where they moved the Kindle to.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
The Target where I bought my K3 was on an end display, on an aisle in the middle of the electronics department. Had to find the electronics department's sales "dude" to unlock the storage case which was around the next aisle.

Haven't been in Staples recently, but my local Best Buy has a rather sad display area for the e-readers, well away from all the other electronics and facing the wall o' crap (including work out gloves and water bottles, of all things). All 3 displays look a bit shabby and highlight the fact there are no nooks or Kindles in stock, and only a few Sonys. FYI, I overheard a Best Buy clerk telling a customer there weren't any difference between the nook and Kindle except for price so that's why he should buy a Kindle! Good choice, bad logic..
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #12
dougef
dougef began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Was in Staples today and they had a display for Kindles. Had a demo unit of the K3 and where the DX would go it said coming soon. Had a few cases and a power cord below the demo units.
dougef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:08 AM   #13
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Was in a Staples today, big cardboard display at entrance that says "Kindle 3 is here!!!", but couldn't find a single Kindle anywhere in the store.

Not sure whether they are just hiding them very well, or they didn't have any.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #14
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
I purchased my K3 from staples 1 month ago today. At that time I had to drive to a staples out of the area because all of the local stores had sold out of the product. The store that I did drive to had 3 WIFI only units and 1 3G unit which I purchased. Staples keep them in lockup office since they generally don't have a glass security case on the floor. However don't be surprised if they are sold out.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:35 PM   #15
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Tried out Kindle 3 at a Staples today.

The demo unit has the browser disabled, so couldn't try that out, but the rest seemed to work ok.

Do the demo units at Target and BestBuy also have the browser disabled?
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote